?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20150919_EAO.jpg

By Our Own Correspondent

Since last November 2014 we have a good chance to watch the quarterly video message of the Rector Major. Thanks to hard work of many communicators we are lucky enough to it in 12+ different East Asia - Oceania region languages online.

We are grateful to all 12 translators: Br. Hilario Seo, Fr. Taisali Leuluai, Fr. Placido, Fr. Joseph Banchong, Fr. Simon Hoyeal, Fr. Mariano Soe, Fr. Alfred Maravilla, Fr. Peter Tukan, Fr. Peter Chinh, Fr. Pedro Leong, Fr. Albeiro Rodas and Fr. Mario Yamanouchi.

As our expression of gratitude we share an interview with the editor of this new initiative in the Congregation, Fr. Jacob Iruppakkaattu, SDB from Kolkata province, India, who works in the ANS-Video Section and is behind this wonderful service that brings Fr. Angel closer to us every three months:

How many years did you work in the soc. com field and what kind of specific commitment?Is the video editing your favorite work?

Since 2001 I am “officially” in the virtual playground of the Salesian Congregation, prior to which I worked nine years as a pioneer missionary in Kolkata region. From 2006 I worked as the delegate of Social communication in INC, before my arrival in Rome. I love all my fingers but my favourite work is audio editing with VST technology.

How many months did you spent already at the Center of the Congregation in the ANS- Video section? What is your job mainly about?

I am here at the General House looking after Multimedia since one year. I help out with the preparation of Dear Confreres, a series of videos published every three months with subtitling in around 26 languages. I prepare also the timely video messages of the Rector Major for dispatching to Salesian communities and other Salesian Family groups all around the world. I also assist with sdb.org web design and graphics.

The Jubilee Year of DB200 is for your a great challenge to work overnight many days in order to edit all provincial and other video messagges of the Rector Major upon request for different provinces. How did you find the RM cope with this 'duty of the father' and what did you learn from this interaction with the RM?

I was very much impressed by Rector Major’s availability at all times to be close to the communities through the social media. Even when he was so busy he would find time to be with his confreres - fellow brother Salesians - through distant presence. I love his simplicity, understanding and the capacity to deliver without any retake!

After the memorable visit of the RM to the 6 Pacific - Oceania countries, what did you learn during that trip, being in touch with 140 SDB from our Region - the most distant communities and culture from Rome?

Accompanying the Rector Major for the Oceania Visit along with Fr. Vaclav Klement and Fr Horacio Lopez was a memorable experience which I always recall with gratitude. I was so impressed by the Salesians in Oceania accompanying the emarginated youth which are in large numbers in the islands. With confreres from different parts of the world, I found a strong sense of unity and dedication to the cause of Salesian Mission, in truly challenging situations.

Any piece of inspiration after that long Oceania video and photo trip?

Oceania is a beautiful mission region. A little more attention could be given to the media which is playing a dominant role in this digital age.

How do you find the cooperation with the 12 EAO translators and RM video - messagges dubbing confreres from 9 EAO provinces? (AUL - Samoan, CIN - Cinese, FIN - Tok Pisin for PNG/SI; GIA - Japanese, ITM - Indonesian and Tetum, KOR - Korean, MYM - Burmese, THA - Thai and Khmer, VIE - Vietnamese and Mongolian.

I must say the translators are just wonderful. Despite other pressing engagements, they have been very cooperative with the project. Compliments to each one of them and of course to their Provincials who have been very supportive

Watching this video message from the Rector Major on a small laptop screen in Samoa - with Samoan subtitles - is a moving experience. Let's make sure, that all 225+ communities in our Region have the chance to get the same chance!

https://www.youtube.com/user/ANSchannel/videos

20150919_EAO1.jpg

General House, Fr. Jacob in working

20150919_EAO2.jpg

Salesian community of Samoa-Alafua does watch the video message 'Dear Confreres' n.4 with Samoan subtitles.

20150919_EAO3.jpg

General House, Rector Major in action