Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
EAO
2019.02.14 06:57

5010(II)_"I have Salesian blood"

Views 1140 Comment 0

20190214_EAO10.jpg

Pilgrimage to the roots of Don Bosco in Thailand

By Our Own Correspondent

Sampran, Thailand, 14 February 2019 -- 'I have Salesian blood' - this is the enthusiastic greeting with which the 6th bishop of Ratchburi diocese John Bosco Panya Kritcharoen began his contribution to the 4th EAO Salesian History Conference in the chapel of the Minor Seminary (Ratchburi, Thailand. He has been a Past Pupil of Don Bosco for 70 years.

This encounter with the Ratchburi bishop was among the moving moments of a full day of pilgrimage for the 45 participants in the EAO ACSSA Conference on February 13. The whole day was spent between Ban-Nok-Khuek, Ratchburi and Banpong, following the footsteps of the first SDB missionaries and first Thai Salesian Family members in this area, 80 km west of Bangkok.

One day full of listening at historical sites: Cathedral of Nativity and Catholic cemetery in Ban-Nok-Khuek; Diocesan minor seminary, SIHM Sisters school Narivithaya and house in Ratchburi; St Joseph's Parish, Narivooth FMA school and Catholic cemetery in Ban-Pong. With the tireless guidance of Fr Theparat Pitisant (THA provincial) and other Thai SF members, with the historical research of Fr Lissandrin concerning all Ban-Pong Salesian and Catholic sites in this 'Vatican-Valdocco' and numerous interactions among the participants this day offered a rather comprehensive experience of the life and mission of Catholic community in Thailand.

Among the common points of the pilgrimage was a multi-faceted insight into the life and living heritage of the first Ratchburi Bishop Gaetano Passoti (1890-1950), the leader of the first missionary expedition to Thailand (1927) from China and founder of the SIHM Congregation. His successor, the 6th bishop of Ratchburi, baptized John Bosco by the first missionaries,and a Don Bosco Past Pupil, offered a wonderful panorama of his diocese and personal testimony as an alumnus of Don Bosco education, especially in the seminary.

The personal witness of Bishop Panya was very eloquent: 'We are happy to be the children of the Salesian family, thanks to Salesian formation our diocesan clergy are very united, missionary minded, involved actively in inter-religious dialogue and generous in the ministry to the Thai Catholic Church. Two of our clergy became bishops in another 2 Thai diocess, 2 of our priests are missionaries in Cambodia, others serve the bishops conference and major seminary 'Lux Mundi'. Among the 2.5 million population in the diocese there are 15,000 Catholics, ministered to by 60+ priests, 150+ religious sisters, brothers and priests. The number of adult baptisms is more than 300 in recent years, thanks to more people who are asking for a Catholic education...'

After the guided visit to the seminary and cathedral Bishop John Bosco Panya shared one treasure in his wallet, a small 'name card' with the last will of Bishop Passoti, that remains his vision also today as his successor: 'To be like a father among his children, to foster unity among his clergy and trying to be all to all people.'

One of the Filipino participants shared at the end of the day: 'We received a rather deep insight into the great dynamics of the Thai missionary reality through the missions, parishes, schools and many personal testimonies and experiencse in the various Salesian Family education institutions'.

After return to the FMA retreat house in Sam Phran for dinner and evening prayer, the whole group listened to the Good Night from a DQM (Daugthers of Queenship of Mary) secular institute member and had an opportunity for an Open forum with the EAO Salesian Regional councillor about the present reality of the large EAO region stretching across 23 countries and its future dreams

20190214_EAO11.jpg

20190214_EAO12.jpg

20190214_EAO13.jpg

20190214_EAO14.jpg

20190214_EAO15.jpg

20190214_EAO16.jpg

20190214_EAO17.jpg

20190214_EAO18.jpg

20190214_EAO19.jpg

20190214_EAO20.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5016_Magone inspires the life of young people today 0

2. 5015_Mark Nguyen Duc Huynh, SDB has gone to the Salesian garden 2

3. 5014(II)_Our beloved confrere Antonio César Fernández 0

4. 5014(I)_We can't go to heaven alone! 0

5. 5013_Harvesting the fruits of the 4th EAO Salesian History Conference - 2019 Sampran 0

6. 5012(II)_Vocation journey from SYM to the Young Salesian Cooperators 0

7. 5012(I)_Outstanding Salesian figures of the 20th century 0

8. 5011(II)_Share responsibility for the same charism and mission 0

9. 5011(I)_Children makes me happy as a Salesian Cooperator 0

10. 5010(II)_"I have Salesian blood" 0

List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 ... 536 Next
/ 536