?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
20190523_KOR.jpg

The most senior member of the Korea Salesian province

By Fr Samuel Yu, SDB

Seoul, Korea, 23 May 2019 -- The most senior member of the Korea Salesian province, most sought-after Salesian confessor Fr Jose Maria Blanco, Spain missionary, is celebrating his 60th anniversary of priestly ordination this year.

Fr Blanco's vocation story

Fr. Blanco was born on 18 August 1930 in Madrid, Spain as the second of five siblings (three brothers and two sisters). During the Salesian retreat in September 1945, teenager Jose Maria decides for religious vocation after reading the biography of St Francis Xavier. He shared his dream with his Salesian confessor of living for God and gave his best effort in prayer and studies, scrapping his dream of becoming a pilot, and entering the Salesian formation house.

After the novitiate he made his first profession in 1949 (70th anniversary in 2019) and was sent as a missionary to Japan, first serving in the orphanage – Boys Town: “Among our batch of 63 Salesians who made the first profession, no fewer than 30 of us submited their application for the missions. Unlike many of my friends I was not sent to Latin America, but to Japan. Since I needed the permission of my parents, my father agreed.” After his studies and apostolic work in Tokyo, Fr Jose Maria was ordained to the priesthood in Tokyo on March 8, 1959.

From Japan to Korea

As a busy working young missionary priest in Japan, after his first home visit, Fr. Blanco suddenly received a new obedience: ‘I still remember 13 March 1962. Just after returning from Spain, I was called by Father Provincial: "Without opening your luggage, make preparations for your travel to Korea." Honestly, I didn’t want to go to Korea, since I was already accustomed to life in Japan and I was afraid to learn another new language and adjust to another new culture and environment. However, I thought that this is the will of God and gladly accepted this obedience.’

On 30 March 1962 at 3 p.m. I arrived at Gimpo airport in Seoul and my first obedience was the Salesian parish in Dorim Dong, Seoul: ‘Living in the Dorim Dong parish, it was beautiful to listen every morning to the fervent prayer of the faithful. It was also my great joy to play with the children coming to the parish. After my arrival, I received my new Korean name ‘Father Wang Joseph’.

Then Fr Joseph experienced the apostolate in Gwangju and in Seoul as an evangelizer among the poor and marginalized people. And with this heart he has already spent 57 years in Korea.

Eucharist and Mary-centred Salesian life

Currently, Fr Jose Maria is living in the provincial house community (Seoul) as provincial archivist, translator of official correspondence between our province and the General House in Rome. According to his Korean age Fr Blanco in 2019 would already be 90 years old, however he has better health than many younger confreres, his diligent and healthy life style becomes a good model for the younger Salesian generations.

‘Our vocation is a great grace from God. We need to humbly give thanks to the Lord who calls us to this life. Even in the busy daily life we should not miss Eucharistic adoration, because God is the centre of our life! And we should also entrust all to our Mother Mary. She is the mother of us all and intercedes for us!’

Related news article:

20190523_KOR1.jpg

20190523_KOR2.jpg

20190523_KOR3.jpg

20190523_KOR4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5683(III)_Salesian Mission Day and Timor-Leste Referendum

By Fr. Jolino Vieira,SDB Don Bosco Comoro, Dili, Timor Leste, 31 August 2021 -- The Salesian congregation in TLS vice-province celebrated Salesian Mission Day on 30 August 2021 in Comoro, Don Bosco, Dili. This celebration was carried out am...
    Date2021.08.31 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views618 file
    Read More
  2. 5683(II)_San Ildefonso Parish Makati and Plastic Bank

Creating Laudato Si Families through Eradicating Plastic Pollution By Fr. Antonio “Beng-Beng” Molavin, SDB Makati, Metro manila, The Philippines, 31 August 2021 -- The rector of San Ildefonso Parish-Makati, Philippines, Fr. Anto...
    Date2021.08.31 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1204 file
    Read More
  3. 5683(I)_‘Don Bosco Stap Wantaim Mipela Na Was Lo Mipela.’

Don Bosco be with us and guide us By Isabella Saleu Kumgi, Simbu Province, PNG 31 August2021 -- The students, staff and religious community of Don Bosco Simbu Technical College in Simbu Province, joined in mind, heart and spirit, with their...
    Date2021.08.31 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views3047 file
    Read More
  4. 5682(II)_An inspiring experience of Young ADMA in Manila

By Mr Sampiano Froiland St Ildefonso Parish Metro Manila, The Philippines, 29 August 2021 -- The ADMA 2nd EAO (Online) Congress is coming up soon (11-12 September). We hope this Manila young ADMA experience will inspire many to invite our y...
    Date2021.08.29 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1478 file
    Read More
  5. 5682(I)_Golden Heart Amid The Epidemic

By Augustine DoPhuc, SDB Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 28 August 2021 -- Since the outbreak of the disease until now, within more than 2 months, with the compassion of the Shepherd, Fr. Peter Pham Huy Hoang SDB has joined the parishioners of D...
    Date2021.08.29 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1598 file
    Read More
  6. 5681(II)_New Hopeful Journey Of New Rector In Don Bosco Bencat Community

“Glory is fleeting, but responsibility is long-lasting”(Fr. Peter Hoang) By Augustine DoPhuc, SDB Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam, 27 August 2021 -- At the same time of the some other communities of Vietnam, at 10am on 15 August 2021,...
    Date2021.08.27 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views760 file
    Read More
  7. 5681(I)_Caritas sisters welcome first novices after 10 years in Africa

By CSJ Sisters Uganda, Africa, 27 August 2021 -- Just 10 years after starting their first African presence in Juba, South Sudan, the Caritas Sisters of Jesus give thanks to God for their first African novices in Uganda: "We entered Uganda p...
    Date2021.08.27 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views789 file
    Read More
  8. 5680(II)_New Rector Of VIE Provincial Community

By Augustine DoPhuc, SDB Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam, 25 August 2021 -- On 15 August 2021, the whole Church celebrated the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven. Sharing that joy, the Provincial community (Vietnam...
    Date2021.08.25 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1576 file
    Read More
  9. 5680(I)_New ADMA opening group in Lahore, Pakistan

By Bro. Noel Clement SDB Lahore, Pakistan, 25 August 2021 -- On 24 August 2021, being the commemoration of Mary Help of Christians, Don Bosco Technical and Youth Center Lahore had its first Institutional Mass for the School year 2021-22. Du...
    Date2021.08.25 CategoryPak. Reply0 Views1461 file
    Read More
  10. 5679(VII)_Current Status Of Young Migrant Worker Families In Saigon’s Hostels Amid The Covid 19 Pandemic

By Augustine Do Phuc, SDB Saigon, Vietnam, 23 August 2021 -- During the days of living through the situation of blockade and isolation because of the pandemic, the families of migrant workers in Saigon have had to live in fear and with seri...
    Date2021.08.24 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views643 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 ... 533 Next
/ 533