Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20190613_WOR.jpg

Fr. Havasi, SDB (1929-2019)

By Bro Geza Nadurvari, SDB
Provincial Secretary - UNG province

Budapest, Hungary, 8 June 2019 -- As we know, Fr. Joszef Havasi ( Provincial Hungary1991-2008) was the precursor of Project Europe launched by Fr. Chavez during the GC26 in 2008. He asked all communities and lay people to pray for the incoming missionaries already in 2004. Thanks to his farsighted vision some inspirations of the charismatic Project Europe were anticipated in Hungary through prayer, welcoming and accompanying of the first Vietnamese and Indian missionaries before 2008. Fr Havasi passed away on 5 June at 90 years of age, 72 years of Salesian religious life and 59 years as a priest.

The death of your former provincial Fr. Havasi was unexpected?

I have just read with tears in my eyes the kind letter of the Rector Major, Fr Ángel Fernandez Artime. He is right, Fr. Havasi was full of power and willingness to live for at least another 10 years. Nobody really expected his sudden death. But he was hospitalized due to his knee pain, so I went to take care of him, going 3 times a day, always seeking how to ease his suffering, also asking different confreres to accompany me. Everyone could talk to him with joy, optimism and laughter; he was very clear of mind up to the last minute. He was always so active, he could not bear any period without being busy.

How do you remember Fr. Havasi, when you joined the first Salesian community as an aspirant?

In the early 1990s, the Hungarian province had just restarted life under the guidance of Fr. Havasi, so I feel privileged to have witnessed it. I met the very first post-novices, the second term novices, and the whole province being rebuilt from ruins. Fr. Havasi was very kind and determined, he was really a good guide, and he was one of the youngest among all Salesians, who came together after 40 years of communism. He never bothered about criticism, he had an enormous power, being strong in spirit, and a willingness to restart everything. Later I learned his deepest motivations.

After 1950, when all Salesian institutes were taken and Blessed István Sándor was executed, the SDB provincial just escaped prison, broken in body but strong in spirit. He told young cleric Havasi: “Joe, we will restart everything one day!” Fr. Havasi didn't know that he had to wait for another 30 years to realise it. We can only imagine how optimistic they were, when a strong province with more than 200 confreres was broken and without any hope that communism would come to an end one day.

Fr. Havasi was a true father for all of us young Salesians who entered the Congregation after 1991. I always experienced his personal fatherly caring and love, and I felt privileged whenever I had the chance to talk and spend personal time with him. He was known as being strict and quick, always with clear vision, so my companions always wondered how I managed to talk with him for at least an hour.

Was Fr Havasi happy with your application for the missions in Africa?

After the province restarted a new life, each year God blessed us with 4 or 5 novices. My batch was the strongest, we were nine! So even if the province needed growth, I was allowed to pursue my missionary vocation. Fr Havasi didn't really agree, but let me go. We just hoped that more Hungarian vocations would come to rebuild the province. Because Fr Havasi lived most of his life in Austria, I would join the newly born mission in Ghana, entrusted to the German speaking provinces. In this way I would remain somehow closely attached to Hungary. I always hoped he would visit me in Africa together with the German and Austrian provincials, but he never came. As I am now the provincial secretary, I have discovered that he kept all my letters that I wrote to him, in the provincial archives. We tried to maintain frequent communications.

In some way was Fr Havasi also the precursor of Project Europe?

When I returned to Hungary in 2000, there were no more vocations for several years, elderly confreres slowly came to the end of their lives, so only a few young confreres remained. We were always fewer in number. So it was a great and wise gift from the Rector Major Fr Pasqual Chávez, that he sent not just one but 6 missionaries to our devastated and lethargic province. So everyone became very enthusiastic, since we saw we again have hope and future in our province. Although at the beginning Fr Havasi was afraid of how the elderly Hungarian confreres would welcome them. But later on the elderly turned out to be the most enthusiastic, they were teaching the Hungarian language and introducing the missionaries into our culture. Also, because we started to pray more, and our youth saw what the Salesian spirit really is, new local vocations started to arrive. We continued to receive new missionaries, so Fr. Havasi could very well strengthen all communities of the province with them.

I felt a little bit more competent to assist the new missionaries. With my missionary experience I knew very well how ones feels in a completely different culture and country. Maybe God wanted it that way, that I had to return from Africa to help other missionaries at home. So I was the one responsible for helping them settle into our province. Maybe that is the reason why Fr Havasi sent me to that welcoming community.

