PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5368

20200505_RMG.jpg

Our 28th "Special" General Chapter

By Fr. Angel F. Artime
Rector Major

With the date of 4th April, the Successor of Don Bosco sent his 2020 Easter Letter to "my dear confreres, Salesians of Don Bosco, to my dear Salesian Family, to the laity committed to the Salesian Mission and to the youth leaders, educators and catechists".

The main content of the letter focuses on the Valdocco experience and message of General Chapter 28 and our Salesian response to the Covid19 pandemic situation. The letter is divided into 7 sections

1. Coming to the Cradle of the Salesian Charism (GC28 after 62 years at Valdocco) 2. A world, including ourselves, struck by Coronavirus (Covid19) 3. A pandemic with serious consequences, including economics ones, in my of our houses 4. In a General Chapter in which young people have played a leading role 5. With a very significant presence of Pope Francis 6. A failed General Chapter...? 7. The spirit of General Chapter 28: 'The 'Valdocco Option', the spirit of Valdocco

The concluding part of the letter offers a strong motivation to all of us - Salesians, Salesian Family members, Lay mission partners and young people:

"It was the Holy Father, Pope Francis, who in his profound, beautiful and agenda-setting message to the General Chapter proposed that we make what he called the “Valdocco option” the sure point of reference for comparing ourselves with our source and origin, and to ask the Lord to grant us, as Don Bosco asked, to make the Da mihi animas, coetera tolle a reality. This is why Fr Pascual Chávez’s words can help us look at what Valdocco has been and will be in the present and the future, such that this very “special” General Chapter may well be valued in Salesian history precisely as the Chapter in which “we returned to Valdocco to start out again from Valdocco.”

“After 60 years a General Chapter has once again taken place at Valdocco, and this is already very significant because it is the cradle of our charism and mission, our charismatic origins are found there and hence our originality in the Church and in the world!

Valdocco brings us back to the ‘Pinardi shed’, at Easter 1846 after Don Bosco’s “Good Friday”, when he suffered indescribably at not humanly seeing a future for his boys. We were born that Easter beneath a lowly shed, our first home.

Valdocco brings us back to Mamma Margaret who, in order to accompany her son, left the Becchi and all it meant for her, and moved with him to that poor place, and for 10 years until her death on 25 November 1856, worked with a mother’s tireless love to make the Oratory a true ‘home’ for boys without a family.

Valdocco brings us back to Dominic Savio who, after arriving in 1854, in just two years under Don Bosco’s wise guidance reached the highest degree of holiness through his purity of life, intense experience of God, apostolic charity, fulfilment of his duties, founding the ‘Immaculate Conception Sodality’ that two years later would become the seed from which the Salesian Congregation would be born.

Valdocco brings us back to the great friends and collaborators of Don Bosco, Saint Joseph Cafasso, Marchioness Barolo, Saint Leonard Murialdo, Saint Aloysius Guanella … and to the first Salesians, those who made his threefold dream a reality: seeing the wolves become lambs and the lambs become shepherd and the shepherds missionaries!

Valdocco means the Pinardi church, the Oratory’s first church, and means the Church of Saint Francis de Sales, the one that we can consider the church of Salesian holiness, knowing who prayed there: Don Bosco, Mamma Margaret, Dominic Savio, Don Rua, Bishop Cagliero, Don Rinaldi, the saints named above. It was there, behind the altar, that Dominic Savio was seen in ecstasy.

Valdocco means the Basilica of Mary Help of Christians, The Mother's House, from where her glory went out, the monument of Don Bosco's gratitude to her who had done everything among us, from the dream at nine years of age when she was given to him as ‘mother and teacher’ until today. “We believe that Mary is present among us and continues her mission as Mother of the Church and Help of Christians.”

Valdocco means the life of the Congregation spread today across 134 countries of the world, and of the whole Salesian Family in its 33 branches officially belonging to it. In the Basilica are found the caskets of Don Bosco, Dominic Savio, Mother Mazzarello, Don Rua, Don Rinaldi, and all Don Bosco’s Successors.

Valdocco represents the point of departure for all the missionary expeditions, from the first one in 1875 to the 150th last year, that have made it possible for the Salesian charism to go out to the whole world with thousands of Salesians who, with total generosity to the point of martyrdom, have borne and faithfully planted the charism of Don Bosco, as demonstrated by the vocational fruitfulness, growth in presences, holiness of confreres, young people and members of the Salesian Family.

