Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 459 Comment 0

20190417_RMG.jpg

Holy Week - opportunity to connect to the South Sudan refugees

By Fr. MC George, SDB

RMG, 17 April 2019 -- A few days ago, Pope Francis met the two South Sudan leaders after their two day retreat in the Vatican and made a strong appeal for peace in their country. There are already more than 400,000 dead, millions of daily suffering people and still more than 4 million South Sudanese refugees living in camps located in other countries, also in Uganda. Palabek is one of them.

Every year as part of the 'Salesian Mission Day' we select a specific project to support. This year we have a BEAUTIFUL proposal – little chapels in the refugee camps we look after, starting first of all with FIVE chapels that we need in Palabek itself, our latest intervention among the refugees in Africa (Uganda). You can read for yourself the Palabek refugee camp story (animation booklet for the Salesian Mission Day 2019).

We call them chapels not because they are small. They need to be big because there are crowds of Christians coming together each Sunday. They are chapels only in as much as they are extremely simple and poor – almost only a roof held up by pillars.

By the way, these chapels are used on weekdays for various meetings, gatherings, classes, cultural programs on weekdays. So they also serve as community centers of culture, education and formation.

They are extremely cheap – only 9,500 euro for the materials needed for a chapel. We do not need much labour either. The refugees themselves will do most of the work. I know that some of you will say, “This is simple. I shall talk to the Provincial or to the Director of the Mission Office or to our province PDO (Planning and Development Office). We shall pay for one chapel.”

Rather than do this, I earnestly urge you to use this project as an animation tool, to strike a spark in the hearts, minds and imagination of the young in our Don Bosco education institutions, in our formation houses or among Catholics of our parishes. Ask an individual to contribute just one symbolic brick, or a family to give ten bricks or a group to build a pillar or buy one sheet of corrugated iron sheet. Start a competition among the youth groups or associations in our schools or among the wards in our parishes to see who contributes more bricks. Let the chapels be mass-funded, not merely the donation of one rich family or institution.

If it will help your animation work, we could send you a high-resolution photo of one of the three chapels that Palabek has, which you can use to print a poster. And why not to start just during this Holy Week?

20190417_RMG1.jpg

20190417_RMG2.jpg

20190417_RMG3.jpg

20190417_RMG4.jpg

20190417_RMG5.jpg

20190417_RMG6.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5159(I)_Renewal of Vows

By Fr Bernie Graham, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 2 August 2019 -- On Friday 2 August during the weekly celebration of the Community Day Eucharist Cl Duc Tran and Cl Joseph Vu renewed their Temporary Vows before Fr Bernie Graham, Vice Provinci...
    Date2019.08.04 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1466 file
    Read More
  2. 5144(III)_Young Australian Salesians Immerse in Cambodian life

By Lauren Hichaaba Director of the Cagliero Project and AUL PDMA Melbourne, Australia, 19 July 2019 -- Every year the Cagliero Project journeys with a group of young Australians for an immersion experience. This year the group travelled to ...
    Date2019.07.19 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1135 file
    Read More
  3. 5140(II)_1M4M - Chance to Connect to the Word of God

By Mr. Matt Humpreys Engadine Youth Ministry Engadine (Sydney), Australia, 14 July 2019 -- 'I am writing to share with you an online ministry. I thought you might like to share this with others something that is coming from a lay Salesian i...
    Date2019.07.15 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views646 file
    Read More
  4. 5118_Australia-Pacific Province Online News Service

By Mr Michael Gartland AUL Communications Officer Melbourne, Australia, 17 June 2019 -- The online news service of the Australia-Pacific province has undergone a complete renovation. Now entitled The Links (available here: https://news.sale...
    Date2019.06.17 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1127 file
    Read More
  5. 5116_New Volunteers for the Cagliero Project

By Lauren Hichaaba Director of the Cagliero Project and AUL PDMA Melbourne, Australia, 14 June 2019 -- Volunteers are the beating heart of the Cagliero Project. We are forever blown away by the generosity of young people, and young at heart...
    Date2019.06.15 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1130 file
    Read More
  6. 5113(V)_Celebrating International Environment Day

By Our Own Correspondent Sunbury, Victoria, Australia, 11 June 2019 -- Salesian College Sunbury students are adopting admirable oral morals when it comes to recycling. The students are seeking used toothpaste tubes, bottles and caps, toothb...
    Date2019.06.12 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views679 file
    Read More
  7. 5110(III)_To The End of the Earth - Conversations with Fr. Patrick J. O'Grady, SDB

Valuable contribution to Australian Salesian history By Mr. Jeffrey R. Bradley Melbourne, Australia, 6 June 2019 -- Mr Jeffrey R. Bradley, Don Bosco Past Pupilfrom Boys Town, Engadine (NSW - Sydney) has published another book exploring the ...
    Date2019.06.07 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views861 file
    Read More
  8. 5096(II)_Australia-Pacific Salesian Provincial Chapter 21

By Fr Will Matthews, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 22 May 2019 -- On 20-24 May, Delegates of the Province of Mary Help of Christians [Australia, Samoa, Fiji and New Zealand] gather at Catholic Leadership Centre in East Melbourne to celebrate th...
    Date2019.05.22 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1719 file
    Read More
  9. 5088(I)_Australia's OzBosco 2019

By Fr Will Matthews, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 14 May 2019 -- By now, OzBosco has well and truly established itself as the premier youth event on the Salesian calendar in Australia, and for very good reason. The latest rendition, held from ...
    Date2019.05.14 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views5717 file
    Read More
  10. 5087(I)_"G’Day Cobber, Dare to Be a Saint!"

A rich spiritual profile of one outstanding Australian Salesian: Fr Bill Edwards (1928-2010) By Fr Stephen Ardill, SDB Port Lincoln, South Australia, 12 May 2019 -- Fr. Stephen Ardill (diocesan clergy of Port Pirie in South Australia), one ...
    Date2019.05.13 CategoryAUL Reply1 Views1139 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 26 Next
/ 26