by ceteratolle posted Jan 15, 2017
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20170115_KOR.jpg

Fr. John Lee Taeseok’s story does inspire also today!

By Bro. Hilario Seo, SDB

Kwangju, Korea, 15 January -- As every year around the 14th of January, the memorial day of the late Fr. John Lee, 15th January of this year, many Friends of Don Bosco, benefactors of the Fr John Lee Memorial Foundation gathered, even though the weather was very cold, 10 degrees below zero, in the Catholic cemetery of Kwangju (South Korea) to remember his example of missionary life.

Seven years after the departure of Fr John Lee (1962-2010) we still witness an ongoing impact of the famous movie ‘Don’t Cry for Me Tonj!’ watched by many millions of people in seven languages thanks to the Missioni Don Bosco Torino, Italy. The 2009 Korean publication of Fr. John Lee’s book ‘Will You Be My Friend?’ was reprinted not less than 30 times by the Caritas Sisters ‘Bible & Life Publishing House’ is still the bestseller. The ‘Fr. John Lee Memorial Foundation’ in Seoul, South Korea is still a magnificent bridge between the Korean benefactors and missions field specially South Sudan people providing fund, material help and volunteers for many education, social and health care works in this war thorn country of South Sudan. Among many publications shines the story of Fr. John Lee in the Government primary schools textbook as example of sacrificed, generous life given for others.

Even now many non-Christian youth after watching the ‘Sudan-Tonj’ documentary about Fr. John Lee are deeply moved to tears and ask to start the catechumenate or young Catholics ask to become Salesians (not only in Korea). Some of the young Salesians in the EAO got the first inspiration to write their missionary application to the Rector Major!

Seven years after the demise of Fr. John Lee we treasure his simple and highly committed Salesian missionary and priestly life. May many more Salesian missionaries around the EAO region become more visible models for the young people.

Waching video 'Don't Cry For Me, Tonj'

Fr.John Lee related materials on the Boscolink

Fr. John Lee Memorial Foundation (Korean)

20170115_KOR1.jpg

At the Fr. John Lee's tomb in the Salesians' zone inside the Kwangju Archdiocese Cemetery

20170115_KOR2.jpg

20170115_KOR3.jpg

20170115_KOR4.jpg

20170115_KOR5.jpg

20170115_KOR6.jpg

20170115_KOR7.jpg

The book cover of 'Will you be my friend?'