Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5358

20200417_CIN.jpg

"Always try to see the best in people"

By 'Macau News'

Macau, China, 17 April 2020 -- Known and beloved by many of the faithful in Macau, Father Aidan Conroy has been serving as a priest in the city for over 40 years and has been in Asia for nearly 60 years.

Born 1 February 1939 in Cork City, Ireland, to a family of eight as the fifth child, Conroy had always wanted to become a priest. But initially, it was actually his elder brother’s ambition, one that Conroy himself considered for all the “wrong” reasons.

Having lived near a golf course throughout his childhood, he frequently glimpsed past its fence when heading home from school every day and saw priests playing golf. This had a young Conroy pondering becoming a priest someday – to get to play golf. “Of course, it was a wrong reason for becoming a priest, but the idea was planted,” he adds.

He also admired his elder brother – who wanted to be a priest – as a good footballer and, wanting to be good at the sport himself, priesthood yet again piqued Conroy’s interest. “Another wrong reason!”

Whatever his early reasoning, Conroy’s parents were happy with his choice and he entered Salesian Secondary College in Pallaskenry, County Limerick in Ireland for his junior cycle of secondary education in 1952. “All of us aspired to be priests and missionaries,” he says. “But not all persevered.”

He was happy there and went forward to the next stage, the novitiate year, a period of deep reflection and preparation before taking his first vows. Conroy then completed two years of philosophy and academic studies, followed by two years of practical training in Ireland.

During his novitiate, the Salesians of Don Bosco Society had asked for volunteers for Hong Kong. “I think we all volunteered,” he recalls. He would not make the journey east, however, until after he completed his training in 1962. Conroy taught at Hong Kong’s Tang King Po School, a secondary school founded by the Salesians in 1953, from 1962 to 1969.

Before being assigned to Macau, he returned to Ireland for theological studies at Maynooth College, in north County Kildare of Ireland, known as the “national seminary” of Ireland, and remained there for four years. Ordained on December 17, 1972, Conroy returned to Hong Kong in 1973.

Conroy made the move to Macau in 1975, taking an official teaching position at Instituto Salesiano (IS), one of the city’s oldest educational institutions, founded in 1906 by Fr Louis Versiglia near the end of the Qing dynasty.

He taught English at IS, then a vocational school for boys. As Conroy shares, in the early years – before students could aspire to university education – it was their mission to make their graduates easily employable once they left IS. He stopped teaching five years ago, but still does some composition work with pupils who volunteer for some extra work. “Of course, as a priest,” he says, “I will never retire until someone tells me I am past my ‘sell by date’!”

With extra time on his hands – and if he’s not in Ireland for his biannual trip to visit family – he likes to read for relaxation. Conroy says that he’d always enjoy a Robert Ludlum book. Aside from that, his favourite spiritual writer is F. Jack McArdle: “I like his simple, homely, down-to-earth style.”

A quote he’d like to share is this: “Always try to see the best in people; we all have good points, even though no one is perfect, and we are equally loved by God.”

20200417_CIN1.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5775(II)_China Province launches Commemoration of the 400th Anniversary of the Death of St. Francis de Sales

By Ms Phyllis Tang Salesian Youth Ministry Coordinator Hong Kong, 16 February 2022 -- The Rector Major Fr Ángel Fernández Artime announced last year that 2022 will be "the 400th anniversary of the death of St Francis de Sales,...
    Date2022.02.16 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views745 file
    Read More
  2. 5740_Jesus, We Love You!

Salesian Altar Servers Day By Cl. Leo Leung, SDB Shau Kei Wan, HK China, 1 December 2021 -- Is the duty of the altar servers just to serve at the altar during Mass? Being an altar server is definitely more than that! What we usually forget ...
    Date2021.12.01 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views7470 file
    Read More
  3. 5733(I)_2021 Salesian Brothers Day

By Brother Joseph Cheung Hong Kong, China, 22 November 2021 -- November 13th, the liturgical Commemoration of Blessed Artemides Zatti, is our traditional day in Salesian China Province to hold the Salesian Brothers Day to celebrate the Reli...
    Date2021.11.22 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views918 file
    Read More
  4. 5722(V)_Celebrating the year of Fr Paul Albera

By Ms Phyllis Tang Hong Kong, China, 4 November 2021 -- On 23 October 2021 (Saturday), the Salesian China Province had the book launching of the Chinese Translation of two Salesian books, entitled "A Lamp Resplendent" and "Martyrs in China"...
    Date2021.11.04 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views624 file
    Read More
  5. 5720(III)_Celebration of Blessed Michael Rua in St John Bosco Parish, Taipei Taiwan

By Delphin Taipei, Taiwan, 31 October 2021 -- On 29 October 2021 the SDBs from Blessed Michael Rua Salesian Specific Formation phase for students for the priesthood (the theologate BR) with the Salesian Cooperators belonging to the Blessed ...
    Date2021.10.31 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views892 file
    Read More
  6. 5679(V)_Rebuilding of the first EAO Salesian school in Macau

Instituto Salesiano, Macau SAR, China, 24 August 2021 -- Just 15 months after the commencement ceremony (May 24, 2020) of the extension construction project, you can see a busy construction site (Video link below) through a birds-eye view o...
    Date2021.08.24 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views3020 file
    Read More
  7. 5676(I)_New Salesian deacon in Hong Kong

By CIN Soc Com Hong Kong, China, 21 August 2021 -- On 14 August – Saturday, Cl. Peter So Ming Hong was ordained deacon by His Eminence Cardinal Joseph Zen, Bishop Emeritus of Catholic Diocese of Hong Kong, at St. Anthony Parish, Hong ...
    Date2021.08.20 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views794676 file
    Read More
  8. 5638(I)_53rd and 1st Graduation Ceremony in Taipei

By our Taiwan correspondent Taipei, Taiwan, 27 June 2021 -- Saturday 26 June 2021, the Jesuit-run Fu Jen Faculty of Theology of Saint Robert Bellarmine held its 53rd Graduation Ceremony. For us Salesians of Don Bosco, however, who three yea...
    Date2021.06.27 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1007 file
    Read More
  9. 5632(I)_Social Communication Workshop (China Province) by Social communication office

By CIN Social Communication office Hong Kong, China, 17 June 2021 -- Lay mission partners from the Social Communication Office, Vox Amica and Youth Ministry Office gathered in the Francis Hall, Mary Help of Christians Building, Salesian Mis...
    Date2021.06.18 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1095 file
    Read More
  10. 5578(V)_China Province Salesian Youth Day 2021

By Ms Phyllis Tang Salesian Youth Movement Coordinator Hong Kong, 27 February 2021 -- Salesian Youth Day (SYD), in fact, is no longer a strange term in the Salesian Family. It is held most of the time at provincial level, occasionally also ...
    Date2021.03.04 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1309 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Next
/ 24