I ask our Mother the Help of Christians, in front of whose altar and in whose house in Valdocco we have prayed so much, that grace and the gift of fidelity may continue to come to us from the Lord, so that what Sacred Scripture says may become a reality in us: “Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me – put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you” (Phil 4:9). May Don Bosco continue to take care, in God, of his Congregation and his Salesian Family. Amen."

(Fr. Angel F. Artime, Rector Major)

20200505_RMG1.jpg

20200505_RMG2.jpg

20200505_RMG3.jpg

20200505_RMG5.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5688(I)_Don Bosco Can Gio - Silent But Powerful

By Augustine DoPhuc SDB Saigon, Vietnam, 7 September 2021 -- Located in the periphery of Saigon - Viet Nam, the small parish of Don Bosco Can Gio is still quietly making efforts to accompany the people with food support, despite geographica...
    Date2021.09.07 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1324 file
    Read More
  2. 5687(II)_The Blue Prophets of Don Bosco Tam Hai Parish

They are like restless waves, bringing love to every alley, every remote hamlet By Augustine DoPhuc SDB Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam, 6 September 2021 -- During the time of strict isolation due to the epidemic, Don Bosco Tam Hai parish continu...
    Date2021.09.06 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1871 file
    Read More
  3. 5687(I)_75 years of Don Bosco in Timor Leste (1946-2021)

By Fr Jolino Vieira, SDB Dili - Timor Leste, 4 September 2021 -- Bishop Carlos Ximenes Filipe Belo (Bishop Emeritus of the Diocese of Dili) has written a book to be launched on 22 September in Portugal. This book is written to celebrate the...
    Date2021.09.06 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views721 file
    Read More
  4. 5686(III)_A Visually-Impaired Salesian Past Pupil At The Paralympic Games 2020

From Impairedness to Greatness By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 3 September 2021 --In the Tokyo Paralympic Games 2020, from 24 August to 5 September 2021, the army of 77 physically-challenged sportsmen from Thailand joined this special event. T...
    Date2021.09.03 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1134 file
    Read More
  5. 5686(II)_The Salesians of Don Bosco Xuân Hiệp Support For The Needy During the Pandemic

By Augustine DoPhuc SDB Xuân Hiệp, Vietnam, 3 September 2021 -- During the epidemic, with the support of benefactors, the Salesians of Don Bosco Xuan Hiep community (Thu Duc, Ho Chi Minh City) had several rounds of food and water supp...
    Date2021.09.03 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1114 file
    Read More
  6. 5686(I)_The Golden Jubilee of Profession of Fr. James Kyaw Hoe, SDB

By Cl. Peter Duc Nguyen, SDB Suva, Fiji Islands, 3 September 2021 –- On Wednesday 1 September 2021, the Don Bosco community was glad to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Profession of Fr James Kyaw Hoe SDB. The celebration was ver...
    Date2021.09.03 CategoryPac. Reply1 Views1157 file
    Read More
  7. 5685(II)_Young people gather for Wantok Bosco Camp

By Sr. Claudia Aragon FMA Tetere, Solomon Islands -- About 400 youths gathered at the Don Bosco Rural Training Centre, Tetere, from 27-29 August, 2021 for the annual Wantok Bosco Camp that had as its theme, ‘Don Bosco Youths; Holy, Fo...
    Date2021.09.02 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views697 file
    Read More
  8. 5685(I)_“Into Your hands, O Lord, I entrust my soul”

Father Lagger Germain, SDB, RIP By VIE SC VIE, 2 September 2021 -- With heartfelt gratitude to one of the great Salesian missionaries in Vietnam before the year 1975, the Salesian Province of Vietnam announces: Father Lagger Germain, SDB (V...
    Date2021.09.02 CategoryVIE Reply1 Views2236 file
    Read More
  9. 5684_The Heart Never Sleeps

By Augustine DoPhuc SDB Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam, 01 September 2021 -- During the strictest blockade due to the pandemic (from August 23 to now), the parish priest and parishioners of Don Bosco Xuan Hiep parish continued to make efforts to...
    Date2021.09.01 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1322 file
    Read More
  10. 5683(IV)_If the young cannot come to Don Bosco, Don Bosco will go to the young

By Afia Enosa, SDB Don Bosco House, Nakosi, Fiji, 31 August 2021 -- There was a lot of excitement and shouts of joy when Br. Minh Duc, Br. Anh Vu and Br. Afi’a Enosa paid a brief pastoral visit to the young people and their families i...
    Date2021.08.31 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views793 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 ... 533 Next
/ 533