NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 963 Comment 0
ALA_5263

20191130_VIE.jpg

Interview with Salesian missionary volunteer - Vietnam

By Ms. Mai Ni
Heart in Hand Volunteer

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 30 November 2019 -- Another Vietnamese "Heart in Hand" Volunteer reflects on her experience.

How was your volunteer experience?

In my opinion, we should not set goals before the volunteer experience during summer. Honestly, I have never had the opportunity to serve for such a long time and in such a remote place. Before I left, I thought a lot, and also asked myself how I would help and can I do it? But when I arrived at the volunteer place, all the questions gradually disappeared in my mind. It does not like what I thought. To be honest, if we set a big goal, we might be depressed and very disappointed. Because we are not sure everything will happen as our own thinking. Of course, it is not possible to impose everything according to ourself even when volunteering as well as in life.

Then I learnt also to laugh a lot! I really can't imagine how powerful the smile will be. It helps us alleviate the pain of difficulties, pressures ahead, overcome the distance of the so-called ethnicity. Besides, it also unites the friendship between people around, creating motivation for our daily lives.

Last but not least, do not forget to attend Mass (if any), pray the Rosary daily or simply pray! It is like a guide to help us determine whether we are on the right track or not? Every time you feel empty or out of place, this is the most effective way to ease negative emotions! Through this, we understand ourselves better, we will be closer to God, and the Holy Spirit will come down on us, accompany and support us in our work and daily life.

What was one of the greatest joys of the experience?

That's when I get to work and meet the locals there. Because at such times, I have the opportunity to give my "smile", and at the same time I also receive the same response - "smile". I have the chance to talk with them to understand life there, simple thoughts and wishes but hard to come true. I also have the occasion to tell my Lord to them. And that is my greatest motivation for me to continue and look forward to meeting everyone every day. Do you know? Most people I have contacted who have the opportunity to study and work in the Don Bosco community so that they know the most about Don Bosco and most of them do not know the Lord? Whenever they mention God, they only imagine that God is in the church, God is not here. But if you give a souvenir or item with a picture of Don Bosco, immediately shout with a happy face – “Don Bosco's picture! So beautiful!” The feeling at that time you will be very happy! And happier if you introduce your close friend Jesus to them, they are willing to listen to you tell it.

What was the one of the main challenges of the experience?

That is how it is possible to get along with people at work and life at volunteer time. It is really not easy to live in harmony from the beginning when we are not in the same culture, religion, language or ethnicity. For the first time, I was quite shocked and felt lost at work. However, I always try to open my heart more to be able to gradually adjust to the new environment and new people. And in order to do this, I have spent quite a bit of time even wanting to give up halfway. But at times like that, I receive a certain source of invisible power that penetrates my own soul. And I understand that Jesus always accompanies and motivates me to overcome the obstacles ahead.

What did you learned from your volunteer experience?

The volunteer place is Sihanouk city -Cambodia, so I had the opportunity to learn new things such as receive new knowledge about the culture and life of children, pupils, and students as well as the local people here. Above all, the way to leart how we have the simple life but full of love lifestyle of the children. It helped me to know myself, the way I live, the way I treat and love with my family, my brothers and sisters around in a society full of technology.

How has the experience impacted your life journey?

Through volunteering, I feel that I am part of a community, a part of today's young world. Thanks to that I have somewhat changed myself. I feel happy and energized as I contribute my abilities to others. I have the opportunity to reflect on myself, to change myself and gradually improve myself. Cherish what I have - time, money, value, health and happiness, especially my family and loved ones around me.

What does Don Bosco mean to you after this experience?

Through the trip, I felt Don Bosco is my home, it was this place that allowed me to understand the meaning of two family words, to open my heart and learn how to live generously with my brothers and sisters around me. I also received a message from “Don Bosco”. That is the spirit of love and life for young people, especially the poor and abandoned children. Therefore, we realize that our mission does not only stop at being good and living rightly but also contributing to "bringing love to go further" through living and working with poor and abandoned children in our own countries and other countries as well.

