?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20220829_Pak.jpg

By Novice Sunil Iqbal, SDB

FIS-Pakistan Delegation (Sunyani, Ghana), 29 August 2022 -- Next September 8, God willing, another group of Salesian novices will make their first profession in Mary Help of Christians parish, Sunyani, Ghana (AOS province). Among the 13 novices is also one from the EAO region. We are happy to have his honest and simple sharing one week before this important event:

“As a young novice from Pakistan I arrived in Ghana in 2021 August 07, and was meant to discover a new world and one quite unexpected, very different from what I had been used to. It was totally different from my expectations: Ghanaians are very welcoming people. What I was thinking when I was in Pakistan has totally changed. I thought that the people of Ghana were very poor, and they were still living in wildlife. Before coming here some of my friends had joked that they would be watch the national geography channel to find me and how I was living in Ghana. Living here in Ghana, I found that the people of Ghana are developed and living an outstanding life, they are very rich in their culture. People are welcoming, friendly, and very hard-working.

“The desire to become a Salesian brought me to Ghana’s Novitiate because due to Covid'19 I was not able to continue my Novitiate in the Philippines. Life in the novitiate is sweet but a little perplexing as well in the Novitiate. I learned so many new things. I think that in Novitiate we don’t have time to waste, we couldn’t stand in one corner and contemplate the past, looking over my decision as to whether it was correct or not. We need to look to the future with hope, and know how to nurture the certainty in our hearts that what we are doing will bear much fruit, the fruit of holiness, fruit for the young people, for those who are waiting for us eagerly to satisft their needs, and the fruit of good Christians and upright citizens.

“My way of seeking things is marked first of all by empathy and love. During my whole Novitiate year, I have tried to learn how to walk in the shoes of our boys. And I am still learning to become the kind Salesian who can get close to young people, capable of empathy and establishing immediate contact like Don Bosco. “It is enough that you are young for me to love you very much” (Don Bosco)

Pastoral experience in Ghana

“Being Salesians, we cannot live our lives fully without pastoral work in every stage of our formation, the pastor's work is an essential part of the formation. My pastoral experience was part of my Novitiate formation, it helped me to learn the freedom of the young people from the very real slavery and the real evil which is sin. The Novitiate opened my door for the young people to accept them into my life and save their souls from the slavery of sin.

“The year of the Novitiate showed me the Salesian mission in the mind of its founder coincides with the whole person and the whole world. Staying in the Novitiate was a very meaningful year for me because of this place. I will be able to start my mission for the future. It was a very interesting apostolate for me because the openness of the young people of Ghana enriched me to continue my mission and my vocation. In other words, I can believe that the young people of Ghana are the foundation for my vocation, not only the foundation but the rock-hard foundation, one that will enable me to stand firm for the whole of my life. So I thank God for this opportunity to be in the Novitiate. It shows that God loves me a lot and always showers me with blessings.

Response to the call

“The Novitiate has helped me spiritually and made a strong relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ as well as helping me to understand that Jesus is the one who loves me the most in this world. Jesus is hope for me. Sometimes there are things in life; if absent, they create a sense of incompleteness. Jesus is not like that “thing”. Instead, His absence creates emptiness. I am a Body and He is the Soul. Just like a body is considered dead without the soul, I am also useless without Him. In other words, Jesus is my Saviour and He gives life for me to save me as a sinner. Again, I am Sunil, I am Sinner, but I am also a beloved son of God. This novitiate year helped me to see my vocation clearly and reposed to God with all my freedom and understanding. This also calls me to follow and love Him without thinking. He had already stretched out His hand towards me and asked me to follow him, it is time for me not to think twice, just say to Him. Here I am Lord, send me!”

Another three Pakistani young men have already reached Sri Lanka (LKC viceprovince) for their Aspirantate and three Pakistani prenovices moved from Malawi (Lilongwe) to their novitiate in Zambia (Kabwe), in the ZMB viceprovince. Our prayers for their vocation path are highly appreciated!

FIS-Pak-first-profession.jpg

Pakistan-aspirants-2022-LKC.jpg

291470441_1122380318684681_4883353631183346504_n.jpg