PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20170226_PGS.jpg

Celebrating 50 years of Priestly Service Fr. Valeriano Barbero, SDB

By Arlene Abital
Photo by Arlene Abital and Karl David Valmonte

Port Moresby, PNG, 25 February 2017 -- Fr. Valeriano Barbero, SDB, pioneer Salesian missionary and builder in Papua New Guinea for 37 years, was the main celebrant as he celebrated his Golden Anniversary as a Salesian priest, on 25th February, in the Shrine of Mary Help of Christians, Boroko.

His Excellency Mathew Vayalunkal, Apostolic Nuncio to Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands; Sir John Cardinal Ribat, msc, Archbishop of Port Moresby; Sir Archbishop Franceso Panfilo, SDB, Archbishop of Rabaul; Fr. Peter Baquero, SDB Bishop-elect of the Diocese of Kerema, together with 16 priests concelebrated at the Eucharistic celebration. The joyous and momentous event was witnessed by close friends of Fr. Valeriano, different religious congregations, staff, students and other guests.

Reflecting on the Gospel of St. Luke, Fr. Valeriano expressed his heartfelt gratitude to God and his many friends for the countless blessings he received during the past 50 years of his priestly life. He said, “Thank you Lord for choosing me to become a priest.” He reminisced the 60 days he was in the hospital in Italy and considered them as blessings of what God has chosen for him. “The Spirit of the Lord has come upon me and I will continue to be a Priest Forever!” said Fr. Valeriano. “God has called us for special purposes in life and I will continue to serve the church and the people of Papua New Guinea. ‘Dio solo,’ Only God,” said the calm and relaxed missionary as he recalled the words of the first Provincial Superior and Servant of God, Fr. Charles Braga, SDB.

The liturgy was prayerful with a harmonious choir. The Don Bosco Haus boys and some teachers of Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu sang under the baton of Ms Rica Lavilla. At communion, they beautifully rendered ‘Tu es sacerdos’ composed by Fr. Angel Sanchez, SDB, Rector of the school.

The Apostolic Nuncio presented Fr. Valeriano with the warm greetings and message of the Holy Father, Pope Francis. Before the final blessing, Fr. Louie Castañeda, SDB Vice Provincial and Rector of Don Bosco Technical Institute, Boroko projected a video clip as a tribute to Fr. Valeriano. It included photographs of the missionary work of Fr. Valeriano in Papua New Guinea. Cardinal Ribat, the Apostolic Nuncio, Salesians and friends shared their insights and wished him Gods abundant blessings on this special event.

Guests were then directed for a reception to the newly-renovated multi-purpose hall at DBTI. Archbishop Panfilo shared high points of the 50 years they have known and worked together not merely as confreres, but close friends, who never once fought. He also mentioned that the Risen Lord and Our Blessed Mother have always been prominent features in the churches and shrines built by Fr. Valeriano, both in the Philippines and in Papua New Guinea. In thanking the gathering, Fr. Valeriano recalled the words of one student, ‘Every time I think of you, I feel joy in my heart’.

Special thanks to Fr. Louie Castañeda, SDB for preparing the occasion and reception, Fr. Angel Sanchez, SDB, DBTS Rector for the beautiful choir during the Mass and Fr. Roger Miranda, SDB MHC Shrine’s Rector for the liturgical animation.

25th February is a day on which Salesian institutions present in 132 countries commemorate the Feast of St. Bishop Aloysius Versiglia and Fr. Callistus Carvario. The Salesian saints were martyred in China as they protected the lives of the girls who were with them. Their sweat and blood is a reminder for us to give of our best to our people in the EAO region.

Highlights of the life of Fr. Valeriano Barbero, SDB.

• Birthday: August 31, 1938
  • 1st Profession: 16 August 1956
  • Ordination: 18 March 1967
  • Official Arrival in PNG: June 14, 1980, Rector of the 1st Salesian community
  • The Salesians took over the St. Peter's Vocational Centre, Araimiri, and in 1985 re-named it Don Bosco High School, Araimiri. In 1989, he started the Salesian Presence in Orokolo Region, Gulf Province. He developed the Mission Station and Primary school in Lariau and was the Parish Priest of Mary Help of Christians parish, Lariau.
  • In mid-1994 PNG was made a Delegation and he was appointed the 1st Delegate Superior at the start of 1995 until the end of 1997.
  • In 1995, he started developing the East Boroko Area (Savio Haus, Caritas school, DBTI and Emmaus Conference Centre)
  • In 2001 (up to 2004), he was asked to be Delegate-Superior once again while remaining Delegation Economer, after Archbishop Francesco Panfilo was made bishop.
  • In 2011, he started working in the Archdiocese of Rabaul while being a member of the Vunabosco Community.
  • In 2013, he was asked to be Administrator of the Diocese of Kerema.

20170226_PGS0.jpg

20170226_PGS1.jpg

The Apostolic Nuncio presents Fr Valeriano with wishes from the Holy Father

20170226_PGS2.jpg

20170226_PGS3.jpg

Fr Valeriano with the concelebrants

20170226_PGS4.jpg

Fr Valeriano with Mr Vincent and family

20170226_PGS5.jpg

Fr Valeriano together with VIPs at the celebration

20170226_PGS6.jpg

20170226_PGS7.jpg