austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20190618_THA.jpg

By Our Own Correspondent

Bangkok, Thailand, 17 June 2019 -- Among the 3rd EAO Salesianity Seminar - Workshop in Batulao (FIN) last May 2019 the most numerous group present was from THA Province (Thailand-Cambodia-Laos), with the majority being teachers from our schools. The massive participation of lay mission partners from Thailand is due to the strong support, physical presence and translation service of the Provincial, Fr. John Bosco Theparat PITISANT. Two SDBs from the Province of Saint Paul (THA) calmly share their thoughts on this event after a few weeks back home, one working in Thailand and other in Laos:

Fr. Anusit Chanphen (Thai, newly ordained Salesian priest, assigned to Sarasit School in Banpong)

"I was very impressed to be with all participants of the 3rd EAO Salesianity seminar in Batulao. The THA Province presence there was quite different from other EAO provinces because most of the others were Salesians working in formation houses and schools. Yes, there were some other lay mission partners who are dedicating for the formation of the lay people who are working in Don Bosco’s spirit.

The teachers from Thailand came from different backgrounds. Most of them are Catholic, only one is Buddhist. Some of them have a good knowledge of catechism and theology while some of them are very poor in these things. Most of them could not understand English. Therefore, it was very hard for them to communicate with other people. However, I tried my best to translate from English into Thai and explained to them more when it came to engage with historical, biblical, and theological aspects. I realised that it was quite hard for them to understand but they tried a lot. Over the ten days I used each day in the afternoon to ask them to reflect, and share their own experiences from different settings. I was enriched by their insights. Moreover, it was a specific time for them to be enriched and fulfilled with the spirit of Don Bosco when they lived together with other people from our region (SDBs, LMPs). The teachers were able to mingle with others, and embraced the spirit of joy and optimism even though they could not communicate in English much. Apart from the lessons during the seminar, I think they were encouraged to see and realise the unity of Don Bosco’s spirit in different settings, cultures, and contexts.

I think it was very useful for teachers but we have to attempt to find the way to support them continuously in whatever ways we can do. Moreover it is very important for our young confreres too. They should experience this kind of joint formation with Lay Mission Partners, because they are more motivated to understand the reality of the world so that they can engage what they have learned with the real people and situations."

On the other hand Vietnamese missionary in Laos, Fr. Paul Trung (Don Bosco TVET in Vientiane) shares after participating in the Salesianity Workshop over the past 3 years:

"I was so happy and grateful to all superiors and the Congregation that gave me a chance to renew and refresh my experience Salesian spirit together with other members of the Salesian family. The Salesianity course I took was very useful and enriched my understanding of Spirituality and of our founder Saint John Bosco.

And still there are many challenges for us here in Laos: How do we implant the Salesian Charism, the Salesian spirit in this land? We need more unity in spirit and in action - all the time. My dream for Laos is to expand our Salesian work like in other provinces or countries. We may start an Oratory or Youth center with a simple tutoring for poor youth... like Don Bosco at Valdocco.

Here in Laos everyday we are learning from the reality of life and we try to read the signs of our times: What God wants us to know and to do for the young! Please, pray for us!"

Related news article

20190618_THA1.jpg

20190618_THA2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5140(II)_1M4M - Chance to Connect to the Word of God

By Mr. Matt Humpreys Engadine Youth Ministry Engadine (Sydney), Australia, 14 July 2019 -- 'I am writing to share with you an online ministry. I thought you might like to share this with others something that is coming from a lay Salesian i...
    Date2019.07.15 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views642 file
    Read More
  2. 5118_Australia-Pacific Province Online News Service

By Mr Michael Gartland AUL Communications Officer Melbourne, Australia, 17 June 2019 -- The online news service of the Australia-Pacific province has undergone a complete renovation. Now entitled The Links (available here: https://news.sale...
    Date2019.06.17 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1124 file
    Read More
  3. 5116_New Volunteers for the Cagliero Project

By Lauren Hichaaba Director of the Cagliero Project and AUL PDMA Melbourne, Australia, 14 June 2019 -- Volunteers are the beating heart of the Cagliero Project. We are forever blown away by the generosity of young people, and young at heart...
    Date2019.06.15 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1128 file
    Read More
  4. 5113(V)_Celebrating International Environment Day

By Our Own Correspondent Sunbury, Victoria, Australia, 11 June 2019 -- Salesian College Sunbury students are adopting admirable oral morals when it comes to recycling. The students are seeking used toothpaste tubes, bottles and caps, toothb...
    Date2019.06.12 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views678 file
    Read More
  5. 5110(III)_To The End of the Earth - Conversations with Fr. Patrick J. O'Grady, SDB

Valuable contribution to Australian Salesian history By Mr. Jeffrey R. Bradley Melbourne, Australia, 6 June 2019 -- Mr Jeffrey R. Bradley, Don Bosco Past Pupilfrom Boys Town, Engadine (NSW - Sydney) has published another book exploring the ...
    Date2019.06.07 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views860 file
    Read More
  6. 5096(II)_Australia-Pacific Salesian Provincial Chapter 21

By Fr Will Matthews, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 22 May 2019 -- On 20-24 May, Delegates of the Province of Mary Help of Christians [Australia, Samoa, Fiji and New Zealand] gather at Catholic Leadership Centre in East Melbourne to celebrate th...
    Date2019.05.22 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1717 file
    Read More
  7. 5088(I)_Australia's OzBosco 2019

By Fr Will Matthews, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 14 May 2019 -- By now, OzBosco has well and truly established itself as the premier youth event on the Salesian calendar in Australia, and for very good reason. The latest rendition, held from ...
    Date2019.05.14 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views5695 file
    Read More
  8. 5087(I)_"G’Day Cobber, Dare to Be a Saint!"

A rich spiritual profile of one outstanding Australian Salesian: Fr Bill Edwards (1928-2010) By Fr Stephen Ardill, SDB Port Lincoln, South Australia, 12 May 2019 -- Fr. Stephen Ardill (diocesan clergy of Port Pirie in South Australia), one ...
    Date2019.05.13 CategoryAUL Reply1 Views1135 file
    Read More
  9. 5049(I)_Salesian Students Graduate

University of Divinity Graduation, Melbourne, Australia By Fr Phil Gleeson, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 22 March 2019 -- On the evening of Friday 22 March, the various Colleges affiliated with the University of Divinity gathered in St Paul's ...
    Date2019.03.27 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1379 file
    Read More
  10. 5045(II)_Educator, Actor & Pastor

Fr Michael Keogh SDB [1926-2019] By Fr William Matthews Australia-Pacific Provincial Adelaide, Australia, 22 March 2019 -- A long-time missionary priest of Australia-Pacific Province, Fr Michael Keogh SDB, returned to the Lord early in the ...
    Date2019.03.23 CategoryAUL Reply2 Views21292 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 26 Next
/ 26