?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20210302_WOR0.jpg

Interview with Fr Thomas Pallithanam, SDB

New York, USA, WORLD, 2 March 2021 -- Fr Thomas (India-Hyderabad province) is the second representative of the Salesian Congregation at the United Nations (ECOSOC) since 2017. Our presence started in 2003 with Fr Thomas Brennan. Through the Salesian Missions USA office (SalesianMissions.org), the Salesians of St. John Bosco hold special Consultative Status to the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), advocating for the poorest of the poor.

What makes you happy as an SDB in the UN office in NY?

The responsibility and the privilege of highlighting our good practices at such an important international fora gives me a lot of joy. Our extensive presence across the globe in 135 countries puts on us the burden and the privilege to be an effective voice of “poor and the abandoned”, particularly of the young. In the past three years I have been able to bring greater visibility to the work that the Salesian Congregation is doing around the globe. I also have the satisfaction of knowing that the Salesian presence at the UN is better known and coordinated now. More and more Salesians and Salesian family members have got involved in our work at the UN since 2017.

What did you learn during the past 3-4 years of this special ministry?

As I listen to the many conversations at the UN and participate in discussions and take part in side events that highlight good practices by various organizations, I have come to realize that as a congregation we do so much more. The extent of our work and commitment far outweighs any similar good practice that are show-cased here. We need to highlight more the dedicated service that we render to the youth and to the needy. I also realize that while we are very good at service delivery we do not sufficiently engage ourselves in advocacy on behalf of those we accompany. While service delivery is important and gives us the moral standing to speak for the young and the poor we must realize that advocating for policies that will benefit the needy is a responsibility that we should not shirk. This is one area in which we need to seriously build our capabilities. I also realize that our young people are mostly the beneficiaries of our dedication but probably we have not challenged them sufficiently to become agents of change. I say this because the UN space is teeming with young people who are making significant changes in the lives of people they are associated with. UN puts a premium on the participation of the young in its policy making efforts.

How can the ordinary SDBs around the world benefit from this SDB-UN office?

May be this question needs to worded differently. How can the ordinary SDB around the world strengthen the SDB-UN office. I see this as the challenge. It is when the ordinary Salesians and the members of the Salesian family become effective agents of advocacy and change in the countries they live and work, our presence at the UN becomes meaningful and effective. Otherwise it will just be a lot of conversation and high thinking but not making any meaningful impact for the people on the ground. Having said that:

The SDB General council, especially through the Councilors for Youth Ministry, Missions and General Economer positively encourages and supports these efforts. That gives me a sense of purpose, satisfaction and joy.

20210302_WOR1.jpg

Making an Oral Statement on behalf of the Salesians at the Inauguration of the FACTI Panel

20210302_WOR2.jpg

Salesian delegates at UN Conference on Social Development_present regional Fr Alphonse can be seen_also Fr Sebastian Chirayath

20210302_WOR3.jpg

SDB at UN - New Rochelle 2019

20210302_WOR4.jpg

Side Event Participation Good Practice from Senegal was presented

20210302_WOR5.jpg

With Salesian Youth Panelists at the 2019 HLPF_Provincial of Mumbai and Convenor Don Bosco Green Alliance