austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20190414_FIS.jpg

By Bro. Jeffrey Umbu, INA

Dumangas, the Philippines, 11 April 2019 -- My name is Jefrianus Umbu Dapa Loka, SDB, born on 31 January,1995, in Sumba Island (Indonesia, near the SDB formation house). I got to learn about Jesus through my family, who taught me the catechism ever since I was I child. My mother taught me how to pray and brought me to church every Sunday to attend Mass. Aside from my family, my school and the oratory with the Salesians, I also tried to hone my life to be a better Christian. That is the reason why I also got to know about the life and work of the Salesians, which inspired me to follow in their footsteps by offering myself to become a Salesian Brother.

After learning about the life of Don Bosco in the oratory, I have always aspired to become a Salesian. After finishing my secondary years in school, I entered the Tigaraksa community to be an aspirant last 2014, then transferred as a prenovice in 2015 and to the novitiate in 2016. Thanks be to God I made my first profession in Sumba community on 24 July, 2016. My formation has been a memorable experience, learning about the Salesian spirit. After my first profession, I continued my formation in the postnovitiate in Jakarta - Wisma Don Bosco - for the last two years.

Ont 5 September 2018, I arrived in the Dumangas community (FIS - Philippines South) for my practical training. At first, it was really hard because I was afraid to connect and communicate with other people due to my poor English. Moreover, I do not have many skills to share with the young, but I believe that God always guides and helps me in whatever I do. I am grateful to my confreres and the people here in Dumangas because they are very kind and they help me in any way they can. The culture of the Philippines and Indonesia are quite similar and the people are always so hospitable and willing to give a helping hand, that is the reason I have not experienced any culture shock.

Since I have been staying with the young people in the Boys Home in Dumangas, I have learned that the majority of them were just forced to come here because of poverty. Many of them shared that they did not want to be away from their family, but because of financial incapacity they chose to live and serve in Don Bosco in exchange for education. Through this, I have realised their determination to finish their school despite some sacrifices. That also applies to me to be serious in my Salesian vocation, I have to stay strong and be determined to be able to achieve what I want despite setbacks.

I am happy to share my Salesian life with my confreres and to dedicate my life to the young people. At the same time I am also grateful to become a good example for the young people here.

20190414_FIS1.jpg

20190414_FIS2.jpg

20190414_FIS3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5758_Dossier by the Salesian Postulation 2021

World, 8 January 2022 -- Every January is called a 'Salesian Month' due to the large number of Salesian Family Saints from 8 January to the end of the month: January 8: Blessed Martyr Titus Zeman (Martyr of Vocations) January 15: Bl...
    Date2022.01.08 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views2084 file
    Read More
  2. 5757(V)_A Feast of Music

Music for January's feasts and beyond World, 6 January 2022 -- January is the busiest month of them all for Salesian celebrations of our Saints and Blesseds, beginning with Blessed Titus Zeman on 8 January, followed then by Blessed Aloy...
    Date2022.01.07 CategoryWorld Reply1 Views1669 file
    Read More
  3. 5757(IV)_“If you want something done, ask a busy person”

Fr. Tsuchiya, SDB (1934-2021) RIP By Fr. Michael Lap, SBD Tokyo, Japan 6 January 2022 -- Father Tarcisio Tsuchiya Shigeaki ,sdb entered Don Bosco's garden on 29 December 2021 at the age 87 and 68 years of Salesian life in Osaka - Japan....
    Date2022.01.07 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views13051 file
    Read More
  4. 5757(III)_Oratory Fun Day, Suva

By Afia Enosa DB Youth Centre, Suva, Fiji, 5 January 2022 -- The events of the day began with a prayer led by Dc. Atonio Lealea. Then, Bros. Peter Anh Vuh, Peter Minh Duc and Afi’a Enosa and a group of young leaders took the young thr...
    Date2022.01.07 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views4624 file
    Read More
  5. 5757(II)_Korea province shares the memory of Fr John Lee (+2010)

South Korea, 5 January 2022 -- 12 years after the premature death of the Korean Salesian missionary in South Sudan, the life story of Fr John Lee continues to inspire many in South Korea and beyond. Due to the pandemic, the 10th death anniv...
    Date2022.01.07 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views892 file
    Read More
  6. 5757(I)_Don Bosco My Thuan Community: Sports and Arts Festival

By Augustine DoPhuc SDB My Thuan, Vinh Long, Vietnam, 5 January 2022 -- On the morning of January 1, 2021, My Thuan Community (Vinh Long – Viet Nam) held a Sports and Arts Day to welcome the new year with the theme "Spring of Love" fo...
    Date2022.01.07 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views528 file
    Read More
  7. 5756(III)_A Moving Tale From Amid the Turmoil of Typhoon Odette

By Jan Odivilas Cebu, 30 December 2021 -- Three days before typhoon Odette struck, the home of this poor tiny girl burned down with 50 other houses. Her parents were in fact trying to build a make-shift shelter from parish donations when th...
    Date2022.01.04 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1015 file
    Read More
  8. 5756(II)_Mongolian Past Pupil falls in love with Calligraphy and Don Bosco

By Br. Andrew Tran Le Phuong, SDB Ulanbaatar - Mongolia, 4 January 2022 -- Ms Mungunbolor graduated from Don Bosco Technical Institute in Ulanbaatar and since 2011 has been working in the school Administration. After graduation, she worked ...
    Date2022.01.04 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views1018 file
    Read More
  9. 5756(I)_Celebrating the Holy Family of Nazareth

By Br. Attisso Joel Rapolo, Rabaul, East New Britain, PNG, 4 January 2021 -- The Sunday of the Holy Family of Nazareth: Jesus Mary and Joseph, was celebrated by parishioners of the Mary Help of Christians in Rapolo on 26 December 2021. Pres...
    Date2022.01.04 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views678 file
    Read More
  10. 5755_Entrustment of St Michael's Myo Thit Kyi Parish to Salesians

By A. Maung Maung, SDB Myitkyina, Kachin State, Myanmar, January 3 2022 -- On January 1 2022, as we welcomed the new year 2022 and celebrated the solemnity of the Holy Mother of God, a new parish of St Michael's Myo Thit Kyi, in Myikyin...
    Date2022.01.03 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views938 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 ... 537 Next
/ 537