Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5259

20191126_FIS.jpg

What Filipinos are learning in Cambodia

By SALVO former volunteer – Josteno Hernan

Cebu, Philippines, 26 November 2019 -- Another SALVO Volunteer offers thoughts on his experience.

How was your volunteer experience in Cambodia?

I had a chance to render my volunteer service to the Khmer people from 14 February until 21 August 2018 at Don Bosco Technical School, Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The experience was indeed a remarkable one; not just a give and take experience but also a self-formative journey. It is interesting to know how the Salesians work in countries like Cambodia with only a small percentage of Catholics. It is fascinating to know the methodologies used by the Salesians to form and share the charism of Don Bosco with the people. Other volunteers had shared with me that offering my time and help to other people is very little compared to the things that I will be receiving in return. Indeed, I can say that those sentiments are true.

What did you learn in Cambodia?

First, the Salesian Preventive system, culture, personal growth and spiritual journey. One of my objectives in volunteering in Cambodia was to know how the Salesians work in the midst of a larger number of non-Catholics and how they integrate the charism of Don Bosco with the culture, beliefs and practices of the people. I have learned that the Salesians work as an NGO supporting and forming a lot of people to uplift their way of living. It is good to know that they work in spreading and sharing the love of God through their actions and service to the young. They serve the young by educating them how to dream and become good and upright citizens in their own country. They use the principles of natural law and find connections to their beliefs and afterwards integrate this into their day to day living which has the same goal of becoming a good person. The Salesian charism is strongly observable and present. The Salesians are working with and for the young.

Surprisingly, the culture of the people with regards to authority is extremely strong. The people have great respect for people involved in religion. The children are not only showing great respect to their parents but also the parents show reverence to the people whom they consider holy like the monks and the priests. And the students treat their teachers with respect and kindness. Gentleness is for me the greatest challenge to possess always when interacting with them. Everybody may seem not capable of understanding and relating with other people. But I can say that they had tried their best to make me feel comfortable and welcome through their simple smiles and timidity. They are sensitive enough to feel what I am feeling and anticipate my actions. Thus, I learn how to be cautions in all my actions.

What change has this missionary volunteer experience made to your life?

The six month missionary volunteering has changed me for the better. It enlightened me to start, stop, continue and change some of my actions and perspectives in life. It enlightens me to start appreciating the care and concerns of others. It convinced me to start believing in myself and make more new friends. And it taught me to continue seeing the goodness, greatness and talents of others. Also the experience taught me how to smile despite the sadness that is reigning in my heart, being optimistic despite the negativities around me, be productive with my time, be patient in all adversities and conflicts, be sensitive to the feelings of others, show concern and love to others and learn how to enjoy. It made me realize that I should stop being a pessimist and judgmental. And lastly it taught me to change for the better.

What wisdom do you bring back to your personal life in the Philippines?

Lastly, the whole missionary volunteering experience was productive and very formative because of His power. During stormy days and crooked roads the only one who sustained and gave me strength to stand and fight back is Jesus. Participating in the Mass, praying the Rosary and offering all my actions to Him every day have helped me to become closer and more intimate with Him. It truly illuminates my spirit to live and love.

20191126_FIS1.jpg

20191126_FIS2.jpg

20191126_FIS3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5260(II)_Protect All Life - The Pope's Pastoral Visit to Japan

Pope Francis, the Pope of Mercy, Joy, and Peace By Mr. Chihiro OKAWA, EXDB Tokyo, Japan, 27 November 2019 -- The Pastoral Visit of Pope Francis to Japan took place from 23-26 November. The Pope, who was eager to go to the mission in Japan w...
    Date2019.11.27 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1281 file
    Read More
  2. 5260(I)_EAO Social Communication with renewed vision

ALA_5260 Resolutions of EAO SC delegates 2019-2020 By Mr. Michael Gartland AUL Social communication team Melbourne, Australia, 27 November 2019 -- The 2019 East Asia Oceania Social Communication commission was especially notable this year b...
    Date2019.11.27 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views574 file
    Read More
  3. 5259(IV)_Prayers during the discernment for new SDB provincial of India-Tiruchy

ALA_5259 By Our own correspondent Tiruchy, Tamil Nadu, India, 26 November 2019 -- There are 90 Salesian provinces around the world and each year some of them get a new provincial, to exercise the service of authority for a 6 year period. Ea...
    Date2019.11.26 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1563 file
    Read More
  4. 5259(III)_Pope Francis touches the hearts of the Thai people

ALA_5259 Compassion, humility and modesty wins over the Thai people By Fr John Bosco Theparat Bangkok, Thailand, 26 November 2019 -- “Pope’s compassion, humility, modesty wins over many Thais”, in the words of the Bangkok Post, could well b...
    Date2019.11.26 CategoryTHA Reply1 Views912 file
    Read More
  5. 5259(II)_Visit of Fr Guilermo Basañes to Suva Community

ALA_5259 Missionary enthusiasm among the young Salesians in Fiji By Cl. Afi'a Enosa Don Bosco House Suva, Fiji, 26 November 2019 -- Fr. Guillermo Basanes, General Councillor for the Missions, arrived in Fiji lately on Wednesday night, accom...
    Date2019.11.26 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1553 file
    Read More
  6. 5259(I)_Missionary volunteer illuminates the spirit of love

ALA_5259 What Filipinos are learning in Cambodia By SALVO former volunteer – Josteno Hernan Cebu, Philippines, 26 November 2019 -- Another SALVO Volunteer offers thoughts on his experience. How was your volunteer experience in Cambodia? I h...
    Date2019.11.26 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views611 file
    Read More
  7. 5258(IV)_Inspiring change in society through Servant Leadership

ALA_5258 Don Bosco Technological Institute’s significant graduation By Lucy Napitalai Boroko, PM, Papua New Guinea, 21 November 2019 -- The 18th graduation rites ceremony of Don Bosco Technological Institute (DBTI) was held at the DBTI gymn...
    Date2019.11.25 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views820 file
    Read More
  8. 5258(III)_Mr. Christine Umpad – former SALVO volunteer in Cambodia

ALA_5258 What volunteers are learning in mission lands Cebu, Philippines, 24 November 2019 -- Interview with FIS Missionary Volunteer from SALVO (Salesian Lay Volunteers): How was your brief volunteer experience in Cambodia? My volunteering...
    Date2019.11.25 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views657 file
    Read More
  9. 5258(II)_255 graduates at DBTS, Gabutu

ALA_5258 92 Grade 12 and 163 Industrial Training Course (ITC) 2 students Graduate at DBTS By Nigel Akuani Gabutu, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea 22 November 2019 -- It was a heartfelt and joyous moment for Don Bosco Technical School in Gabu...
    Date2019.11.25 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1033 file
    Read More
  10. 5258(I)_Witness to the growth of Missionary Culture in the EAO region

ALA_5258 Missionary Animation Wisdom 1992-2019 By Fr Achille Loro Piana Tokyo, Japan, 23 November 2019 -- Interview with Fr Achille Loro Piana. Yours has been a long journey of missionary animation. What are your 3 most treasured experience...
    Date2019.11.25 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views872 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 ... 536 Next
/ 536