?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

Bernard.jpg

Personal reflection of Fr Bernard Kaiau, SDB

I’m motivated by seeing the untiring efforts of Salesian missionaries in our country, who continue to mould, shape, and form our young people to become good Christians and honest citizens. It is God who calls me to be his instrument of change in transforming my life and the lives of those to whom I am called to serve, especially the poor and abandoned by following in the footsteps of Don Bosco as a Salesian cleric journeying to be a Salesian Priest. I look forward to committing myself fully to the Salesian Priesthood ministry. Most importantly to give a good example to the people by being a witness to the mission entrusted to me. Fr Bernard Kaiau shares with us his reflections.

Personal Background

I come from a Catholic family and I’m number four of seven siblings. My father is from Bunai village in Manus Province and my mother is from Malol village, Aitape District in Sandaun Province. My father is a teacher by profession while my mother manages our home. My vocation interest began at the early age of three years, thanks to the teachings and principles given by my parents. My parents made sure we attended every Sunday mass. My Catholic upbringing enabled me to have a great respect for religious priests, sisters and other lay people as instruments of God, spreading His word and love. As a young person, I would correct my friends when they swear or did something wrong, they would jokingly call me Pater (Priest). Even my aunty back home called me Pater because of my good behavior. I did not have a clear direction toward becoming a religious until I entered Don Bosco Vanimo in 2003 for secondary studies. My vocation to become a religious was strengthened with the help of the Salesians of Don Bosco. The learning environment was conducive, guiding me in all aspects of mental, social, and most especially spiritual aspects, creating a big impact on my life.

Formation

I began my Formation in Savio Haus Aspirantate in East Boroko from 2008 to 2011 while studying at Don Bosco Technological Institute. In 2012, I was sent to Don Bosco Formation Centre in Lawaan, Talisay City in Cebu Philippines to do my Pre-Novitiate from 2012 to 2013 and completed my novitiate in 2014. After my formation in Cebu, I came back to Papua New Guinea and had my first Religious Profession on May 14, 2014. From 2015 to 2016, I entered the Catholic Theological Institute in Bomana, Port Moresby to study Philosophy and Religious studies. In the following years, 2017 to 2018, I was sent to Don Bosco Simbu Technical College for practical training. In 2019, I was sent to Studium Theologicum Salesianum Ratisbonne Monastery for a four-year study in Theology and graduated on June 10, 2023.

Message to young people

(Matthew 17:25-26), “For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life?” This scripture has always strengthened me in my vocation journey, and I would like to use it as a challenge to our young people. Life is filled with choices, and we must make good choices that will guide us on the right path. Journeying to become a Salesian is a long formation program that requires great discipline yet is satisfying and fruitful. Only when we know God is behind our success, will we come to really appreciate our vocation and commit ourselves fully to it. Therefore, we must not be afraid and allow God to dwell in our lives to bring about a change in us. At the same time, we must be ready to go beyond our own limitations to serve the Lord with Joy and optimism as young people who are purpose-driven with a mission in life without counting the cost. As young people today, we must be willing and ready to give extra to our society of what we have learned and experienced and the aspect of giving should be more than receiving.

5.jpg

14 Bernard.jpg

IMG_8860 (1) (1).JPG