austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20190913_PAC.jpg

By Lauren Hichaaba, AUL PDMA

Salelologa, Samoa, 11 September 2019 -- Don Bosco High School and Vocational Centre is in the village of Salelologa on the remote island of Savai’i in Samoa. The school opened in 2011 under the leadership of Fr. Mosese Tui, SDB. Since then the school has developed in leaps and bounds and is the premier school for the young people on the island. The beauty of the school is that it enables young people to remain with their family instead of migrating to the other island of Upolu in order to receive an education.

The current Principal of the school is Fr. Nuku Lefai, SDB. The entire Salesian community, and most especially Fr. Nuku in the school, work hard to bring the message and spirit of Don Bosco to this beautiful island and to the young people.

This past week the students of Don Bosco were visited by some very special guests. The Director, Producer and mother of some of the most incredible Samoan films came especially to Savai’i to speak to the students at the school. Stallone Vaiaoga-Ioasa and Abba Dinash Vaiaoga-Ioasa (Abba-Rose) gave of their time generously to be with the students of Don Bosco. Stallone and Abba Rose have worked on three major feature films – Three Wise Cousins, Hibiscus and Ruthless and their latest release that is currently in cinemas, Take Home Pay.

The students were able to ask questions to Stallone and Abba-Rose and learn about what motivated them and how they entered the film industry. The students were wise and brave in their questioning. They asked many questions about the process of making a film and Stallone and Abba-Rose took great care to answer each and every question thoughtfully and with time. They expressed beautiful sentiments about creating films that have a message of humility and service – surely a message that is not at the forefront of the average filmmakers’ mind. Stallone, when speaking of Hibiscus and Ruthless, told the students that one of the major messages of the film was about the ability to hold two cultures simultaneously while also remaining yourself. This sentiment is so important for many Pacifican young people, particularly those living in a context different to their place of birth or cultural background.

The three films released by this inspiring duo and their team touch upon very important themes for young people in Samoa, for young people in the Pacific and young people in general. The latest film, Take Home Pay is comedic genius yet at the same time manages to delicately bring some very important messages to the forefront. It is clear that the team from ‘Measure Twice Shoot Once Films (m2s1films)’ have a deep love and respect for their Samoan background. The way in which this film is made also shows incredible humility and respect towards those who choose to watch their films. Poignancy is not an easy thing to achieve and they do so gracefully and with great skill.

More important than the fact this team make wonderful films, is the fact they are inspiring role models for our young people. They have worked hard, achieved their dreams and have done so in a humble, authentic and respectful way.

Their films can be purchased online and current and future projects can be followed on Facebook at Instagram by searching @m2s1films.

20190913_PAC1.jpg

20190913_PAC2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • Payforessay 2021.08.06 17:27

Being in a dreadful need of on-time work in physics the only place I had found to agree to get over it was https://payforessay.net service. To my biggest luck, it turned out to be a great decision! The calculations were correct, and the summary page had all the required material. I am ecstatic of the comments I get on my project. Awesome!

1. 5634(I)_Suva Community – Charity support for some families

By Afia Enosa, SDB DB House, Suva, Fiji Islands, 23 June 2021 -- On Saturday, 19 June, the community prepared small food parcels for some families living around the area that are affected by the second wave of the Covid pandemic. We were ab...
    Date2021.06.23 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views623 file
    Read More
  2. 5599(I)_Salesian Family Gathering: Fiji

By Afia Enosa, SDB Suva, Fiji Islands, 15 April 2021 -- The Salesian Family in Fiji gathered last week on Friday, 9 February 2021. This was the second gathering since the group was formed last year and was unable to meet again due to the pa...
    Date2021.04.17 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views1224 file
    Read More
  3. 5594(I)_Holy Week - Saint John Bosco Parish, Suva (Fiji)

By Afia Enosa St John Bosco Parish Suva, Fiji, 6 April 2021 -- Holy Week celebrates the great event of our salvation beginning with Palm Sunday. The weather forecast for the week was rain…heavy rain! This did not dampen the enthusias...
    Date2021.04.07 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views867 file
    Read More
  4. 5588(II)_“With the young at the oratory in Suva, Fiji”

By Bro. Afia Enosa Nakasi (Suva), Fiji Islands, 25 March 2021 -- Every Thursday and Saturday evenings, we have our Oratory at the Parish Centre where most of the young people from our Saint John Bosco Parish participate in our evening activ...
    Date2021.03.25 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views906 file
    Read More
  5. 5573(I)_Solomon Islands Don Bosco Rural Training Centre Inauguration of scholastic year

By Fr. Robinson Parappilly Honiara, Solomons, 19 February 2021 -- The Don Bosco Rural Training centre came alive on 19th February to inaugurate the new scholastic year invoking the Holy spirit. The Holy Eucharist was presided over by Rector...
    Date2021.02.20 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views840 file
    Read More
  6. 5513(I)_Pacific Regional Seminary (PRS) Graduation 2020

ALA_5513 By Cl. Afia Enosa Suva, Fiji, 19 November 2020 -- Last Friday, 13 November, Archbishop Peter Loy Chong was the principal celebrant at the Eucharist to mark the end of the academic year and the graduation of the 2020 Class. Among t...
    Date2020.11.19 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views1555 file
    Read More
  7. 5512(IV)_A New Oratory in the Fiji Islands

ALA_5512 By Cl. Peter Duc Nguyen, SDB Suva, Fiji Islands 18 November 2020 -- The Oratory has started again after a temporary shut down during the pandemic lockdown and restrictions. About 100 people are joining the oratory every Saturday a...
    Date2020.11.18 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views1128 file
    Read More
  8. 5204(II)_Salesian Mission Day 2019 in Fiji

By Cl. Afia Enosa, SDB Postnovice Suva, Fiji Islands, 19 September 2019 -- “Without realizing it, they welcomed angels”, a message that echoes the attention from all the laity, families and friends who took part in the celebration of the Sa...
    Date2019.09.20 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views1106 file
    Read More
  9. 5202(II)_Kiwi Bosco Youth Retreat

By Lauren Hichaaba AUL PDMA and Director of the Cagliero Project Massey, Auckland, New Zealand, 16 September 2019 -- This past weekend youth gathered from St. Paul’s Parish in Massey, Auckland, to celebrate their Kiwi Bosco Youth Retreat. T...
    Date2019.09.17 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views1207 file
    Read More
  10. 5198(III)_Don Bosco Students in Samoa Visited by World Class Filmmakers

By Lauren Hichaaba, AUL PDMA Salelologa, Samoa, 11 September 2019 -- Don Bosco High School and Vocational Centre is in the village of Salelologa on the remote island of Savai’i in Samoa. The school opened in 2011 under the leadership of Fr....
    Date2019.09.13 CategoryPac. Reply1 Views1663 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
/ 10