PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20190726_KOR.jpg

Interview with Fr Michael Chang, SDB
EAO Translators Workshop 2019

By Our Own Correspondent

Gwangju, Korea, 26 July, 2019 -- Fr. Michael Chang is currently the Rector of Gwangju - Salesian High School community and is one of the 20 SDBs who are preparing for the Second EAO Translators Workshop in Myanmar. SDBs from CIN (2), GIA (1), INA (1), KOR (2), MYM (5), THA (1), TLS (1), VIE (4 from Vietnam and one from Mongolia) will be at the Workshop.

What has been your formation to the translation ministry?

I think it will be a good opportunity to serve my fellow SDBs who do not know a foreign language well. Although I am a member of the (provincial) Translation Committee, I have not yet started a translation ministry. I have translated the Buonanotte (Goodnight) several times for my religious community. The linguistic side is assisted by the lay mission partner (English Teacher) and I ask missionaries in the province about Salesian Context.

What is you working method for translation?

I mainly use Google Translate. Some are considering the Papago (papago.naver.com) provided by a Korean Portal Service because they are optimized for Korean Language. There is no experience yet. I think the translation committee in my Province should discern and put together a Korean Salesian terminology/glossary.

What is your suggestion fora more effective and qualified translation ministry?

First of all, I think it is most important to do well in one's own native language. And if possible, an early education in the foreign languages to be translated comes second. In addition, the background in Salesian Spirituality should be strong. If a Salesian province has more than a certain number of confreres, it is necessary to train a confrere who will be dedicated to translation ministry. The deep interest of the Provincial Superior is requested and I expect translation ministry to be coordinated through the activities of the Translation Committee.

Any other expectations or needs as a Salesian translator?

I would like to hear some useful methods and motivations from the EAO Translators Workshop participants. I also expect and suggest compiling a 'catalog' of Salesian Terminology (Identifying differences in usage according to language-culture).

Related news article

Related material:

20190726_KOR1.jpg

20190726_KOR2.jpg