?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20151130_KOR.jpg

By Mr. Antony Lee, ASC

26 new Salesian Cooperators made their Promise last 29th, first Sunday of Advent at the Salesian Youth Center in Daejon.

The Salesian Cooperators are those who are working for the poor young following the spirit of Don Bosco within the world. Deep in the tradition of the Korean Church laity, it could be considered as the most adaptable Charism of Don Bosco in Korea. In reality, recently there are 20 to 40 new Salesian Cooperators who are making their Promise every year, ostensibly showing the big growth of the Association of the Salesian Cooperators.

At the start of Advent season every year, the whole member of the Cooperators are invited to join for a two-days retreat program. They have maintained for a long time their tradition, making the Promise of the new Cooperatore those who had been prepared at least for three years.

About 200 cooperators were gathered this time, where Fr. Simon Baek centered his lecture on the theme ‘Service begins in one's emptiness.’ With this, related various activities were done during the days and night. At the starting of the Mercy Jubilee Year, the members had decided to be the Lord's instrument in showing mercy, serving one's family, emptying oneself to serve their neighbors and parishes.

Rafael Choi, a new promised Salesian Cooperator said, “After the encounter with the late Fr. John Trisolini 23 years ago, I had attended the Dosim Association, but I wandered instead of making the Promise. Overcoming several trials, I have joined this retreat again and after making my Promise I felt something deep in my heart. Since the Lord has planted a humble small grass flower like me in this garden, I would do my best to give off the scent I could give in my own ways in this world I am living.”

The Promise celebration Mass was presided by the Provincial, Fr. Stefano Yang and in his homily stressed that they become Salesians willing to share, listen and help the difficulties of their neighbors, bearing in mind the words, ‘Don't ask for what you don't want others to ask you.’ He also encouraged the Cooperators to be the companion of the young outside of the Salesian Community and be a witness of God's Mercy.

On the other hand, there was a special greeting moment for the 36 members who are more than 25 years of Promised. Until now there was no particular celebration for those who have turned 25 or 50 years of the Promise, so they thought it would be better to introduce some moment to give thanks to the first generation. As there's no one who arrived 50 years, this year only celebrated for those who have passed 25years of the Promise. This practice would be repeated every year when new Promises are made.

The Korean Salesian Cooperators at present consist of 25 associations with 595 members who are sharing the love of Don Bosco in various ways like visiting the juvenile detention and other activities where the young requires help.

20151130_KOR1.jpg

20151130_KOR2.jpg

20151130_KOR3.jpg

20151130_KOR4.jpg

20151130_KOR5.jpg

20151130_KOR6.jpg

20151130_KOR7.jpg

20151130_KOR8.jpg

20151130_KOR9.jpg

20151130_KOR10.jpg