PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5453

20200825_AUL.jpg

"Like ships, Salesians are not built for safe harbour!"

By Fr Will Matthews
Provincial Australia-Pacific

Melbourne, Australia, 25 August 2020 -- We are happy to share the ongoing experience of Salesian Mission Day 2020 within the Australia - Pacific (AUL) province of Australia-New Zealand-Fiji-Samoa. In his recent Circular letter n0. 621 (24 August 2020), Fr Will Matthews (AUL provincial) motivates his confreres with his introduction page 'From the Provincial':

"Dear Confreres, having been to a number of Salesian Regional meetings in the last few years and the Salesian General Chapter in Turin earlier this year, I have come across many Salesians from other parts of the world who asked me if I was a missionary to Australia. Many Salesians were puzzled and surprised to meet me as the Provincial of Australia - Pacific Province. I smile and with my usual reply that I migrated to Australia with my family, joining the Province as a prenovice, having had all priestly training in Melbourne before being ordained a priest in my home town Perth, and now serving as the 11th Provincial. In short, I assure the inquisitors that I was not a missionary sent to Australia.

But, I affirm and make a point that every Salesian is a missionary by nature regardless of where you come from and where you serve. Our Province is built on the hard work of missionaries primarily from Europe. We are truly grateful for the firm foundation established by those selfless Confreres. Some Confreres are still living, and celebrating big anniversaries of Profession and Ordination.

In the past weeks, a young Vietnamese missionary, Br Peter Duc, professed his perpetual vows into the hands of Fr Jim Hoe in Fiji who represented the Rector Major. Another Vietnamese missionary, Br Peter Vu, renewed his vows in Salelologa into the hands of Fr Petelo Vito, a representative of the Rector Major. Both Peter Duc and Peter Vu might remind many elderly Salesians in the Province who were in similar positions in Australia over 50, 60 or 70 years ago. They can now look back with profound gratitude and thank God for their calling and the sacrifices they have made.

A Salesian without missionary spirit is not a Salesian at all! He is not true to his vocation. Don Bosco wanted all his sons to be missionaries to the young wherever they may be: schools, youth centres, parishes, camps, playgrounds and virtual worlds.

Recently, the Provincial Delegate for Missionary Animation, Lauren Hichaaba, sent out a message to you all promoting missionary awareness in your community and work especially from 15th August to 15 September. The theme this year is ‘Initial Proclamation through Oratories and Youth Centres’. We are asked to emphasize more in the playgrounds to share and witness the love of God to the young through our lives and action.

Sometimes, as human beings, some Salesians may feel extremely comfortable where they are, who they are with and what they are doing. It is extremely easy to be sitting in our comfort zone and wasting time with those who are not necessarily needed.

Like ships, Salesians are not built for safe harbour. We must reach out to the young those who are in need like the refugees, migrants, children from broken homes, young people with various forms of addictions, and the young with mental and social issues.

Also as a Province, we are heading towards the centenary celebrations in 2023. It is now time to remind and reflect as individuals, as communities and as a province of our missionary spirit for the poor and the abandoned. Let us reignite the passion of missionary zeal in each one of us. We have become professed and consecrated Salesians not to do our will but to do the will of God.

Every Salesian is a faith-filled missionary who does the will of God. A guarantee for our true happiness is to have absolute faith in God and to do His will. St Paul says in his letter to the Philippians ‘Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say; rejoice!’ [4:4]"

• SMD 2020 Resources for download (animation booklet) and 5 videos on the Youtube

• Related news article:

20200825_AUL0.jpg

20200825_AUL1.jpg

20200825_AUL2.jpg

20200825_AUL3.jpg
    Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6256_10th Salesian Games: “Harmony Leads To The Century”

By THA SC Banpong, Thailand, 17 January 2024 -- The Salesian Education Commission of Thailand organized the 10th Salesian Sports Festival to strengthen good relations among Salesian institutions and create a sense of what it means to be a S...
      Date2024.01.17 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views436 file
      Read More
    2. 6255_New Rector installed in Laga, Timor Leste

By TLS SocCom Team Laga, Timor Leste, 16 January 2024 -- Fr. Andre Belo, SDB, installed as the New Rector of the Community of Laga Laga- East Timor, 4 January 2024, Fr. Andre Belo, SDB was installed as the Rector of the Community of Laga in...
      Date2024.01.17 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views80 file
      Read More
    3. 6254_Quarterly Recollection in Hanoi Region

“The Dream that Makes You Dream" By Paul Minh Luận, SDB Hanoi, Vietnam, 13 January 2024 -- On Friday, 12 January, fifteen Salesians in Hanoi region (the communities of Duc Ninh, Hoa An, Nong Vu, and Van Phuc) gathered at Nong Vu to ha...
      Date2024.01.13 CategoryVIN Reply0 Views139 file
      Read More
    4. 6253_Christmas Fair in Hanoi

By Paul Minh Luận, SDB Hanoi, Vietnam, 9 January 2024 -- On the Feast of Epiphany, the community of Nông Vụ organized a Christmas Fair for about two hundred children, including both Catholics and other religions. In spite of the incon...
      Date2024.01.09 CategoryVIN Reply0 Views209 file
      Read More
    5. 6252_SYM – FIS Recollection, Planning, and Year-end Fellowship

By Raniel Paca Lawaan, Talisay City (Cebu) Philippines, 8 January 2024 -- From December 29 to 30, 2023, the Salesian Youth Movement—FIS Core Group gathered at Don Bosco Retreat House, Lawaan III, Talisay City, for their annual recolle...
      Date2024.01.09 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views268 file
      Read More
    6. 6251_Young people are challenged to be a light

By Shirley Gahekave-Numbos Port Moresby, PNG 8 January 2024 -- Close to a hundred children and youths from Sabama, Gabutu and Sere Kone came together on Friday the 5th and Saturday the 6th of January 2024, at Don Bosco Technical School, Gab...
      Date2024.01.09 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views267 file
      Read More
    7. 6250_MYM offers games festivities for children

By A. Maung Maung, SDB Anisakan, Myanmar, 5 January 2024 -- During the Christmas season, Games Festivals for neighboring children were organized at three different places by the Novitiate Community. Among them, the most remarkable one was h...
      Date2024.01.06 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views159 file
      Read More
    8. 6249_China: An Annual Retreat of Three Anniversaries and Seven Provincials

By CINSCO Hong Kong, China, January 2024 -- On January 1st, the Octave of Christmas and Solemnity of Mary Mother of God, the last course of CIN Province Annual Retreat 2023 concluded with the solemn Mass celebrated by Card. Joseph Zen Ze Ki...
      Date2024.01.06 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views227 file
      Read More
    9. 6248_Christmas… Sharing Love

By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 2 January 2024 -- Since the Covid-19 pandemic, the Thai economy has not recovered fully yet. This situation was aggravated by the influx of people from the provinces into Bangkok and vicinities. They sought the ...
      Date2024.01.02 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views495 file
      Read More
    10. 6247_Salesian Brother in the 21st Century: Identity, Fidelity and Leadership

By Bro. Raymond Callo, SDB Kolkata, India, 2 January 2024 -- The 9th Salesian Brothers’ Congress of the South Asia region is currently being held at Nitika Don Bosco, Kolkata, India. It is from 30 December 2023 to 3 January 2024. The ...
      Date2024.01.02 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views329 file
      Read More
    List
    Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 533 Next
    / 533