austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20210517_PGS2-(1).jpg

By Abigail Seta

Port Moresby, PNG 17 May 2021 -- The Social Communication Commission (SOCOM) conducted 2nd Media Education Seminar with a total of 50 participants. The session dealt with writing articles and capturing pictures with an inspirational message.

Don Bosco Technological Institute and Don Bosco Technical School student representatives joined 5 other Catholic institutions - De La Salle Secondary School, Marianville Secondary School, St Charles Lwanga Secondary School, La Salle Technical College and Limana Vocational Centre for the program. Held on 8 May 2021, at the Catholic Bishops Conference (CBC), the seminar had sessions that focused on the theme ‘Hope amidst COVID-19.’

The first session began with the Anatomy of a Newspaper with an introduction to Writing News Articles by SOCOM junior officer, Ms Jessica Oata. Her session was aimed at educating the students on the different parts of a newspaper that play a vital role and why news is important.

Ms Abigail Seta, SOCOM officer, focused on the 5W’s and 1H, the basic elements needed in newswriting and on the inverted pyramid in the second session. Following the session, the students were given the opportunity to write and present their articles.

According to Fr Ambrose Pereira sdb, SOCOM Secretary, there is the need to share the positive stories that occur every day. “The sensational news makes headlines, and is often highlighting violence, destruction and death. We need to share the positive stories as we encounter people and that bring about a change of mentality in the minds of people. Our Catholic faith must find its place in our media landscape”, he said.

The third session then dwelt on photography where Fr Ambrose focused on capturing images that told a story of issues in the country and that also inspired a message of hope. The session also was based on camera basics, camera controls and lighting and composition.

Apart from the three sessions, the seminar was animated with prayer moments, games, dances, song, short activities, quizzes and presentations. “I liked the activities that we did and it was wonderful to work with different people learning new things at the seminar”, said Abigail Uia Kaisi, Marianville Secondary School, Bomana.

The student representatives were from 7 catholic institutions which consisted of Don Bosco Technological Institute, De La Salle Secondary School, Marianville Secondary School, Don Bosco Technical School, St Charles Lwanga Secondary School, La Salle Technical College and Limana Vocational Centre.

Comments from the participants:

- ‘I love the seminar as it educates us young people of Papua New Guinea to use the media a as platform to share good and positive messages that will be to the benefit of other’ – Theresa So-on, Participant, Marianville Secondary School, Bomana

- ‘The sessions were short yet effective. The deadlines set give us consistency and the ability to focus on the task ahead’. – Leo Paraha, Media animator, Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu.

- ‘Inserting positive messages through the media inspires our participants to live good lives’ – Murray Misha, Media animator, Lasalle Technical Institute, Hohola.

20210517_PGS2-(2).jpg

20210517_PGS2-(3).jpg

20210517_PGS2-(4).jpg

20210517_PGS2-(5).jpg

20210517_PGS2-(6).jpg

20210517_PGS2-(7).jpg

20210517_PGS2-(8).jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5622(IV)_PNG: Retreat for Priests

By Isabella Saleu Port Moresby, PNG, 2 June 2021 -- Parish priests of the Archdiocese of Port Moresby had a week-long retreat at the Emmaus Conference Centre in East Boroko, Port Moresby. The retreat began on 24 May and concluded on the 28t...
    Date2021.06.02 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views603 file
    Read More
  2. 5619(II)_Students celebrate Marian Day the Bosconian Way

By Israel Erari Don Bosco Araimiri, Gulf Province, PNG 27 May 2021 -- ‘I do believe that Mary the Mother of God is the Help of Christians.’ This was the sentiment shared by the students of Don Bosco, Araimiri, in Gulf Province, ...
    Date2021.05.27 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views891 file
    Read More
  3. 5618(I)_Under the mantle of Mary Help of Christians

By Br. Reto Wanner SDB, Spiritual animator of ADMA Mary Help of Christians Parish Sabama Photographs: Fr Ambrose Pereira, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 25 May 2021 -- This year’s celebration of the Solemnity of Mary Help of Christians on May...
    Date2021.05.26 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1058 file
    Read More
  4. 5613(I)_The start of a new beginning!

An angel among angels (Don Bosco Simbu) By Isabella Saleu Port Moresby PNG, 18 May 2021 -- We had moved back from Vanimo due to my father’s job transfer in 2013 whilst I was in grade 10. When we arrived in Port Moresby, I couldn&rsquo...
    Date2021.05.19 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1151 file
    Read More
  5. 5612(VI)_Don Bosco Media representatives focus on print media

By Abigail Seta Port Moresby, PNG 17 May 2021 -- The Social Communication Commission (SOCOM) conducted 2nd Media Education Seminar with a total of 50 participants. The session dealt with writing articles and capturing pictures with an inspi...
    Date2021.05.17 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views498 file
    Read More
  6. 5612(IV)_Papua New Guinea: CBC observes World Communication Day and International Families Day

By Nigel Akuani Port Moresby, PNG, 15 May 2021 -- In commemoration of World Communication Day (WCD) and International Families Day (IFD), the Catholic Bishops Conference of PNGSI hosted a detailed two-hour panel discussion that highlighted ...
    Date2021.05.17 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views455 file
    Read More
  7. 5611(IV)_PNG-Aramimiri: Renewal of Vows on Feast of St Dominic Savio

By Willie Kessi Jnr Writers & Photographic Club Araimiri Secondary School, GULF, PNG DB Araimiri, Gulf Province PNG, 12 May 2021 -- Don Bosco Araimiri Secondary School on Thursday 6 May 2021 celebrated the feast of Saint Dominic Savio. ...
    Date2021.05.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views952 file
    Read More
  8. 5611(III)_Caritas students encouraged by Don Bosco’s Preventive System

By Jessica Oata Kimbe, West New Britain, PNG 12 May 2021 -- The Caritas Technical Secondary School students in Kimbe, West New Britain Province were delighted with the informative presentation on the Preventive System of Don Bosco by Fr Amb...
    Date2021.05.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views557 file
    Read More
  9. 5610(I)_Seek the Truth and Change Lives

By Nigel Akuani Port Moresby, PNG 10 May 2021 -- Never stop seeking the truth because knowing the truth changes our lives and nothing can replace things experienced first-hand. This was the message of the first Media Education Seminar held ...
    Date2021.05.11 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views3841 file
    Read More
  10. 5608(I)_Solomon Islands: Feast of Dominic Savio and Renewal of profession of Cl. Anthony Wale SDB

By Fr Robinson Parrapilly DB Rural Training Centre, Solomon Islands, 9 May 2021 -- DBRTC celebrated the feast of Dominic Savio on 6 May. The celebrations began with Solemn Eucharistic celebrations presided over by Fr Robinson Parappilly and...
    Date2021.05.09 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views745 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 54 Next
/ 54