?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20150922_EAO.jpg

Our Own Correspondent

25 days long course for the new missionaries comes to its climax in the Holy Places of Don Bosco in Turin, Chieri and Becchi. The immediate preparation of the 25 new and ‘old’ missionaries of 2015 expedition is culminating in these days with pilgrimage around the Salesian places in Piedmont, today engaged in the meeting with the Rector Major, Fr. Ángel F. Artime at Valdocco and on the final day – September 25 they will receive the missionary crucifix from the hands of Fr. Francesco Cereda, his Vicar.

AustraLasia asked few EAO missionaries about the impact of this course on their life and with a fondamental question of this course: “WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A MISSIONARY?”

“We are in Valdocco now. It is like touching Don Bosco in a very personal way and walking with him in my Salesian missionary vocation, as I approach the day when we I will receive the Missionary Cross.

Why I want to be a missionary? Initially it was an attraction that I wanted to be a missionary. However after spending time in prayer and with the guidance of my spiritual director, I feel it is God's call in a very personal way. So it is God who is calling me and I am responding to His call. I have come to realize that God is already present in the place I am being assigned and I have to like Moses in the Bible remove my shoes as I'm on holy ground. By doing so I will respond God and be what God wants me to be. I thank God for the call to be a Salesian missionary.” (Michael – destination Cambodia, THA)

“I feel deep within my heart the desire of becoming a missionary, living my home and going beyond. The question now is why do I want to become a Salesian missionary? I want to turn the question around and ask Why is the Lord calling me to be a Missionary? It is because God is love and as such he wants me to go and participate in this love with the people where he is sending me to.

My attitude is the one of Moses "To Remove My Shoes for where I will be standing (in Cambodia) - is a Holy Ground". This would enable me to go down with the people and to help them to rise to the Lord.

I am very happy to go not because it is what I want but because it is what God wants of me. Participating in this plan of God makes me feel a great sense of deep joy.” (Joshua – destination Cambodia)

“Here at Valdocco and in Turin all twenty five of us are discovering the Life of Don Bosco. Just yesterday we visited the sacristy and small backyard of the St. Francis of Assisi Church as well the place of the first Hail Mary with Bartolomeo Garelli. It’s amazing to touch the roots where all did start in 1841. Also in front of the Cafasso confessional I deeply realized what kind of life should I live as a missionary. The source of our Salesian missionary life is Jesus Christ in his Eucharist and the Sacrament of reconciliation.” (Mose)

“Fr. Guillermo, the Councilor for the Missions, asked me if i felt happy during the first days of this course in Rome. I said that I wasn't happy but very happy. I'm very happy because I can be as a missionary a visible sign of God's love for those whom God sends me. I want to be a missionary because I feel that God calls me to let share to everybody how God loves me and how God takes care of me.”

“In this course, I could learn how to live with and how to share love of God to people of different cultures. When i came to Turin, I was impressed by the statue of Cafasso. Immediately, I thought about Don Bosco. He put his plans of life into Spiritual Guide, Father Cafasso. Therefore, Don Bosco could make his dreams come true. So I think that good spiritual guide is very necessary for my missionary life. I pray with father Cafasso to help me find a good spiritual guide.” (Joseph – destination Project Europe)

New Missionary Course resources are available on the BOSCOLINK

20150922_EAO1.jpg

20150922_EAO2.jpg