PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1144 Comment 0

20180606_CIN.jpg

Interview with Br. Joseph Cheung

By Our Own Correspondent

Hong Kong, 5 June 2018 -- One life time spent in the education mission

What fills your heart with joy as Salesian Brother?

My heart is filled with joy as I have been professed as a Salesian Brother for 54 years. I can say proudly that I have followed Don Bosco for all these years. I am happy to be a Salesian Brother, because as a Brother I can offer myself entirely to God, but at the same time I can follow a career that I like, i.e. the education of youth. Looking back, I can say that I have led a fruitful and meaningful life.

You spent many years in the school apostolate. What experiences do you treasure most in your heart?

I was a school principal for 25 years, acting according to my conscience, trying to do well in everything, and offering everything to God. "I do my best and God will do the rest." I treated well everyone under my care, including teachers, clerical and menial staff, and most of all the students. For the benefit of the schools and students, I contacted benefactors, not only asking for their help, but also keeping them in contact, sending them warm regards during the year, and informing them about the school. Besides benefactors, I also kept close contact with government officials, especially those in the Education Department. I treated them as a member of our Educative Community. So the experience I treasure most is the good relationships established throughout the years, inside and outside of the school, sometimes forging life - long friendships along the way.

Now you dedicate your time in the HK Salesian School Education Office. What is this mission about?

The Salesian Province of China runs 12 schools in Hong Kong, 6 secondary schools and 6 primary schools. The Education Office, which we call Central Secretariat, acts as a liaison office between the Provincial and the schools, between the province and the government, on all matters concerning education. The Central Secretariat supports the schools, especially when they need help; assists with the procedures with regard to the registration of the schools and their managers;sets up common guidelines for the schools, especially those practices of Salesian tradition; provides materials for the schools about Salesian Education and the Preventive System; organizes courses and seminars for school principals, school middle management, and teachers; and so on.

SDB and Lay Mission Partners working together in Hong Kong: What are the achievements and challenges?

SDB and Lay Mission Partners working side by side in Hong Kong. Our province is proud to have organized many formation activities for the Lay Mission Partners working in schools. Our focus is primarily on the Principals. These formation activities are so successful that our principals are filled with lively Salesian spirit now, so much so that they can be viewed as Lay Salesians, leading the schools with true Salesian Spirit. The challenge ahead is to keep up the good work, plan formation activities not only for the principals, but also for the middle management personnel of our schools.

How can we foster the visibility of Salesian Brother within the Salesian Family and Catholic community?

I have a rather simple suggestion to help answer this question. In our province, we have a young and energetic team for the promotion of vocations. If we can ask this vocation team to give substantial attention to Salesian Brother vocation each time when they mention Salesian Priestly vocation, then perhaps we may expect some good results in fostering visibility of Salesian Brother.

After participating in many EAO Salesian Brother Congresses, what do you suggest for the fruitful program and follow up of this 7th EAO Congress in Vietnam?

I have participated in three EAO Salesian Brother Congress in the past. The most difficult problem in these congresses is the language. Not all Brothers can speak well English, some even have difficulty in understanding English. The general deficiency in the English Language prevents going deeper into the issues. So each congress can only satisfy itself with some simple consensus and some cultural exchanges, showing our proper family spirit. Looking ahead, the best we can do is to understand and agree on a few basic issues, and along the way, forge warm spirit of brotherhood. The individuals leading the meetings and discussions will be very important, it is vital that they can reach out to the participants.

Any other sharing?

You may be glad to know that a few years ago, Bro. Thomas Cheung (deceased) and myself have managed to translate the (Golden) book " The Salesian Brother" into Chinese. This is quite a step forward, isn't it?

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5315(I)_A Diamond Jubilarian “ever full of sap and green” (Ps 92[91]:14)

ALA_5315 By Fr. Lanfranco M. Fedrigotti SDB Tainan, Taiwan, 11 February -- Today, 11 February 2020, Memorial of Our Lady of Lourdes, World Day of Prayer for the Sick, the St. Joseph the Worker Salesian Community of Tainan Salesian Technical...
    Date2020.02.13 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views865 file
    Read More
  2. 5297(II)_Youth Work in Asia: Theory and Practice

ALA_5297 Published work of Fr. Peter Newbery, SDB By Don Bosco Publishing Services, HK China Hong Kong, China, January 2020 -- In recent years, scholars in Asia have been building up a body of work in the social sciences which focuses more ...
    Date2020.01.17 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views720 file
    Read More
  3. 5290(II)_90th anniversary of Sts Versiglia and Caravario's martyrdom

ALA_5290 China province dedicates 2020 to the Martyrdom anniversary By Fr. Carlos Cheung Hong Kong, China, 7 January 2020 -- For the New Year 2020 Fr. Joseph NG, SDB provincial of China released a YouTube video message sharing the motivatio...
    Date2020.01.07 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1103 file
    Read More
  4. 5269(III)_Journeying with young people

ALA_5269 Lay invitee to GC28, China Province By Fr Ambrose Pereira, SDB Hong Kong, 9 December 2019 -- Phyllis Tang, Youth Ministry Coordinator in Hong Kong, Province of China, has been selected to represent the EAO region at the forthcoming...
    Date2019.12.09 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1286 file
    Read More
  5. 5251(II)_2019 Memory of Artemides Zatti in Taiwan: Brother Salesian Presence 100% Increase

ALA_5251 By Fr Lanfranco Fedrigotti Taiwan, 14 November 2019 -- On Wednesday, 13 November 2019, the Liturgical Memorial of Salesian Brother Artemides Zatti and Taiwan Salesian Brothers Day, the presence of Brother Salesians in Taiwan experi...
    Date2019.11.15 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1169 file
    Read More
  6. 5238(II)_24 October 1919-2019: A Sino-Marian Centenary

ALA_5238 “Entrust everything... to Mary Help of Christians, and you will see what miracles are” By Fr. Lanfranco Fedrigotti Hong Kong, China, 24 October 2019 -- Responding to the inspired and inspiring call of Provincial Fr. Joseph Ng Chi Y...
    Date2019.10.29 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views925 file
    Read More
  7. 5221(III)_The language that everybody understands is love

The Musical about St. Joseph Freiandanermetz, SVD By Our Own Correspondent Hong Kong, 6 October 2019 -- While we pray for the people and Salesian Family in Hong Kong, in this Extraordinary missionary month we remember the only canonized Sai...
    Date2019.10.07 CategoryCIN Reply1 Views1002 file
    Read More
  8. 5211(I)_Growth of 'Bosco Youth Services' in Macau

By Mr. Stephen Cheung Bosco Youth Services - Macau Macau, China, 25 September 2019 -- For the past 20 years the dream of Don Bosco (1844) about the sheep transformed into shepherds is coming true in Macau (CIN province) through the 'Bosco Y...
    Date2019.09.27 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views864 file
    Read More
  9. 5176(II)_Salesian Formation: From Africa to China province

Interview with Fr Ephrem Kisenga Mwangwa, SDB By Our Own Correspondent Taipei, Taiwan, 19 August 2019 -- The Taipei formation community has received a valuable contribution from the AFC (Africa-Congo) province since last November 2018, in t...
    Date2019.08.20 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1145 file
    Read More
  10. 5174(II)_The Rector Major met 70 confreres in Hong Kong

Rector Major's final day in China Province By Peggy Li Hong Kong, 17 August 2019 --The last day of Fr Ángel Fernández Artime's animation visit to the Salesian China Province. The Rector Major met 70 confreres of the province at the Salesian...
    Date2019.08.18 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views693 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 24 Next
/ 24