By THA SC
Hua-Hin, Thailand 7-12 May, 2022 -- The Provincials of all the Salesian Provinces, Vice-Provinces and Delegations of the EAO Region, with the members of their Councils, have begun the Spiritual Exercises guided by the Rector Major, Fr Ángel Fernández Artime. A total of 73 Salesians from 8 Provinces: Australia (AUL), China (CIN), South Korea (KOR), North Philippines (FIN), South Philippines (FIS), Japan (GIA), Thailand (THA) and Vietnam (VIE); from 4 Vice-Provinces: Myanmar (MYM), Indonesia (INA), Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands (PGS), and East Timor (TLS); and from 5 Provincial Delegations: Cambodia, belonging to THA; Mongolia and North Vietnam, both belonging to VIE; Pacific, belonging to AUL; and Pakistan, belonging to FIS, (22 countries) are present, in addition to the Regional Councilor, Fr Joseph Phuoc.
The Spiritual Exercises, being held in Hua-Hin at the Salesian Retreat House, began on Saturday morning. The Exercises include several conferences given by Fr Ángel Fernández Artime on the first of the seven programmatic guidelines delivered after the 28th General Chapter, namely the options for growing in Salesian identity.
Specifically, the 10th Successor of Don Bosco prepared several talks on topics such as:
- For this reason I remind you to rekindle the gift of God that is within you (2 Tim 1:6)
- The Provincial and his Council: Men of God;
- What kind of Salesians for today’s youth? The Salesian charism and lifestyle embodied by Don Bosco.
- Don Bosco and the Rectors Major…to the Provincials and their councils.
- Make people love you. The “Valdocco option” and “the charism of presence”.
- Signs and bearers of the love of God. Three priorities in the service of the Provincial and his Council.
- Raised up by the spirit for the Young, the poorest and most abandoned of them.
At the same time, the moments of meeting and dialogue between the Rector Major and the assembly, during which the themes of animation and government of the Congregation are addressed, are also key moments, as are the times for shared spirituality and fraternity, characteristic of every Salesian gathering.
The idea of preaching the Spiritual Exercises to the Provincial Councils in all the Regions of the Congregation is a specific choice of the Tenth Successor of Don Bosco to show them his closeness and to encourage a coordinated and fluid advancement of all Salesian realities along the fundamental axes indicated by the GC28.