PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1185 Comment 0

20190214_EAO.jpg

Interview with Fr. Stanislaw Zimniak, SDB

ACSSA Secretary General

By Our Own Correspondent

Sampran, Thailand, 14 February, 2019 -- Interview with Fr Stanislaw Zimniak, who has spent 30 years working in the area of Salesian history.

How long have you been working in this area of Salesian history?

Following the decision of the then Delegate for Poland, Fr Dziedziel, and supported by the Provincial, Fr Adam Smieglewski, I received the obedience to study for the Licentiate in Church History at Lublin Catholic University (Poland), then was sent to Rome to continue my Church history studies at the Gregorian University (Rome). So I was able to earn my Licentiate and Doctoral degree in Church history and from 1990 until now I have been fully dedicated to the ISS (Istituto Storico Salesiano) - Salesian History Institute in Rome.

What makes you joyful in your ministry to Salesian history research?

I feel that my historical research is a very useful work for our Congregation from the scientific and cultural point of view. It is also very interesting, and it is very necessary to hand over our deeper and well-documented knowledge of history to future generations. Personally, I feel the need to cultivate historical memory as a sign of recognition of all those Salesians who preceded us and also as a concrete expression of my love for my neighbour.

Your main achievements in ACSSA (Association of Salesian Historians) and ISS (Salesian History Institute)?

ACSSA came into being on 9 October, 1996, after an initial idea launched in 1993 and an unofficial start in 1995. I was among the founding members of the Salesian Historians Association. Since 2000 I have been the Treasurer and Secretary. That means I am responsible for the organization of all ACSSA Continental Conferences (21 so far!) and World Congresses (6 so far). It also means following up the publications of the 'Acts/Proceedings' of each continental or world level conference.

I have been in different in different countries and archives in Krakow, Warszaw (Poland), Vienna (Austria), Ljublana (Slovenia), Munich and Cologne (Germany) doing historical research and also in the Vatican Archives and of course in our Central Salesian Archives and many SDB local archives.As the result of my work I have been able to publish my work on Fr Pietro Tirone, one of the first key members of the Salesian Congregation in Central Europe who later became also Catechist General. And many other articles and publications related mainly to the study of Salesians at the time of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Main challenges of your ministry in the ACSSA and ISS?

At the beginning they were language challenges, since at home I learned only Russian and German. During the past 30 years no major difficulties, only health limitations and my commitment to be consistent in my obedience. Since I didn’t choose this field of ministry, I often need to make the sacrifice of pushing ahead with it.

What are your dreams for the future?

Each researcher wants his work to have some impact, to help somebody. In the future I would like the ISS (Salesian Historical Institute) to have some more new members, hence to find more satisfactory results.

Although I was able to write some essential biographies, like the historical section of the Positio on Cardinal August Hlond, there are still a lot of still missing materials for a solid biography of Blessed Michael Rua, of the kind written by Fr Peter Braido on Don Bosco. And of course as ISS we are working on the 'Fr Albera project' for the next International Congress in 2021, focused on the Salesian Congregation during Fr Albera's time as Rector Major (1910-1921).

How can we make young Salesians enthusiastic about our history?

We miss people like …. one layman in Slovakia who tries to attract youth through the movement. Stirring up interest in the young about historical Salesian figures ...overcoming resistance among the young… ‘The past is over’ is one bias younger generations have….

How do you see the progress of the EAO Regional ACSSA Conference since 2004?

Yes, I have participated in all 4 EAO regional conferences (2004 Hong Kong, 2008 Batulao, 2013 Cebu and now in Sampran). Some participants are regular appearances at these, there is continuity. ACSSA would like to have continuit. It is not enough to send a different SDB or FMA each time.

Also the EAO Conferences show development - progress in methodology and scientific standards is obviousg. Now more EAO ACSSA members have a better knowledge about how to use biobligraphy, archives and other historiography sources.

However we still lack the involvement of other historians (Church and civil historiography) in the EAO region, to shed light on the Salesian work from other points of view. How to reach them? This time we have invited at least two Thai historians for this reason. I was happy to see that the Proceedings of the previous EAO Conferences have been read by some non-Salesian historians already. It's a joy!

And what about the spirituality of the Salesian historian?

Each Salesian or Salesian Family member who is involved in this ministry should have a cultural sensibility knowing that this field is important, that ‘this kind of work’ is necessary, important for the Congregation and have also a psychologically robust personality, as well as intellectual, linguistic capacity.

