Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20171123_Pac.jpg

Sharing of missionary - practical trainee in Samoa

By Cl. Peter Nguyen Duc Minh, SDB

Savaii Island, Samoa, 23 November 2017 -- "Greetings from Don Bosco Salelologa, Savai - Samoa! This year I just work in the school. I teach computer studies for junior classes. I am very happy about it, since I have good chance to work directly with the youth. I love them and they also love me, I can feel it. The students are very close, friendly and enthusiastic also about helping some chores in the school. We are having the final exam and will finish this year school in two weeks. Please, pray for us especially for the students this time. Next year, I will continue here for the second year of my practical training. Yes, confreres are supporting me by giving time for my acculturation and language progress. So I have not too many classes this year. The life in an apostolic community is sometimes a challenge since we do not have much time for meals and prayers together.

There are about 300 students from year 9 to year 13 and three Technical classes (year 1-3). I like this school’s system very much. We have both Academic and Technical classes. It is hard for students here if they are not good enough at English, they struggle with their studies because most of the subjects are held in English. The Technical classes for students who cannot follow the academic classes in English. These classes help them to continue their studies in the school. We have five sectors of the technical program: Plumbing, Carpentry, Welding, Mechanics and Tourism – Hospitality. When they graduate, they can get job or continue to study in university.

We have 34 lay mission partners (teachers and staff) and 4 Salesians (3 fathers and 1 brother) with 2 lay missionary volunteers (one from Australia and one from New Zealand).

In Samoa especially here in Savaii Island, students and teachers are very close. Students respect teachers very much and teachers also take care students carefully. You know here we have many camps for students a year as camp for sport competition, camp for exams. Normally each camp is in one week. We are having a long camp in three weeks for year 12 and 13 for final exam. Teachers cook for them, teach them at night and assist them the whole time. I think Salesian Spirit is inside them. They are good cooperators. I have many lessons from them. I admire them very much.