Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20170314_AUL.jpg

A Day of Great Joy!

By Fr. Kyaw Hoe James, SDB

Suva, Fiji, 12 March 2017 -- In the presence of family members, thirty concelebrants and a packed cathedral, Brother Tuia Penese Afoa (SDB) was ordained deacon together with fellow students Vio Drou (Archdiocese of Fiji) and Patrick Visanti (Columban) by His Grace Archbishop Peter Loy Chong. Father Taisali Leuluai (SDB) represented the delegate of our newly established Pacific Delegation. At the beginning of the ordination rite, Father Paselio Tevaga (Rector of the Salesian Community in Suva) presented Tuia to the Archbishop for ordination.

In his homily the Archbishop had this message for Tuia, Patrick and Vio,

• “Be passionate about your work, serve the people with love and care”
  • “Be beacons of hope to those who still live in tents, and still face hardship no matter what their problems maybe”
  • “Be men of prayer, and proclaim the Gospel with your heart and with your life”

Present at this important event was Tuia’s father, Inosesio Afoa. After the ordination Mass, the tearful father shared that when he heard the news of his son’s ordination, he dropped all his plans, booked his ticket and flew across to Fiji last Friday. “I am here,” he said with a big smile, “to give my blessing for my boy. He is the first to take up the yoke of charity in the family. He has my heart, my love as a dad.”

At the reception, there was the traditional kava ceremony (sevusevu) to honour the newly ordained deacons. Then 102 students from the Don Bosco Sunday School sang a hymn of praise and thanks to God “for this your servant, for he has answered your call,” followed by five song-and-dance items, much to the delight of the guests. This was a proud moment for the students as they cheered and honoured their much-loved teacher, our brother, Deacon Tuia.

Tuia is in his last year of theological studies at the Pacific Regional Seminary. We wish him, Vio and Patrick, every blessing in their ministry of love and service for the young and all God’s people.

20170314_AUL1.jpg

20170314_AUL2.jpg