Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20220415_PGS.jpg

By Anna Bártů
Salesian Volunteer from the Czech Republic

Port Moresby, PNG, 13 April 2022 -- My name is Anna Bártů, I am 25 years old and I come from the centre of Europe, the Czech Republic, the city of Brno. Together with volunteer Tereza Sovová we arrived in PNG in mid-February and will be here for a year.

I recently completed my master's degree in social work and counselling and have completed a bachelor's degree in kindergarten teaching. I am interested in educating children with special educational needs. While undergoing my study I worked in children's groups at a pedagogical-psychological centre during which I had the opportunity to work and spend time with children and youths in leisure and cultural activities, for several years in my parish.

I come from a large family, am the fifth born and grew up with four brothers and one sister. We have all been brought up in the Catholic faith and strive to continue in this direction. Thanks to our parents, we were all allowed to study at university. Also, all of us studied music and did various sports. Above all, we have good friends with whom we share our joys and sorrows, and we support and encourage each other. The parish in which we grew up was for me and my siblings a great support.

I dreamed about volunteering and longed for it from an early age. Finally, as my studies ended, I realized that the time had come for me to pursue my volunteer experience. After the disruptions caused by Covid-19, I was sent to PNG. I am grateful to God for His guidance. I work at Caritas school teaching five classes a week at the Elementary school. The subjects I teach are religion, music, art and storytelling. At the Sunday Oratory, I am in charge of the youngest group of children where we teach religion, art, sports and a music program. I will also start working on a new project at the Learning Center in Gabutu, which will be attended by children from the settlement.

I enjoy every single day I spend here. The countryside and nature that surrounds us are gorgeous. The sunset is breathtaking. In the words of Fr Pedro Sachitula, “It’s a piece of paradise here”.

My gratitude to the Salesian community in which Tereza and myself stay. Thanks also to the people who have received us and offer us incentives and opportunities to grow together.

I'm looking forward to the unexpected things that await me here. I believe that with God's help I will be able to face everything that comes along and I will be able to help wherever it is needed.

Looking forward to enjoying the beauty of this country and the people living in it.

1-POM.jpg

1-Oratory.jpg

1-Anna-and-Tereza.jpg

20220415_PGS2.jpg

1-Orato-2.jpg

1-Kids-2.jpg

1-Anna-at-CARITAS.jpg