Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
CIN
2017.11.11 16:24

4548(I)_Thank you Don Nicosia!

Views 1613 Comment 0

20171111_CIN.jpg

We learn from the zeal and simplicity of Fr. Nicosia

By Fr. Carlos Cheung, SDB

Hong Kong, 9 November 2017 -- My very first impression of Father Nicosia was in 1998 when I was an aspirant. He was introduced to all aspirants by our formator in charge. He immediately appraised all eight of us including Father Cyril Law and myself by calling us “Angels”. And we should be ordained priests immediately after tomorrow. After proceeding my Salesian vocation discernment where I began my prenovitiate in Escola de Luigi Versiglia, where Father Nicosia lived for twenty-six years.

Since the school is far from the city and I have to travel to attend different Salesianity courses offered by Salesians in Instituto Salesiano and Yuet Wah college. While I was waiting for a driver, Father Nicosia volunteered to bring me to those schools. All the way, he appreciated and gave me lots of affirmations for my effort that I have given to the boarders and youngsters. Meanwhile, he reminded me not to be disappointed when there are failures but to do everything for the love of Jesus and Mary. His encouragement strengthened my vocation discernment, especially when I was in a period of questioning and struggling moment.

When I was living with him, I witnessed his frugality of life, totally dedicated his whole life for the poor and the needy. Sometimes we prepared some delicacies for meal time, such as coffee or wine, but Father Nicosia would insist not to enjoy. His personality is silent but very fatherly and meek. Fr. Nicosia’s enthusiasm and caring when encountering others make me associates his special devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus-- the Good Shepherd. My experience in the postunancy would never be completed without his good Salesian example in the way his words and deeds made me think of with our beloved founder Don Bosco; a man of God and a servant of the young and needy.

My second close experience with Father Nicosia was when I finished my practical training and began my Specific Salesian Priestly Formation in Shau Kei Wan. Father Nicosia was asked by the Provincial to transfer to St. Mary Elderly House in Hong Kong from Macau due to his health condition. My Rector Father Lanfranco wanted me to drive Father Nicosia to the Salesian House of Studies in Shau Kei Wan for Saturday solemn vespers and community meal every week. Fr. Nicosia always insisted to lead the Rosary prayer and use Latin intentionally. The way he accompanied a young confrere was so simple and proactive that taught me to pay special devotion towards the Blessed Mother no matter in living with the Salesian community or working for the young people.

Father Nicosia was also a very good confessor. Many confreres including myself and lay faithful came to him for spiritual guidance. His compassion and understanding towards the penitents’ shortcomings encouraged all of us to respond to the greater love of Jesus with our own conversion.

As I am ordained to a Salesian Priest almost for three years, there are times when a new priest would be stressful due to different new demands for priests. But remembering Fr. Nicosia’s word during my ordination “Coraggio! Jesus loves you. You offer everything to Jesus and Jesus will give you anything for your mission… Jesus is in you…in persona Christi”, I am able to move on.

Thank you Father Nicosia for your accompany. You have set a clear and good example for all young Salesians. You have demonstrated that no matter how many difficulties we encountered, the love of Jesus will be the strongest support of our religious life. Please pray for us all religious on Earth, especially the Salesians, to learn from your simplicity and zeal for the needy and the poor. And by experiencing the love of Jesus we may truly become the sign and bearers of God’s love to the young (Const. 16).

20171111_CIN1.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5166(I)_In the heart to heart sharing

Visit of Rector Major to the China Province: Day 1 By Peggy Li Macau, China, 11 August 2019 -- This moment has been long awaited. The Rector Major, Fr. Ángel Fernández Artime, accompanied by the EAO Regional Councilor Fr. Klement Vaclav and...
    Date2019.08.12 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1127 file
    Read More
  2. 5164(III)_China province welcomes the 10th successor of Don Bosco

Macau, Taiwan and Hong Kong By Our Own Correspondent Hong Kong, 10 August 2019 -- For one week, from 11-17 August, the tenth successor of Don Bosco, Fr. Ángel Fernández Artime will once again be in the EAO region. This is his last animation...
    Date2019.08.10 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views920 file
    Read More
  3. 5140(I)_Translation of Salesian texts is a never ending adventure

Interview with a Young EAO Salesian Translator By Our Own Correspondent Hong Kong, 13 July, 2019 -- Among the 30 participants in the upcoming 2nd EAO Salesian Translators Workshop will be 8 young generation SDBs this time - this is very pro...
    Date2019.07.15 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views607 file
    Read More
  4. 5136(I)_We are One and Diverse

Salesian Family CIN By Phyllis Tang Hong Kong, 7 July 2019 -- A two-day seminar on the Charter of Charismatic Identity of the Salesian Family was held last weekend, 6 -7 July, in Salesian House of Studies, Shau Kei Wan, Hong Kong. Among the...
    Date2019.07.12 CategoryCIN Reply1 Views1142 file
    Read More
  5. 5113(I)_Social Communication Workshop CIN

By Ms. Rian Manliguez Hong Kong, 30 May 2019 -- In response to EAO Region Meeting of Delegates for Social Communication , about promoting the use of social media to spread the spirit of Don Bosco and the Good News among the youth. Fr. Leong...
    Date2019.06.12 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views904 file
    Read More
  6. 5077(II)_Hong Kong Quarterly Meeting

By Fr Rhomel Mendoza, SDB Hong Kong - 1 May, 2019 -- On the Feast of St Joseph the Worker, from 4:30 pm to 7:00 pm, the Quarterly Meeting of the Salesians of Don Bosco in one of the four territories of China Province - Hong Kong Territory -...
    Date2019.05.02 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views26546 file
    Read More
  7. 5074(III)_We shall continue to listen… to accompany the youth

Provincial Chapter CIN By Fr Rhomel Mendoza, SDB Hong Kong, 27 April 2019 -- The Carthusians and, I guess also the Camaldolese, have an ancient saying: “We have never been reformed, because we have never been deformed.” But for us Salesians...
    Date2019.04.28 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views810 file
    Read More
  8. 5071(II)_Six Bosconians baptized at Easter - ATS Hong Kong

Young people in Hong Kong chose Jesus - Easter 2019 By Cl. Leo Leung, SDB Aberdeen Technical School, Hong Kong, 24 April 2019 -- During this Easter Triduum, the Aberdeen Technical School Religious Team held a spiritual camp for the students...
    Date2019.04.24 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views645 file
    Read More
  9. 5030(I)_Learn to accompany

SYDHK 2019 By Ms Phyllis Tang Senior Youth Ministry Coordinator Hong Kong, 2 March 2019 -- The Salesian Youth Day (SYD), in fact, is no longer a strange term in the Salesian Family. It is held most of the time at provincial level, occasiona...
    Date2019.03.08 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1169 file
    Read More
  10. 5001(I)_Welcome to Taiwan!

Migrant ministry in Taiwan - Filipino Salesian experience sharing By Fr. Peter E. Porio, SDB FIS missionary in Taiwan Tainan, Taiwan, 4 February 2019 -- On the occasion of New Lunar Year of the Golden Pig, I would like to share with you the...
    Date2019.02.05 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views870 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24 Next
/ 24