?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
20190523_KOR.jpg

The most senior member of the Korea Salesian province

By Fr Samuel Yu, SDB

Seoul, Korea, 23 May 2019 -- The most senior member of the Korea Salesian province, most sought-after Salesian confessor Fr Jose Maria Blanco, Spain missionary, is celebrating his 60th anniversary of priestly ordination this year.

Fr Blanco's vocation story

Fr. Blanco was born on 18 August 1930 in Madrid, Spain as the second of five siblings (three brothers and two sisters). During the Salesian retreat in September 1945, teenager Jose Maria decides for religious vocation after reading the biography of St Francis Xavier. He shared his dream with his Salesian confessor of living for God and gave his best effort in prayer and studies, scrapping his dream of becoming a pilot, and entering the Salesian formation house.

After the novitiate he made his first profession in 1949 (70th anniversary in 2019) and was sent as a missionary to Japan, first serving in the orphanage – Boys Town: “Among our batch of 63 Salesians who made the first profession, no fewer than 30 of us submited their application for the missions. Unlike many of my friends I was not sent to Latin America, but to Japan. Since I needed the permission of my parents, my father agreed.” After his studies and apostolic work in Tokyo, Fr Jose Maria was ordained to the priesthood in Tokyo on March 8, 1959.

From Japan to Korea

As a busy working young missionary priest in Japan, after his first home visit, Fr. Blanco suddenly received a new obedience: ‘I still remember 13 March 1962. Just after returning from Spain, I was called by Father Provincial: "Without opening your luggage, make preparations for your travel to Korea." Honestly, I didn’t want to go to Korea, since I was already accustomed to life in Japan and I was afraid to learn another new language and adjust to another new culture and environment. However, I thought that this is the will of God and gladly accepted this obedience.’

On 30 March 1962 at 3 p.m. I arrived at Gimpo airport in Seoul and my first obedience was the Salesian parish in Dorim Dong, Seoul: ‘Living in the Dorim Dong parish, it was beautiful to listen every morning to the fervent prayer of the faithful. It was also my great joy to play with the children coming to the parish. After my arrival, I received my new Korean name ‘Father Wang Joseph’.

Then Fr Joseph experienced the apostolate in Gwangju and in Seoul as an evangelizer among the poor and marginalized people. And with this heart he has already spent 57 years in Korea.

Eucharist and Mary-centred Salesian life

Currently, Fr Jose Maria is living in the provincial house community (Seoul) as provincial archivist, translator of official correspondence between our province and the General House in Rome. According to his Korean age Fr Blanco in 2019 would already be 90 years old, however he has better health than many younger confreres, his diligent and healthy life style becomes a good model for the younger Salesian generations.

‘Our vocation is a great grace from God. We need to humbly give thanks to the Lord who calls us to this life. Even in the busy daily life we should not miss Eucharistic adoration, because God is the centre of our life! And we should also entrust all to our Mother Mary. She is the mother of us all and intercedes for us!’

Related news article:

20190523_KOR1.jpg

20190523_KOR2.jpg

20190523_KOR3.jpg

20190523_KOR4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5754(IV)_Saint Francis de Sales as the inspiration for 2022

Strenna 2022: 'Do all through love, nothing through constraint!' Rome, General House, 31 December 2021 -- Given the earlier experiment in 2020, this year too the traditional New Year gift (Strenna) of Don Bosco’s successor was...
    Date2021.12.31 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views1072 file
    Read More
  2. 5754(III)_Warmest Christmas greetings from Mongolia

Ulanbaatar, Mongolia, 31 December 2021 -- The three most northern Don Bosco presences in the EAO region are located in the Mongolia Delegation: Darkhan, Shuwuu and Ulanbaatar. For the past two years due to travel restrictions they have been...
    Date2021.12.31 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views612 file
    Read More
  3. 5754(II)_Christmas Joy of EAO novice in Africa

By Nov. Sunil Iqbal Don Bosco Sunyani, Ghana, Western Africa, 31 December 2021 -- Merry Christmas/Happy new Year from the Don Bosco Sunyani community in Ghana, Western Africa! We were told, that 25-40 years ago the first African SDB novices...
    Date2021.12.31 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views751 file
    Read More
  4. 5754(I)_Christmas at Don Bosco My Thuan Community

By Augustine DoPhuc, SDB VinhLong, Vietnam, 31 December 2021 -- Although the epidemic situation is still affecting people’s lives, the Christmas atmosphere is still very clearly expressed at Don Bosco My Thuan Community (VinhLong &nda...
    Date2021.12.31 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1239 file
    Read More
  5. 5753(II)_Christmas Presents Distribution - A Meaningful Activity

By Augustine DoPhuc, SDB Don Bosco Tacvan Parish, Vietnam, 27 December 2021 -- At 7:30 AM on Tuesday, 21 December 2021, Don Bosco Tac Van Community (CanTho Diocese - VietNam) organized a Christmas gift distribution activity. Poor families, ...
    Date2021.12.28 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views618 file
    Read More
  6. 5753(I)_Christmas Act of Charity in Laos

By THA SC Vientiane, Laos, 25 December 2021 -- “Just an act of charity work...like Don Bosco”- this is the answer of the Vientiane Salesians who for the past 4 years have come on Christmas Day to share some food with those less ...
    Date2021.12.28 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1003 file
    Read More
  7. 5752_Dalat Community Cooperators Resume Their Activities

By Augustine DoPhuc, SDB Da Lat City, Vietnam, 24 December 2021 -- After seven months of suspending meetings because of the Covid-19 pandemic, on the afternoon of 16 December the Mary Help Of Christians Cooperator Center had a meeting and a...
    Date2021.12.24 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views543 file
    Read More
  8. 5751(IV)_The Best of EAO in 2021

22 December 2021 One year is slowly coming to an end. For the Filipinos it was 500th Jubilee Year of Evangelization, for the Salesian Family the 180th year of the Oratory, for the Past Pupils the conclusion to the 150th anniversary of their...
    Date2021.12.23 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views655 file
    Read More
  9. 5751(III)_Golden Straws for the Child Jesus

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 22 December 2021 -- In order to raise the spirit of solidarity, love and create meaningful activities during the Christmas season for Children, the Catechism department of Don Bosco Tam Hai Parish (Thu Duc – ...
    Date2021.12.23 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views2097 file
    Read More
  10. 5751(II)_Course for the vocational trainees and the gathering of the Past Pupils

By A. Maung Maung, SDB Don Bosco-Myitkyina, Myanmar, 22 December 2021 -- A full three-day course for the trainees at Don Bosco Vocational Centre was held by the youth commission of the vice-province of Myanmar, from 17-20 December 2021, in ...
    Date2021.12.23 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views734 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 ... 536 Next
/ 536