austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5341

20200319_VIE.jpg

Homily at the funeral of Fr John Ty (1933-2020)

By Fr. Joseph Nguyen Van Quang
Provincial of Vietnam - Mongolia

HCM City, Vietnam, 16 March 2020 -- Dear brothers and sisters:

What Constitution article 54 states is also what Fr John Ty nourished in his constant readiness: "Here I am Lord, please send me" (Is 6:8)”. He conducted his life in the manner of Jesus the Good Shepherd, in the distinctive spirituality of profound humanness and profound holiness of Don Bosco! In fact, his life was one of working tirelessly, loving the young and serving them, advancing their well-being in spite of putting himself at risks, especially in the early history of Salesian missions in Vietnam, from May 1975 until recently.

After a long period of contracting various diseases since 2007, many times critical ones, he went through the ones that led to his death from 16-29 January, 2020, with heart attacks, kidney failure, liver inactivity, blood poisoning, end-stage diabetes, fluid-filled lungs. In spite of terminally ill pains like these, he heroically suffered them with strong will and consciousness control. Finally, at 4:00 PM on 29 January, after 20 minutes of personal agony, he gave his last breath to return to our Divine Father’s Home. For those who witnessed his departure, this was really a peaceful one, in the serene trust of a disciple of the Lord, who had called him, chosen him to be His servant, and to be sent out to serve. It seemed that he heard the consoling words of the Divine Master: “Good and faithful servant, come in and have the joy with your Lord!”

Looking at the biography of Fr John Nguyen Van Ty, we have to acknowledge that he lived his life with total dedication, high energy which came from the heart and his competence, a life of service in view of his Salesian vocation. The war took away his parents when he was a little boy. The religious sisters of Holy Cross in Hanoi raised him and sent him to the Therese Family at the orphanage of Christ The King run by Fr Paul Seitz (Fr. Kim in Vietnamese). In 1952, when Fr Paul Seitz was appointed bishop of Kontum, with the approval of the Salesian Superiors, Frs Giacomino and Andrew Maicen were sent to Vietnam to assume responsibilities for the orphanage of Christ The King. This was how young John Ty was brought into the Salesian Family with its spirit and way of life. Later on, he joined the aspirantate at Don Bosco Thu Duc in 1958, made his novitiate in 1960 and his first religious profession in 1961 and continued his formation. After his perpetual profession in 1967, he was sent to Rome for theological studies and was ordained in 1971 in the Basilica of Mary Help of Christians in Turin. Returning to Vietnam, he took on various responsibilities.

At the end of Vietnam War on 30 April 1975, as all missionary superiors were forced to go back to their home countries, the Vietnamese Salesians lived through years of unpredictable difficulties in various forms. It was at that historical moment that Fr John Ty was entrusted with the leadership role of the Salesian Delegation of Vietnam in spite of his young age. He courageously animated and led the Salesian presences and works. Together with other Vietnamese Salesians, without any sign of hope, he persevered in his leadership role and passed it on to his successors to be able to see the Spring time of the Salesian missions in Vietnam today. Indeed, he was Superior of the Salesian Delegation for 10 years, to be continued with 7 years as Superior of the Salesian Vice-Province and 6 years as the Provincial of Vietnam, 6 years as Novice Master and 11 years living in and serving the community at Ba Thon, and finally 2 years in the community at K’Long. It was he who decided to send the first Vietnamese ad gentes missionaries in 1999, and he himself received the missionary cross in 2005 to serve the Mongolian missions. Yet, because of the severe cold weather of Mongolia, he contracted critical sickness and after some recovery, he returned to Vietnam to continue his life of service.

Looking at Fr John Ty’s life and work, I think that this was a continual process of love, service without mundane calculations, dynamism, joy and optimism. He never hesitated to take steps for advancing the mission and yet, he was deeply human in heart and action. Let us remember that at the moment of our death we will have no legacy except what comes from our own sincere heart, from the love for others and not what comes from the positions or power, wealth, personal works. Fr John Ty bore witness to this truth: Charity has to be the first priority; therefore, living in love means living in union with God and expressing it by a life of giving oneself for the well-being of the young, for the life and growth of the Congregation in the province. His life was conducted in line with what St Paul affirms: “For the disciple of the Lord, to live means to live for the Lord, and to die means also to die for the Lord”. For us Salesians, we live for our brothers and sisters, for our young people.

To Reverend Father John Ty, I would like to use the prayer of Christ of the today Gospel as the sentiment of the whole province, in gratitude for him and in prayers for his eternal rest: “Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me in your love for me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father, the world has not known you, but I have known you; and these know that you have sent me. I made known to them your name, and I will make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them and I in them.” (Jn 17:24-26).

