Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
ALA_5267

20191205_PGS.jpg

By Cleric Francis Mallol

Araimiri, Papua New Guinea, 5 December 2019 -- Araimiri: Borders or boundaries do not divide us because we have the same skies over our heads.

In this corner of the Vice-province of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands, is Don Bosco Araimiri. Here, we are genuinely disconnected from the outside world. In simple terms, our access to the Internet or social media for news updates is a luxury I can’t afford. It seems as though we live in a little world of our own. Yet, despite the geographical situation and our many hardships, we still live out our daily life.

At Araimiri I am connected to the many people I meet every day. Every day is valuable time used in conversation and connecting with people. Working with the boarding boys and teaching in the school keeps me so occupied and focused that I do not miss the events in distant lands. The daily face-to-face encounters with the young and the people of the surrounding villages reflects the face of Christ in this part of the world. Looking at their faces and into their eyes, I am able to see, touch and work with God's created human beings. I am able to connect with them and understand their struggles in life. It is for me a heavenly and “Divine Experience”.

Disconnecting from the outside world gives me the opportunity to connect with the reality of their lives. I realize that when we disconnect ourselves from the virtual world, it is then that we understand the real-life situation of the people whom we are working for.

Holiness is disconnecting from the things outside and connecting with what is tangible. There is joy in connecting to people outside the virtual world, because the true meaning of finding holiness is by serving those we physically in touch with.

20191205_PGS1.jpg

20191205_PGS2.jpg