PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20161123_WOR.jpg

By Interview with Mrs. Noemi Bertola, ASC
World Coordinator, 2012-2018

K'Long, Vietnam, 23 November 2016

What changed in your life after becoming a Salesian Cooperator and making the Promise?

There was no dramatic conversion in my life like that of St Paul. But it was a journey of spiritual maturity and growth of different attitudes. I was already 38 years old, when I joined the Association, we can say a ‘late – mature vocation’ as a Past Pupils of FMA, when I perceived this step as a mature commitment. Later on also my husband joined after his own personal journey. However my first vocation was a family, with two daughters. And our family was living near the great Shrine of Don Bosco in Rome - Cinecittá. To become a Salesian Cooperators was a grace for our family, it helped us to mature as family and also as married couple. There were very slow changes in my life, but over the years I feel there was a great leap in my Christian life.

How did you live your apostolate in the Rome Municipality government over last 42 years?

Also in my professional life there was the hand of God! During those long years my job was always related to the young. And especially in past 18 years I was in charge of the Rome public Vocation Training Centers. That means working the whole day for the abandoned youth. For them the VTC is usually the last chance in their life. But again, it was the hand of Don Bosco, not my personal choices. I was in charge to supervise and coordinate all 9 public VTC in the city of Rome, from the organization, formation of staff, professional upgrade and administration.

The most beautiful experience in your Salesian life?

There were so many beautiful moments in my Salesian life! For ever I will be grateful to the FMA teachers in my school that I attended for 12 years, from Kindergarten to the Secondary School. They accompanied me in my cultural and spiritual growth during the school years. And my own family was really very closely related to the FMA Sisters in Via Dalmazia (Rome).

Then follows also my wonderful experience within the Association of the Salesian Cooperators (ASC). I’m sharing for long years my life journey with my local center in Rome. There are many senior members, like Mamma Margaret. Although they are old age, they share their strong faith, life struggles, but always faithful and entrusting all into the hands of God. In my Center I learned the holiness of everyday life! Also today I take part in the monthly meetings in Rome. And also my husband is the ASC provincial councilor.

As Salesian Cooperator I was enriched by many outstanding ASC figures like the former World Coordinator Rosario Maiorano and many others, working together for many years. All of them are part of my life. Before I was appointed in 2012 as the World Coordinator, I had already previous experience as the Local coordinator, Provincial coordinator, National coordinator (Italy) and also as the World Council Secretary since 2010. Yes, I learned step by step about animation of our Association.

How is the vocation health of the Association of the Salesian Cooperators Association?

Since last 2012 I visited already all 11 regions of the Salesian Cooperators and now I’m starting the second round. For example in these days I will be for the second time in the Philippines. We count about 32.000+ members of the Association, grouped in 90 provinces around the world.

Our Association is in very good health and is growing. Due to historical and geographical reasons the membership is not much increasing in numbers, but we experience a steadfast growth of maturity of our members and of the whole Association.

During past 6 years as the World Coordinator I travel always together with Fr. Giuseppe Casti and Sr. Leslye Sandigo (SDB and FMA World Delegates). In this way our animation is more fruitful, the presence of three of us is already a strong witness of working together. During past 6 years we try to share the Project of Apostolic Life (PAL) in any possible way. It’s the most important item for the Association in this period of history.

There are some wonderful growing and dynamic realities – in Africa or in Eastern Europe - deep and full of God’s working! Each visit to these countries leaves me very much enriched. I’m happy to witness growth in vocation maturity and in our mission. Many large apostolic works in the world are already in the hands of our members. For example in Kaunas (Lithuania) the whole staff of one public school are almost all Salesian Cooperators, it’s incredible! And we can witness the same in Croatia, Japan and in Latin America. Our members brought the Salesian spirit in to the teaching, administration and education environment. Sometimes you can feel there more Salesian spirit than in FMA or SDB schools.

What is your dream about the future of the Salesian Cooperators?

Yes, I nurture the same ongoing dream like Don Bosco. I dream that we become a leaven in the civil Society and within the local Church! This deep sense of social, ecclesial and even political commitment is being experienced in many countries.

What do you expect from the SDB and FMA Delegates for your Association?

Well, I expect our Delegates believe more in the vocation of the Salesian Cooperators! If all would be like our SDB and FMA World Delegates, we find ourselves like in heaven!

We face various challenges in some European countries, where the SDB are ‘powerful’ and don’t leave their ‘commanding’ place, and the lay people remain in the sacristy. But in the young Churches of Eastern Europe, Asia and Africa, where the Salesian Family is growing, we experience more outreaching and open mentality towards the Salesian Cooperators.

I would expect more openness towards our members, more knowledge of our vocation, of the Project of Apostolic Life (PAL) and conviction about our vocation. If some of our Delegates don’t read the PAL, they guide our Centre as any parish prayer group and don’t’ know us from within. It does not help our growth. They just come once a month to share their ‘talk’ and go.

Maybe it happens due to their multitasking. But where are living in minority Church, we are flourishing, also the Salesian Family has more sense, like in Lithuania. Sometimes the SDB are the first who don’t believe in our vocation and they consider us as their altar boys or altar girls or their (personal) helpers. There is long way for us to grow in autonomy with the communion!

Any sharing with the other 30 groups of the Salesian Family?

Yes, our belief in the Salesian Family is fundamental. The Association of the Salesian Cooperators is now full of the desire to live and open relationship within the large Salesian Family. There are thousands of challenges in the Salesian Family daily life. But the way forward depends always on the belief of the Salesians SDB and on their personal interest. Fortunately we experience often that at the world and provincial level of the Salesian Family animation we find a lot of open mind. I dream about more religious who believe our lay vocation in the Salesian Family.

PAL, art 14: The Salesian Cooperator entrusts him or herself to the Immaculate Virgin and Help of Christians, for She is the guide of one’s apostolic Vocation: to be a true “co- operator of God” in making His plan of salvation real.

20161123_WOR1.jpg

20161123_WOR2.jpg

20161123_WOR3.jpg

20161123_WOR4.jpg

20161123_WOR5.jpg