World

4455(II)_"Come to me as you are, bring to me what you have. However little, I will use it."

by ceteratolle posted Aug 02, 2017
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20170802_WOR.jpg

An interview with young missionary from Japan

By Cl. Chihiro Morito, SDB

Wau, South Sudan, 1 August 2017 --

Can you share about the Moshi (Tanzania) international postnovitiate experience? How these last 3 years shaped your Salesian vocation?

It can be said for sure that a three-year program for post-noviciate in Moshi community enabled me to raise the bar and beef up various areas as a Salesian in terms of human, intellectual, spiritual and pastoral areas.

The Moshi community was made up of over 60 confreres, which called for a great fraternal care and cooperation with them in our day-to-day lives.

However, the things were not as easy as I had thought; one day I felt over the moon and was as happy as a dog with two tails when I received a good result in academic study, another day I was down in the mouth and devastated and heartbroken over the same issue. I sometimes hit the ceiling over misbehaviours of my confreres who got drunk, or felt glum when I saw them reluctant to get involved in the problems of other people.

I appreciate all these experiences I had in the Moshi community because they contributed to be a good handkerchief for the Rector in his pocket and to form a stable sense of being peaceful and optimistic in any environment.

Jesus did not demand of me things I did not have. He said, ‘’Come to me as you are, however poor and ill-equipped, bring to me what you have. However little, I will use it.‘’

I would like to express my deepest gratitude to my formators and confessors who were always with me and corrected when I did wrong.

I also would like to dedicate my special thanks to my confreres with whom I shared everything and exchanged fraternal love and care.

One of your same novitiate batch friend Cl. Abuto from Kenya applied for the missio ad gentes and is being send this year by the Rector Major to the Japan province. How do you feel about it?

I was thrilled at the news. Abuto is a man of faith and courage. He is a person who walks with eyes fixed on the heavens, while he is a person who has his eyes fixed on the earth and who studies the ways of humanity in the light of faith.

Christianity is not contagious at all in Japan. He may encounter many people who are subject to money, profit, career, pleasure and power, and may realize how these can easily creep into their hearts and lead to abusing others.

I would like him to be compassionate towards them too, sharing sufferings of our brothers and sisters, and overcoming what could separate the totality and mystery of human beings.

In my opinion, the Japanese need Christ more than ever: his merciful love. Many people feel empty void around and within themselves, whereas others live in insecurity, uncertainty and conflict. The gap between the rich and the poor is growing, and more than 20,000 people commit suicide every year.

If Abuto is willing to place himself in the Lord’s hands, he will be enough to bring more love, peace and joy in the hearts of the people, especially the little ones.

During the family visit time before your practical training you pray daily rosary with your mother and visit various Salesian houses of Japan. Any message to the SYM (Salesian Youth Movement) members of Japan? Any message to the Salesian aspirants or young confreres of your homeland?

I admire the SYM members of Japan and the Salesian aspirants and young confreres. When I was a student in Japan, I never gave a thought to being a religious or devoting my life to the needy. My mind was possessed by success and getting ahead in my life. However, they have already sensed the great mystery of Christian vocation which was totally unfamiliar to me.

Being a missionary, I have realised that there are things we cannot understand by mere intellect and common sense. Only faith can enlighten us. Only love can be the answer.

It is my wish that we, through the intercession of Mary and Don Bosco, are getting closer and closer to Christ among the needy in our daily lives, sharing their joys, sorrows and pains, shedding tears and travelling this earthly life together.

I appreciate for giving me this opportunity. After my family visit in Japan this time I’m convinced again that I am not called to be on a mountaintop, but to be with the young, to be the poverty of Christ, to be the simplicity of Christ and to be the obedience of Christ. Please continue supporting my vocation.

NB - Cl. Chihiro just started his practical training with malaria and typhoid baptism in Wau, South Sudan.

Related articles:

20170802_WOR1.jpg

20170802_WOR2.jpg