20191130_VIE1.jpg

20191130_VIE2.jpg

20191130_VIE3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5348(III)_Young people dream about the Salesians: Vietnam

ALA_5348 Interview with a young observer in the General Chapter 28: John Nguyen By John Nguyen Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 1 April 2020 What is your dream for Salesian (SDB) formation? I believe that the SDB formation will bring a general pro...
    Date2020.04.01 CategoryVIE Reply3 Views1600 file
    Read More
  2. 5341(III)_A total dedication to the Salesian charism and mission

ALA_5341 Homily at the funeral of Fr John Ty (1933-2020) By Fr. Joseph Nguyen Van Quang Provincial of Vietnam - Mongolia HCM City, Vietnam, 16 March 2020 -- Dear brothers and sisters: What Constitution article 54 states is also what Fr John...
    Date2020.03.19 CategoryVIE Reply1 Views467 file
    Read More
  3. 5311(III)_Encounter with Jesus in Tranquillity

ALA_5311 Annual Retreat and Congress of Aspirants of Don Bosco Vietnam By Aspirant Antony Le Van Khanh Salesian Retreat House, K’Long, Lam Dong, Vietnam 7 February 2020 -- After the Lunar Year vacation with families, at 5 p.m. on 01 Februar...
    Date2020.02.07 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1071 file
    Read More
  4. 5308(II)_Fr John Ty, a Dedicated Salesian in Love and Service for Young People

ALA_5308 Funeral of Fr John Nguyen Van Ty, Former Provincial of the Vietnam-Mongolia Province By VIE Social Communication Commission Don Bosco Xuan Hiep Church, Thu Duc, Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam, 1 February 2020 – At 8 o’clock on 01 Februar...
    Date2020.02.02 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views645 file
    Read More
  5. 5306(III)_Death of Fr John Nguyen Van Ty - former Provincial of Vietnam

ALA_5306 A Great Salesian of Vietnam in difficult times By Provincial Secretary Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 30 January 2020 -- Dear confreres, With loving memory and gratitude, the Province of Vietnam-Mongolia sorrowfully announces the Heave...
    Date2020.01.30 CategoryVIE Reply2 Views1751 file
    Read More
  6. 5298(II)_Vietnam Province's Salesian Family Day

ALA_5298 By Br. John Pham Hong Phuoc, SDB Thu Duc, Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam, 17 January 2020 -- It has been a tradition of the Vietnam Province that the province celebrates the Salesian Family Day on 23 December of the lunar year (and this...
    Date2020.01.18 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views851 file
    Read More
  7. 5280(II)_Received and Shared Joy of Christmas

ALA_5280 Christmas Fair for Poor Children at Salesian Theologate, Vietnam By Br. Pham Hong Phuoc, SDB Blessed Philip Rinaldi Theologate, Ho Chi Minh, Viet Nam, 21 December 2019 – On Saturday, 21 December 2019, the Salesians of the Blessed P...
    Date2019.12.22 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1138 file
    Read More
  8. 5270(II)_What does it mean to receive missionary volunteers?

ALA_5270 A reflection from North Vietnam By North Vietnam Delegation - Youth Ministry sector Hanoi, Vietnam, 10 December 2019 -- The North Vietnamese Delegation's Youth Ministry sector responds to questions concerning volunteers. How was th...
    Date2019.12.10 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views816 file
    Read More
  9. 5264(II)_Planning Workshop: North Vietnam Delegation

ALA_5264 Encouraged by Salesian Bishop of Thai Binh By North Vietnam Delegation Thai Binh, Diocesan Center, Vietnam, 1 December 2019 --On the morning of 25 November 2019, the North Vietnam Delegation began its 3 day workshop at Thai Binh Di...
    Date2019.12.02 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views741 file
    Read More
  10. 5263(III)_I feel that Don Bosco is my home!

ALA_5263 Interview with Salesian missionary volunteer - Vietnam By Ms. Mai Ni Heart in Hand Volunteer Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 30 November 2019 -- Another Vietnamese "Heart in Hand" Volunteer reflects on her experience. How was your volun...
    Date2019.11.30 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views963 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 38 Next
/ 38