But the most important attitude is the empathy for this field: History research is useful for humanity. We need a great passion for Salesian history, including sacrifice and great patience in the lengthy work in archives. Sometimes you are there for long months and you should be not discouraged if you don't get the necessary sources immediately. Without this passion and spirituality it is impossible to be dedicated to this ministry. We do it for the sake of our Salesian mission. It is an integral part of my own vocation!

20190214_EAO1.jpg

20190214_EAO2.jpg

20190214_EAO3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5067_With suffering Jesus from the EAO to Colosseum

Good Friday Way of the Cross By Our Own Correspondent Talisay City, the Philippines, 19 April 2019 -- About 600 faithful gathered in the early morning (5 AM) of 19 April (Good Friday) at the Don Bosco Formation Center in Lawaan, Talisay Cit...
    Date2019.04.19 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views616 file
    Read More
  2. 5031(II)_Inspiration - Encouragement - Communion

Fruits of the 2019 EAO Seoul provincials meeting By Our Own Correspondent Seoul, Korea, 8 march 2019 -- After five days of intense work, animated by three General Councillors: Formation, Youth Ministry and EAO Regional Councillor, the 12 EA...
    Date2019.03.09 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1127 file
    Read More
  3. 5030(II)_Growing in economic self-sustainability

EAO economers 2019 By Fr Adriano Satura, SDB (FIS) EAO Coordinator for Economy Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, 7 March, 2019 -- The annual meeting of EAO Provincial Economers was held last March 3-6, 2019 in Emmaus Retreat House, Port Mores...
    Date2019.03.08 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1240 file
    Read More
  4. 5029(II)_Bridge and mutual awareness among the 23 countries of EAO region

AustraLasia – a unique experience among the 7 Salesian regions By Our Own Correspondent Seoul, Korea, 7 March 2019 -- Last month the AustraLasia news service shared its 5000th news article. Among the hundreds of daily readers we share the m...
    Date2019.03.07 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views9848 file
    Read More
  5. 5029(I)_Heart-touching experience of Korea

EAO Provincials - Seoul 2019, Day 2 By Our Own Correspondent Seoul, Korea, 6 March 2019 -- On the second day of the EAO 2019 Provincial meeting in Seoul, all participants were offered a good chance to experience the host country. After the ...
    Date2019.03.07 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views719 file
    Read More
  6. 5028(II)_Sharing and striving for holiness

EAO Provincials - Seoul 2019, Day 1 By Our Own Correspondent Seoul, Korea, 5 March 2019 -- The first full day of the East Asia - Oceania Provincials and Delegates meeting in Seoul, March 4 was characterized by the spirit of personal sharing...
    Date2019.03.06 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1035 file
    Read More
  7. 5013_Harvesting the fruits of the 4th EAO Salesian History Conference - 2019 Sampran

How to fall in love with Salesian history - journey of motivation and basic skills By Our Own Correspondent Sampran, Thailand, 16 February, 2019 -- After five full days, February 10-14 at the Ban Than Praphon, Sam Phran (FMA Retreat house) ...
    Date2019.02.17 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1116 file
    Read More
  8. 5010(II)_"I have Salesian blood"

Pilgrimage to the roots of Don Bosco in Thailand By Our Own Correspondent Sampran, Thailand, 14 February 2019 -- 'I have Salesian blood' - this is the enthusiastic greeting with which the 6th bishop of Ratchburi diocese John Bosco Panya Kri...
    Date2019.02.14 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1140 file
    Read More
  9. 5010(I)_How to fall in love with Salesian History

Interview with Fr. Stanislaw Zimniak, SDB ACSSA Secretary General By Our Own Correspondent Sampran, Thailand, 14 February, 2019 -- Interview with Fr Stanislaw Zimniak, who has spent 30 years working in the area of Salesian history. How long...
    Date2019.02.14 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1185 file
    Read More
  10. 5009(II)_What makes the Salesian Family members relevant?

4th EAO Salesian History Conference - phase one By Our Own Correspondent Sampran, Thailand, 13 February, 2019 -- (On the same day (13 February) that the first Salesians arrived in our EAO Region, precisely to Macau with Fr Luigi Versiglia a...
    Date2019.02.13 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1159 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 40 Next
/ 40