May God bless your earthly life with abundant rewards, Dear Fr John. May He reward you with a peaceful rest in His embracing and loving hands. May He bestow upon you His mercy, take away all of your sufferings, human limitations and weaknesses. Eternal rest grant to you, O Lord.

Related news article:

20200319_VIE1.jpg

20200319_VIE2.jpg

20200319_VIE3.jpg

20200319_VIE4.jpg

20200319_VIE5.jpg

20200319_VIE6.jpg

20200319_VIE7.jpg

20200319_VIE8.jpg

20200319_VIE9.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • vaclav 2020.03.19 19:11

Photos are mainly from the year 2002

when the province celebrated 50th anniversary

of the Salesian mission in Vietnam, esp.

from Hanoi, where the first work (Orphanage)

was open 1952

1. 5663(II)_Celebrating the Month of Don Bosco

By Isabella Saleu Port Moresby, PNG, 5 August 2021 -- As we commence the month of August, for some, it may just be an ordinary month, but for me and my Salesian family, it is the month of our Father, Teacher and Friend - St. John Bosco. For...
    Date2021.08.04 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1055 file
    Read More
  2. 5663(I)_Through the pandemic a more vibrant ADMA Japan emerges

By Fr. Angel Yamanouchi, SDB Spiritual Animator ADMA - Japan Tokyo, Japan, 5 August 2021 -- Thanks to the EAO ADMA Congress preparation, we are able to hear many encouraging ADMA (Association of Mary Help of Christians) around the whole reg...
    Date2021.08.04 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views687 file
    Read More
  3. 5662(II)_Perpetual profession of 3 EAO missionaries in Africa

Utume, Nairobi, Kenya, 3 August 2021 -- Last Saturday, 31 July, in the Shrine of Mary Help of Christians, Upper Hill, Nairobi - Kenya (AFE province), 10 young Salesians made their perpetual profession during the Eucharist celebrated by Fr. ...
    Date2021.08.03 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views915 file
    Read More
  4. 5662(I)_ADMA EAO Congress 2021 Registration open until August 15

By ADMA EAO Congress 2021 Steering Committee EAO 3 August 2021 -- On the first day of August 2021 the ADMA EAO Congress Steering Committee composed of the two EAO ADMA 'stronghold' countries - Timor Leste and the Philippines (TLS, F...
    Date2021.08.03 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views763 file
    Read More
  5. 5661_See Something Suspicious, Say Something

By Nigel Akuani Port Moresby, PNG, 2 August 2021 -- Since the establishment of Papua New Guinea’s Whistleblower Act in 2020, young people are now making a genuine call to people of good will serving in the workforce to speak up and re...
    Date2021.08.02 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views732 file
    Read More
  6. 5660(IV)_The Reception of two new FMA postulants in Myanmar

“The Almighty has done great thing for me. Lk. 1:49” By Sr. Juliet Kwye Kwye, FMA Anisakan (Myanmar), 30 July 2021 -- On 24 July 2021, on the day of the Commemoration of Mary Help of Christians, two Myanmar young girls, Lucy and...
    Date2021.07.30 CategoryFMA Reply0 Views1350 file
    Read More
  7. 5660(III)_August 2021 - EAO Time of Vocational Blessing

By our own correspondent Rome, 30 July 2021 -- In the Southern hemisphere the month of August is celebrated around the Salesian provinces as the 'Month of Don Bosco'. Our hope is that our Salesian Family members in Australia-Pacific...
    Date2021.07.30 CategoryEAO Reply3 Views7638 file
    Read More
  8. 5660(II)_ADMA Spring in Indonesia - new Center in Jakarta

By Sr. Ernestina de Jesus, FMA Jakarta, Indonesia, 30 July 2021 -- For the upcoming EAO regional ADMA Congress any member of the Salesian Family is welcome! 11 years after the first EAO ADMA Congress in Paranaque (2010), there are many more...
    Date2021.07.30 CategoryINA Reply0 Views823 file
    Read More
  9. 5660(I)_FMA: Dream big for the ladies

By Sr Cristina Villasanta, FMA Port Moresby, PNG, 30 July 2021 -- ‘Dream Big for the ladies’ was the encouragement of Sr. Mabel Pilar, FMA (former Provincial Superior) and Sr. Teresita Padron, FMA, the present Provincial, to the...
    Date2021.07.30 CategoryFMA Reply0 Views651 file
    Read More
  10. 5659_Youth Leaders undergo Formation Training

By Christine Maden Rabaul, East New Britain, Papua New Guinea, 28 July 2021 -- Thirty-two youth leaders of the Mary Help of Christians (MHC) Parish, Rapolo, attended an intense one-day formation training at the Haus Sekan Retreat Center, Ra...
    Date2021.07.28 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views644 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ... 533 Next
/ 533