NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
PGS
2020.09.18 11:42

5470(I)_Hope, joy and greatness

Views 583 Comment 0
ALA_5470

20200918_PGS.jpg

Silver jubilee of Don Bosco Simbu Technical College (DBSTC)

By Br. Reto Wanner, SDB

Kumgi, PNG, September 7 to 11, 2020 -- The Rector of Don Bosco Simbu Technical College (DBSTC), Fr. Angel Sanchez SDB cordially invited numerous Confreres, Religious and friends to celebrate the 25 years of existence of the institution in the Highlands. The foundation week was under the motto: “Grateful for the past, let us celebrate the present, and envision the future.”

The Corona Virus hindered many to follow the kind invitation of the Salesian Educative Pastoral Community of DBSTC.

Nonetheless, the Vice Provincial of PGS Fr. Dominic Kachira SDB and Br. Reto Wanner SDB made their way to the beautiful spot in the Highlands – where it seemed that the Corona Virus does not exist. We arrived Wednesday evening. The foundation week experienced a motorcade, talent show, battle of the bands, sports, open house expo, Gospel dance show and musical “Don Bosco – Man with a dream”. Fr. Dominic and I were right on time for the solemn thanksgiving Mass in the Don Bosco Shrine on Thursday. The 500 plus students of DBSTC, staff, religious and friends filled the lovely decorated Shrine. The mMain celebrant was His Excellency Most Reverend Bishop Dariusz KAŁUŻA MSF, Bishop of Goroka. His Excellency Most Reverend Archbishop Anton Bal, Archbishop of the Catholic Archdiocese of Madang, and former Bishop of Kundiawa, concelebrated. Apart from the Kumgi community with Fr. Angel Sanchez SDB, Fr. Edwin Genovia SDB, Fr. Clifford Morais SDB and Cleric Pio Ehava SDB several Priests from the Diocese; Sisters of Charity of St. Anne SCSA, Sisters of the Institute of Salesian Missionaries of Mary Immaculate SMMI, other religious and friends joined the celebration.

In the heart touching homily Bp. Dariusz asked the assembly: “Where are we going?” He explained that the world needs people who give hope, who care for the needy. Further he mentioned that God created men to be joyful and the source of joy is nothing else than Jesus Christ. Children are living in the present – not in the past nor in the future. He challenged the Salesians to give hope to the young people in this region, to have joy in their hearts and to do great things for the people entrusted to their care. In the thanksgiving speeches Abp. Anton underlined the positive influence and change caused by the 25 years of Salesian presence in Kumgi. Kundiawa Diocese Administrator Fr. Ryszard Wajda SVD acknowledged the marvelous work the Salesians are doing in the Diocese of Kundiawa. Fr. Dominic handed over to the community a beautiful picture of Jesus the Good Shepherd. He said, the picture is not just a symbol, but to be lived. After the solemn thanksgiving Mass Abp. Anton blessed the new Don Bosco monument in the former orange garden next to the Salesian residence as well as new shelters for the numerous students.

After a short break, students of DBSTC under the guidance of Fr. Clifford Morais SDB, Director of the Musicale, performed a marvelous show comprising of dances, music and actions. The musicale revolved around St. John Bosco. The performance of 200 participating students gave the audience much to learn about the life and dreams of Don Bosco and made the musicale an unforgettable experience. A common lunch at the SDB residence enhanced the camaraderie and gave room to express deep gratitude for the good done in the past 25 years.

On Friday, a big cultural show with 17 groups – mainly students of DBSTC – rendered a marvelous picture of unity in diversity. The students were so excited to present their culture to the immense crowd gathered around the soccer field of DBSTC Kumgi. The cultural show ended the week-long celebrations.

In summary allow me to say: From nothing to something. From uneducated young people in Simbu to many well trained ones – both technical and academic. From rascal’s and drop outs to community leaders and from successful men and women in society, to good Christians and upright citizens.” DBSTC bears immense hope for young people in Papua New Guinea. The integral formation on a tertiary level creates great joy. And DBSTC aims high: “From educating Gr. 10 school leavers to a technical secondary school, to a college and eventually in the next 25 years to a Technical University.

20200918_PGS1.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5473(II)_Upright Citizens and Good Christians - in Hong Kong 2020 0

2. 5473(I)_Blessed Salesian Martyrs of Spain - Inspiring Witnesses 0

3. 5472_Gratitude for the past and openness to the future - AUL 2023 0

4. 5471(III)_From Samoa to Pakistan: 3 months of encounters with DB Past pupils 0

5. 5471(II)_Further exploratory visit to Ruteng diocese on Flores island 0

6. 5471(I)_R.I.P. for Brother Lodovico de Marchi 0

7. 5470(III)_Prayerful encounter of Salesian community with the young 0

8. 5470(II)_Prayers for our Salesian confreres - bishops 0

9. 18Sep
    by ceteratolle
    2020/09/18 in PGS
    Views 583 

5470(I)_Hope, joy and greatness 0

10. 5469(II)_Small acts of Covid19 time solidarity from PNG 0

List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 ... 533 Next
/ 533