Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20180329_EAO.jpg

Every year young Salesians with a missionary heart

By Our Own Correspondent

EAO, 28 March 2018 -- So far five new missionary confreres from the EAO region: Three postnovices - from Vietnam (Dalat), one Salesian Brother from the Philippine South province and one practical trainee from Indonesia sent their missionary application to the Rector Major this year.

After a long journey – for most of them already from the novitiate time, they sent a simple ‘Application letter for the Missio Ad Gentes’ to the Successor of Don Bosco:

“My name is…. During past years living the Salesian apostolic consecration, I have been happy and peaceful. I have experienced multifaceted blessings God has bestowed upon me. He called me to be a member of the Congregation. Moreover, God has still inspired within me a missionary call for a deeper commitment and self-giving to our charism. After a careful and prayerful discernment with the help of my spiritual guide, I express to you [Fr. Angel – Rector Major] that I want to be counted as a missionary in the Congregation: ad exteros, ad gentes and ad vitam.

Please send me anywhere you think that it will serve most effectively to God's glory and the souls of young people. I put myself at your hands for the benefit of the Congregation. However, aware of my limitations, I would like to work with poorer and more abandoned people. I write this letter with full freedom…”

After receiving the application letter, the Rector Major with the assistance of the Councilor for the Missions does finalize the discernment with the help of the superiors (Rector, Formators and Provincial or Delegation council).

When they feel, the candidate is not yet ready or mature enough, they might arrange one year of practical training in some ‘close’ mission land (e.g. Papua New Guinea or Solomon Islands) and after that successful ‘missionary trial’ also this confrere may take part in the annual course for new missionaries (Rome – Turin, September; this year the 149th Salesian missionary expedition is scheduled for September 29 in the Basilica of Mary Help of Christians.)

Do you feel the attraction of Salesian missionary vocation? Have a look at the discernment criteria for your prayer and reflection! (attached the pages with the process of discernment).

20180329_EAO1.jpg

20180329_EAO2.jpg

20180329_EAO3.jpg

20180329_EAO4.jpg

20180329_EAO5.jpg

20180329_EAO6.jpg

20180329_EAO7.jpg