?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20190820_CIN.jpg

Interview with Fr Ephrem Kisenga Mwangwa, SDB

By Our Own Correspondent

Taipei, Taiwan, 19 August 2019 -- The Taipei formation community has received a valuable contribution from the AFC (Africa-Congo) province since last November 2018, in the person of one valuable formator, Fr. Ephrem Kisenga. Although he is still adjusting to the new culture and studying the Chinese language, he was ready to share his insights after his first nine months of missionary life in Asia. At present the DRC (Democratic Republic of Congo) is the only country in Africa with two provinces, AFC: with its provincial house in Lumumbashi, 240 SDBs and ACC (Africa Congo-Congo Brazzavile, 120 SDBs): with its provincial house in Kinshasa, the nation's capital. This latter is the fastest growing Salesian reality in the continent with 170+ Salesians in initial formation.

What was your motivation for coming to Taiwan?

To be honest I didn't have any special motivation, because the proposal came from my provincial, so I accepted it as any assignment, believing that God wants me to be where the superior wants me to be and I don't regret being here. I'm happy.

Did you suffer any cultural shock so far?

Cultural shock as such... I think just the food in the beginning. It felt a bit strange because it tasted sweet to me... but after one month I got used to it and now I like this food so much. One thing which surprised me is the time, even if I knew about it, but in the beginning I was sleeping during meditation, for almost the whole first week after my arrival. Another thing different from Africa is technology which is far more advanced here than in Africa.

You are experiencing your first year in Asia. What are the common points of African and Asian culture?

My first year in Asia has been very interesting, and I discovered that Asian tradition and African tradition are close; some customs are same, such as solidarity, respect for strangers (foreigners). The worldview is also almost the same, such as the importance given to marriage, the way of counting the months of the year, because in African tradition we have 13 months, and it is the same in Chinese culture. But I can't claim that I know Asian culture yet. I need more time, including learning Chinese!

How would you invite your Congolese Salesians to come on mission in Taiwan?

I think the best way of inviting Congolese Salesians is by giving good testimony of life as Salesian missionary, and the Congolese are usually able to live everywhere and get used to things. I humbly believe China province also needs Congolese confreres just as the Congolese need to learn from the Chinese.

What do you learn from Taiwanese Catholics who are in the minority?

What l'm still learning from the Catholics in Taiwan is their faithfulness. They try to keep their faith, which seems to be a mature faith.

Anything you would like to share with the wider Salesian worldwide community?

What I could suggest would not be so good maybe because I feel it is early, but nevertheless, I think that what Fr. Lanfranco (former superior of China province) proposed for African Salesians, is very important! It needs to be encouraged by the Regional Councillor, wherever he visits the provinces in the Africa and Madagascar Region. I think that especially for Congolese Salesians sometimes it is very good for some confreres to be formed in other provinces and come to work in Congo. So, why not to formed in Asia, specially in China? It could help my home province of AFC (Congo) to have different mentalities, it could help the province specially in administration. I mean, forming our confreres in other provinces, from philosophy to theology. And if it were possible, why not already from the Novitiate? I will make more suggestions for you after getting more experience! Let us stay united in prayer!

20190820_CIN1.jpg

20190820_CIN2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5446(IV)_First Native Vocation in Taiwan Perpetually Professed

ALA_5446 Salesian Brother Paul Giligiliaw Tamauwlul By Fr. Lanfranco Fedrigotti, SDB Taipei, Taiwan, 16 August 2020 -- Today, 16 August 2020, was a golden letter day for the Salesian Family in Taiwan. In the afternoon, the Saint John Bos...
    Date2020.08.17 CategoryCIN Reply3 Views865 file
    Read More
  2. 5445(I)_Annual Retreat 2020 for Hong Kong - Macau SDBs

ALA_5445 By CIN provincial secretary Hong Kong, China, 13 August 2020 -- Between August 2 - 8, 2020, some forty Salesians of China Province held the second batch of annual retreat with the theme of GC28: "What Kind of Salesians for the You...
    Date2020.08.16 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views460 file
    Read More
  3. 5441(I)_Farewell to Fr. John Ma - one of the Taiwan pioneers

ALA_5441 First Rector in Taiwan (1926-2020) By Fr. Lanfranco Fedrigotti Taipei, Taiwan, 9 August 2020 -- At about 14:00 hours on Friday, 07 August 2020, the Good Lord has called to himself our beloved 93-year-old Fr John Ma Yeong Ding (192...
    Date2020.08.10 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views765 file
    Read More
  4. 5434(II)_When we serve, we become like Jesus!

ALA_5434 First profession of two Salesians in Hong Kong By Cl. Andrew Chan and Cl. Thomas Li Newly professed Salesians Salesian Missionary House, Hong Kong, China, 30 July 2020 -- The 12 novices for 2020-2021 in Lawaan - Cebu (FIS), Novice...
    Date2020.07.30 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views755 file
    Read More
  5. 5415(III)_Ordination of Anthony Pun Ming Chi

ALA_5415 By Ms. Phyllis Tang Hong Kong, 7 July 2020 -- Last Saturday, July 4, Deacon Anthony Pun Ming Chi was ordained priest in St Anthony’s Church, where he had been baptized, confirmed and served as an altar boy during his childhood and...
    Date2020.07.07 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views584 file
    Read More
  6. 5414_Statistics on Religions and Churches in China

ALA_5414 Upcoming feast of 120 Holy Chinese Martyrs By our own correspondent Rome, 3 July 2020 -- The liturgical feast of China's Catholic Martyrs (July 9) - St. Augustin Zhao and Companions - is coming soon. We celebrate the 120 Catholic ...
    Date2020.07.05 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views969 file
    Read More
  7. 5403_Macau Bosco Youth Service Network Annual report 2019

ALA_5403 By Ms Jacqueline Leung Bosco Youth Service Network, Macau, China, 18 June 2020 -- As is the case every year, this June 2020 too, the Bosco Youth Service Network has released its 2019 Annual Report (download: Boscolink). Almost one...
    Date2020.06.18 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views615 file
    Read More
  8. 5400(II)_Macau, Instituto Salesiano starts rebuilding (2020-2024)

ALA_5400 By Fr. Joseph Hung Instituto Salesiano, Macau, 14 June 2020 -- Founded in 1906, the first Salesian work in South China, the Instituto Salesiano, Macau (a primary and secondary school) is undergoing an extension construction projec...
    Date2020.06.15 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1234 file
    Read More
  9. 5397(IV)_Miss Audrey Donnithorne, Extraordinary Laywoman, Salesian Parishioner, Lover of Don Bosco, R.I.P.

ALA_5397 By Fr. Lanfranco M. Fedrigotti, SDB Hong Kong, 9 June 2020 -- Miss Audrey Donnithorne died today, 9 June 2020, in Hong Kong, aged 97. She was born in 1922 in Sichuan Province (China) of a missionary couple of the Anglican Church M...
    Date2020.06.10 CategoryCIN Reply2 Views1177 file
    Read More
  10. 5387(II)_Interview with Archbishop emeritus of Taipei, Joseph Ti Kang, ASC

ALA_5387 By Fr. Lanfranco Fedrigotti, SDB Taipei – Saint John Bosco Parish, 26 May 2020 -- On the Feastday of Mary Help of Christians (24 May 2020) Archbishop Joseph Ti-Kang, emeritus of Taipei (92 years old, Archbishop of Taipei: 1989-200...
    Date2020.05.26 CategoryCIN Reply1 Views1350 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Next
/ 24