NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
PGS
2021.07.15 22:35

5649(I)_Your mask protects me

Views 740 Comment 0

20210715_PGS2-(1).jpg

By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB

Port Moresby, PNG, 15 July 2021 -- COVID-19 has brought with it a virus that has caused worldwide destruction and death. The discovery of the vaccine and its rollout in Papua New Guinea has not been accepted in the country. As herd immunity is a long way off, the basic protocols must be practiced.

Fr Edward Revilla sdb, is a missionary priest and has spent several years in Papua New Guinea. He has been in Rabaul, Kumgi and is presently at Boroko in Port Moresby. His assignment includes ministering to Catholic faithful at the Shrine of Mary Help of Christians, Boroko. He spends time with students listening to them, counselling them, and hearing their confessions. On Saturdays he is occasionally invited to spend the afternoon listening to confessions at St Joseph’s Parish, Boroko. The entire Sunday morning is spent at the Shrine of Mary Help of Christians, Boroko. He commences his ministry at 6.30am and leaves the shrine at 12.30pm for his lunch. During this time, he is constantly in contact with people, listening to their confessions, counselling them, praying for their needs, and imparting the blessing of Mary Help of Christians on them.

​​​​​​​       As one who is in close contact with people in prayer, and the celebration of the Sacrament of Reconciliation, he feels that it is his personal responsibility to follow the COVID-19 protocols. “The wearing of the mask is important. It is very uncomfortable to wear the mask for a long time. But it is very necessary. I must protect myself and I must protect others”, he said.

​​​​​​​       “I am in the front lines and am entrusted with offering a service to our people. The penitents wear the mask when they come to meet me. I am comfortable with this arrangement”, he continued.

​​​​​​​       Fr Revilla aged 84 years has taken the first dose of the vaccine and will be taking the second dose shortly. “I believe that the vaccine is for the good of every person”, he said. He is concerned that many people do not keep to the protocols and with the virus mutating, it can be a very dangerous situation for everyone in the country.

​​​​​​​       The COVID-19 delta variant was discovered in India. It has spread around the world and is now present in around 80 countries. In the month of May, WHO stated that the delta variant is of great concern. There are other variants that influence its transmissibility, but “more studies are needed to fully understand the mutations,” said Van Kerkhove.

​​​​​​​       Papua New Guinea has been protected by God, but every citizen must do his or her part to ensure that they not only protect themselves, but also ensure that they protect their loved ones, family members and all those they meet. The Nuipela passin needs to be followed by every person in the country so that the country will not have the spike in numbers that India, Indonesia, Fiji and several other countries have experienced.

​​​​​​​       Let’s never forget, ‘Your mask protects me, my mask protects you’. Stay safe.

20210715_PGS2-(2).jpg

20210715_PGS2-(3).jpg

20210715_PGS2-(4).jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5649(II)_Be Responsible when using Social Media

By Nigel Akuani Port Moresby, PNG, 15 July 2021 -- Young people and adults have been urged to be responsible when using Social Media through the application of their common sense. This inherent truth was left by students from Caritas Techni...
    Date2021.07.15 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1268 file
    Read More
  2. 5649(I)_Your mask protects me

By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 15 July 2021 -- COVID-19 has brought with it a virus that has caused worldwide destruction and death. The discovery of the vaccine and its rollout in Papua New Guinea has not been accepted in t...
    Date2021.07.15 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views740 file
    Read More
  3. 5647(I)_43 Independence Day celebrations of Solomon Islands

By Tetere Parish member Tetere Solomon Islands, 11 July 2021 -- The Salesisn Parish Christ the King, Tetere, celebrated 43 Independence Day celebrations at DBRTC Grounds on 7th July. This is one of the first of a kind celebrations organised...
    Date2021.07.11 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2735 file
    Read More
  4. 5645_Listen, Ponder and Evangelize

Retreat for Salesians By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 6 July 2021 -- “Reflective, inspiring and evangelizing” was the joyous expression of Fr Eduardo Revilla who displayed the radiance of a heart filled with the S...
    Date2021.07.06 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1730 file
    Read More
  5. 5641_Called to something ‘beyond’

By Christopher William Lee, Volunteer Christopher (28) is a registered nurse from Florida, USA. He comes from a family of eight children whom he says are: “crazy and awesome at the same time”. Florida is hot and lined with palm ...
    Date2021.07.01 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1149 file
    Read More
  6. 5639(I)_Visions and expectations of the Mission

By Fr. Arjuna Lamapaha, SDB Salesian Priest recently ordained as priest on 7 October 2020 He hails from the vice-province of Indonesia (INA), belongs to the 151st Missionary Expedition He is sent on Mission Ad Gentes to the vice-province of...
    Date2021.06.28 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views742 file
    Read More
  7. 5636(III)_Positive impact through Media

By Lucy Napitalai Boroko, PNG, 25 June 2021 -- Students of Don Bosco Technological Institute (DBTI) joined other students with their teacher animators from Catholic schools in Port Moresby for a weekend program of Media Education Seminar (M...
    Date2021.06.25 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views587 file
    Read More
  8. 5627(I)_Project Scraper launched at DBTS, Gabutu

A Mission Solidarity Project of Don Bosco Technical School in Papua New Guinea By Rica S. Lavilla Salesian Cooperator and Mission Group Animator DB Gabutu, Port Moresby, PNG, 9 June 2021 -- Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu launched its &l...
    Date2021.06.10 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1075 file
    Read More
  9. 5626(II)_Catholic Men of Christ the King Parish Tetere come together to re-evangelise Christian communities

By Parappilly Robinson, SDB Tetere, Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, 9 June 2021 -- Christ the King Parish, Tetere, has hosted its 3rd "Papas gathering" with the theme, Papas formed, Holy and sent forth for the mission following the theme for ...
    Date2021.06.09 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views898 file
    Read More
  10. 5625(I)_PGS Celebrates Salesian Mission Day 2021 Amidst the Pandemic

By Rica S. Lavilla – Salesian Cooperator Boroko, Port Moresby, PNG: -- The 5th of June 2021 brought together representatives from the different groups of the Salesian Family of the Vice Province of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands...
    Date2021.06.08 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views663 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 54 Next
/ 54