Funeral services and Eucharist will be held Monday 17 June at 15.00 in Péliföldszentkereszt, Hungary. I wish you God's abundant blessings on the Feast day of our dear brother, Blessed István Sándor.

Related article:

20190613_WOR1.jpg

20190613_WOR2.jpg

20190613_WOR3.jpg

20190613_WOR4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5136(II)_Provincial Visitation to Suva Community, Fiji

By Bro. Afia Enosa, SDB Nakasi (Suva) Fiji Islands, 8 July 2019 -- Fr William Matthews arrived on Thursday afternoon (4 July 2019) for the visitation of the Suva Community. The question, “Are you happy in your vocation?” was the theme of th...
    Date2019.07.12 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views1118 file
    Read More
  2. 5091(I)_The youngest Salesian parish in the EAO region

One Catholic community of many nations St. John Bosco Suva, Fiji By Fr. Mika Leilua, SDB Suva, Fiji Islands, 16 May 2019 -- We are proud to be the youngest (baby) parish in the whole EAO region! - Saint John Bosco Parish of Nasinu (Suva, Fi...
    Date2019.05.17 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views682 file
    Read More
  3. 5090(I)_Fr Vaclav Klement in Fiji

By Bro. Foua Peato, SDB Suva, Fiji, 16 May 2019 -- Fr Vaclav arrived in Fiji on the Friday, 10 May. His visitation to the community here in Suva brought news of great joy from the whole region and a message from the Rector Major strengtheni...
    Date2019.05.16 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views1898 file
    Read More
  4. 5088(II)_Fiji Community Retreat

By Bro. Afi'a Enosa, SDB Suva, Fiji Islands, 14 May 2019 -- The Salesian community in Fiji held their annual Retreat on 5-10 May at the Marist Brothers Novitiate complex in Lomeri on Fiji's main island, Viti Levu. The Retreat Director was F...
    Date2019.05.14 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views4254 file
    Read More
  5. 5086_From the Rector Major (2015) to the Pacific Games (2019)

Saleleloga Don Bosco By Fr. Nuku Lefai, SDB Savaii island, Samoa, 11 May 2019 -- It was a beautiful but drizzling day of May in 2015 when the successor of Don Bosco touched down for the first time on the island of Savaii in Samoa. You may a...
    Date2019.05.12 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views715 file
    Read More
  6. 5085(I)_First Center of Salesian Cooperators in Samoa

Best gift for the 40th anniversary of Salesian presence By Fr. Taisali Leuluai, SDB Delegate to the Salesian Cooperators, Samoa Alafua Don Bosco, Samoa (Pacific Delegation AUL), 10 May 2019 -- After the memorable visit of the Rector Major t...
    Date2019.05.11 CategoryPac. Reply1 Views1193 file
    Read More
  7. 5083_The Samoa presence about to celebrate 40 years

Don Bosco Alafua By Mr. Mane Principal Don Bosco Technical School Apia, Samoa, 8 May 2019 -- Our Salesian presence in Samoa will soon celebrate its 40th anniversary (November 1979 - August 2019) and our Alafua Don Bosco is known as the moth...
    Date2019.05.09 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views769 file
    Read More
  8. 5081(III)_Sharing on the first 10 years of Salesian presence in New Zealand

By Fr Mosese Tui, SDB Auckland, New Zealand, 6 May 2019 -- On the Feast day of Saint Dominic Savio (6 May) all four Salesians of the Auckland community (still living in two locations - Massey and Avondale, Rector Fr Mosese Tui) came togethe...
    Date2019.05.06 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views897 file
    Read More
  9. 5080(II)_Samoan Youth growing in Faith - Auckland, New Zealand

The Year of Youth in Auckland By Fr. Joseph Pham, SDB Massey - Auckland, New Zealand, 4 May 2019 -- Every first weekend of the month the Samoan youth growing around Auckland diocese are invited to come together at the Malaeola (Samoan Chapl...
    Date2019.05.05 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views1407 file
    Read More
  10. 5047(I)_St John Bosco Parish Sunday School Year 2019

By Cl. Afi'a Enosa, SDB Suva, Fiji Islands, 24 March 2019 -- As the new academic year begins in Fiji, the Catechetic classes (Sunday school) have also started. It is wonderful to see the young come from our parish centres in Muanikoso, Mako...
    Date2019.03.25 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views900 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
/ 10