Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

1-With-joy-3.jpg

By Lucy Urban
Vice Parish Youth Coordinator

Kokopo, East New Britain, Papua New Guinea, 26 December 2022 -- Young people from the nine (9) sub-parishes of Mary Help of Christian Parish gathered at Don Bosco Technical Secondary School for the Closing of the yearly youth programs. The Salesians and benefactors of Don Bosco joined the program with Christmas gifts for the young people.

The program started with an opening mass headed by the Parish Priest Fr Moise Paluku SDB. In his homily, he thanked the youth who have been actively participating in all the youth activities in the parish throughout the year 2022 and encouraged them to be more active with their leadership skills in their respective communities. He invited them to reflect on their own communities and reach out to more young people who involved themselves in destructive things in their communities and are not taking part in the spiritual activities.

In his homily, Fr Möise touched on the readings of the martyrdom of St Stephen. The first reading (Acts 6:8-10; 54-59), spoke about how St Stephen was doing great signs and wonders among the people until he was stoned to death with the last word coming from his mouth “Lord Jesus, receive my Spirit”. The Gospel (Mt 10:17-22) reminded us that Christ’s followers are more likely to receive the worst and cruel form of persecution. It is only the Spirit of the Father that guides, strengthens, and will speak through them. Fr Moise concluded his homily by challenging the youth to be brave like St Stephen and the Apostles in spreading the Good News and save the lives of the young in their own communities.

The second part of the program was the ‘CAROL BY DAYLIGHT CHOIR COMPETITIONS’ among the nine (9) sub parishes, with the Salesian Co-operators as judges. The competition generated a lot of enthusiasm at the end of which they received prizes. Between the choir performances, were enjoyable indoor games animated by Mr Nolly and Br Thomas.

The program ended with a gift given by the Salesians and the Salesian Benefactors of Don Bosco to all the youth that participated in the program. All were happy as they could take home gifts for their families. Little children smiled as they received their Christmas gift.

Mr Bernard the youth coordinator expressed his sentiments of joy and satisfaction. “I am very happy that we are at the end of the last activity for the year 2022. I am thankful for the support of my parish youth executive and all my dearest young people from the nine communities of Mary Help of Christian parish, and above all to our Parish Priest Fr Moise Paluku, SDB and the Salesians and Benefactors of Don Bosco for your greatest love and support throughout the year for the young people in these communities. Though we faced many challenges along the way, we managed to complete our parish youth activities of this year, 2022 on a high note. We are proud to be part of the Don Bosco family and are privileged to have the Salesians with us that enables us to learn many beautiful and important things from them”, he said.

The participants and those who joined in the celebration enjoyed the program and promised to change and reach out to more young people in their respective communities.

1-Gifts.jpg

1-Items-for-distribution.jpg

1-With-joy---children.jpg

1-With-joy-2.jpg

1-With-joy-3.jpg