austraLasia

vaclav2022.09.02 08:44
From the FB of Fr Mel Racelis, FIS province
FIS promotion.jpg

Following Jesus even up to Ghana
Homily on Thursday, 22nd Week in Ordinary Time
1 September 2022
This morning I had an appointment at the Consulate of Ghana. Obedient to my superior I am going to West Africa next week in order to attend the first profession of a Pakistani Novice named Sunil, who spent two years of his formation with us in Cebu. Having completed one year of Novitiate formation in Ghana, this coming September 8, he will finally be making his first religious profession of the vows in the Salesian Congregation, together with twelve other batch mates coming from different parts of West Africa.
Having received my visa to Ghana this morning I am personally getting excited for this trip not so much because I’ll be seeing Africa for the first time but because I’ll be witnessing once again the goodness of the Lord who continues to call from different parts of the world young men who are willing to follow Jesus and dedicate their lives to continue his mission of saving souls.
Coincidentally, today’s Gospel presents to us the vocation story of Simon Peter, who eventually would be chosen as head of Jesus’ Apostles. At that time a big crowd of Jews had gathered around Jesus by the shore of Lake Galilee to listen to his teachings. They were all amazed by the gracious words he spoke to them. One of them was Simon who owned the fishing boat which Jesus used as a pulpit. Apparently he was too busy cleaning the nets. Nevertheless I guess he too was listening to the teachings of Jesus and was marvelling at his words. When, however, Jesus told him to put out into the deep and lower the nets for a catch he must have been surprised, if not confused that the great teacher should command him to go back into the deep and cast the net in broad daylight.
Although hesitant, Simon, nevertheless, followed Jesus’ command. No questions asked. No objections raised. And the good news is, to his great astonishment he hauled in such a great number of fish that they almost sink despite getting help from his partners. Simon was overwhelmed and immediately fell on his knees. He just couldn’t believe being so abundantly blessed that day in spite of his numerous sins. And so, aware of his being unclean before God and fellowmen he asked the Lord to keep his distance from him, lest he be contaminated by his sinfulness. But the other good news is this: Jesus did not walk away. Even if he knew Simon was a sinner he remained standing there and commanded him to follow him, telling him that his new job would be to catch men. And so as soon as they were back at the shore, Simon and his companions left everything – the numerous catch of fish, their boats and their nets, and their families – and they followed Jesus.
Today while we recall this particular gospel story, we realize that the Lord is indeed continuing to call people who are ready to leave behind everything in order to follow him and be fishers of men. Our Salesian mission in Pakistan began only less than twenty-five years ago. And now we are seeing the fruits of our mission esp. among young men who are responding generously to God’s call. We now have two Salesian priests among the Pakistani locals, one Salesian cleric doing his third year Theology, another one doing his first year Philosophy, still another one doing his practical training, and finally we have Novice Sunil who will make his first profession by September 8.
In Cebu we have around thirty College students coming from Visayas and Mindanao aspiring to be priests or brothers one day, plus eight who have just begun their prenovitiate program. Let us pray in this Mass that they may all persevere in their vocation. And let us pray also for your parish community that God may bless you with many young people willing to follow the Lord and share in his mission of preaching the Good News and saving souls for the glory of the Father. GiGsss!
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )