Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20190330_INA.jpg

Bro. Alfridus Bojes Tena, SDB

By Fr Peter Tukan, SDB

Jakarta, Indonesia, 29 March 2019 -- When it was still a Delegation, then now as a new vice-Province, the Salesian presence in Indonesia has been blessed with the Salesian Brothers’ vocation. There have been losses along the formation path of the Salesian Brothers in this period of growth, for example some are now already in peace in heaven and some have left the Congregation. But gradually, care for the vocation of the Salesian Brother continues to be attended to and improved.

But the fact also shows that there is a viable perseverance rate of those who remain in the Congregation. Right now, the vice-Province of INA has 10 Salesian Brothers out of 62 professed members. One of the this group of Salesian Brothers is Brother Alfridus Tena SDB (32 years old), who is fondly known among the Salesians and young people as “Brother Bojes”.

With 8 years of temporary profession this year, Br Bojes keeps renewing his motivation to love his vocation as a Salesian Brother. “I first saw the Salesian life witnessed by the Salesian pioneer, Father Jose Carbonell, then I also have many experiences with many Salesians in my formation years, all these just for me to be happy and to be always a Salesian Brother,” he said. Many of his companions have left the Salesian Congregation but he doesn’t allow such a thought to distract his conviction to remain a Salesian.

When considering his capacity for specialization, the Superiors asked Bojes to study electrical engineering at the State University of Indonesia, namely the “Universitas Nasional Jakarta” in the capital city of Jakarta. Brother Bojes begun his study in 2012, carrying out the intention of the Superiors to earn a diploma of education in the field of electrical engineering.

After two years, his study was interrupted because he had to do his formation as a practical trainee in the community at Weepangali on the Island of Sumba. After practical training, he came back to Jakarta to continue his study, pursuing his bachelors in technical education. He was able to obtain this degree over 5 and a half years.

He said, “I am satisfied with all the efforts that I have made, which gave me a high passing grade: ‘IPK 3,26’. I thank God, the Congregation, and all those who have helped me along these years of academic endeavour.” He expressed this on the graduation day which took place on Sunday 24 March, 2019 in a convention hall in central Jakarta. He was seen so happy and grateful together with 59 other graduates, his companions.

Br Bojes hopes that with this diploma in education, he can dedicate his Salesian life as a teacher and educator in the Salesian way.

20190330_INA1.jpg

20190330_INA2.jpg

20190330_INA3.jpg

20190330_INA4.jpg

20190330_INA5.jpg

20190330_INA6.jpg