?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 33373 Comment 0

20210222_PGS-(1).jpg

By Cl. Philip Neri Tsutsumi Ryosaku

Port Moresby, PNG, 22 February 21 -- In the three weeks of Cultural Orientation Course (COC) at the Melanesian Institute (MI), we studied the Melanesian culture. I would like to reflect about what struck me the most.

In the beginning of the COC, Fr. Joel Bernardo CM presented two significant and symmetrical sentences which were said by the first missionaries in Melanesia. “Come to the light” and “We see land”. After that Fr. Joel asked us “Which attitude do you take as a missionary?” The attitude of “Come to the light” is like a missionary bringing Jesus, things, technology, development to this land. On the other hand, the attitude of “We see land” is we encounter Jesus in this land among the people.

Most of the missionaries especially from Christian countries or developed countries are tempted to take the former attitude, “Come to the light” but what we have to remember is we came into this land to see Jesus among the people and there are no superior or inferior between cultures. Basically, MI never gave us the answer, but this is the only answer which they gave us. We, missionaries have to remove our sandals before this sacred place.

During the COC, the speakers emphasized many times that all customs, actions, behaviour, words, attitudes have meanings. I remember one significant topic “gutpela sindaun” very well because it was tied to my personal experiences. “Gutpela sindaun” means good life, lived out to the full, life in abundance. This word and “Community” “Relationship” “Exchange” are key words to understanding the values of Melanesian people. First, good life for the Melanesian people is achieved through life in “community”. Then, it is important to have a “Relationship” to belong to and stay in community. Furthermore, people “exchange” words, things, emotions and time to establish, strengthen and maintain relationships with other people, nature, spirit and ancestors in their communities. Therefore, Melanesian people can’t achieve ‘gutpela sindaun’ without following this process.

When I came to PNG in 2018, I went around Port Moresby for my orientation. I saw many people were sitting and selling fish in the Koki market. I thought these sellers were wasting time just sitting in the market because if they want to earn money efficiently, they should walk around or make big voice to attract people to sell fish. But it was my misunderstanding. Now I can understand why people spend time like that. Through sitting down and having conversation with other sellers, they exchange words and time to maintain a relationship in their community. People are coming to the market not to only earn money but also to be in the community and “gutpela sindaun”. Even if it looks like a waste of time for foreigners, it has important meaning for the people. We need to keep questioning ‘why do people behave like this?’ and seek reasons behind their actions.

The main speakers (Br. Martin and Fr. Joel) also were learning from the discussions, sharing and questions from participants. Lastly, I would like to take this opportunity to thank the PGS Vice Provincial and his council for sending me to attend this course. I would like also to make use of this experience on my missionary vocation journey.

20210222_PGS-(2).jpg

20210222_PGS-(3).jpg

20210222_PGS-(4).jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5586(I)_Set out into the deep

Archbishop Francesco Panfilo sdb reflects on his years in Papua New Guinea A transcript of his Good Night to the Salesian Family on 24 February 2021 at Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea. He departed Port Moresby on 28th February 2021. In 1984 ...
    Date2021.03.21 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views665 file
    Read More
  2. 5585(I)_PNG: Life Matters

A Program for young people By Jessica Oata Boroko, Port Moresby, PNG, 17 March 2021 -- Young people form schools, colleges and youth groups attended the Life Matters Program, held at the Archdiocesan Shrine of Mary Help of Christians, Borok...
    Date2021.03.18 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1251 file
    Read More
  3. 5582(I)_Araimiri - Another step towards quality grassroot education in the villages

By Fr. Joseph Thanh, SDB Herehere, Araimiri, Gulf Province PNG, 11 March 2021 -- On 8 March 2021, Father Gregory Bicomong, sdb, the provincial superior of the Blessed Philip Rinaldi PGS vice-Province, officially inaugurated the three brand ...
    Date2021.03.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1456 file
    Read More
  4. 5581(IV)_PNG: Servant Leaders Arise

DBTI LEADERSHIP CAMP 2021 By Tietze Weoh Photo Credits: Palep Bigiglen Port Moresby, DBTI Boroko, Papua New Guinea, 10 March 2021 -- The Don Bosco Technological Institute Leadership Camp 2021 was held on 5 and 6 March 2021 with the theme: &...
    Date2021.03.10 CategoryPGS Reply1 Views8668 file
    Read More
  5. 5574(II)_Reflection on Melanesian Course

By Cl. Philip Neri Tsutsumi Ryosaku Port Moresby, PNG, 22 February 21 -- In the three weeks of Cultural Orientation Course (COC) at the Melanesian Institute (MI), we studied the Melanesian culture. I would like to reflect about what struck ...
    Date2021.02.22 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views33373 file
    Read More
  6. 5573(II)_PNG: Pastoral Year launched at MHOC Rapolo Parish

By Dephney Pukai Rabaul, New Britain, PNG, 20 February 2021 -- The 2021 Pastoral Year for the Mary Help of Christians Parish, Rapolo was officially launched on Saturday 6th, February with a day of formation and prayer. Participants in the f...
    Date2021.02.20 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1056 file
    Read More
  7. 5571(II)_PNG: Laudato Si, Resource Manual

For the animation of parishes, schools and youth groups By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 18 February 2021 -- Papua New Guinea is blessed with the wonder and beauty of nature. We delight in watching the unique ‘bird of pa...
    Date2021.02.18 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views898 file
    Read More
  8. 5571(I)_PNG: "Give and it shall be given to you"

By Ms. Joan Eko Don Bosco Technical School Gabutu, Port Moresby PNG, 18 February 2021 -- Held on Wednesday, 17 February, the theme of the celebration was “Give and it shall be given back to you” Luke 6:38. Archbishop Francesco P...
    Date2021.02.18 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1116 file
    Read More
  9. 5569(VI)_An experience of prayer and formation

By Anne Dobbin (ADMA Aspirant) Gabutu (PM) PNG, 16 February 2021 -- In preparation for the feast of St. John Bosco, parishioners, the staff of Don Bosco Technical School (DBTS) and their families gathered for a time of spiritual journey thr...
    Date2021.02.16 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views932 file
    Read More
  10. 5564(IV)_Kerema Undergoes COVID-19 Awareness

By Nigel Akuani Port Moresby, PNG, 5 February 2021 -- Selected Catholic Mission schools and parishes surrounding Kerema Town in the Gulf Province have undergone an assessment and awareness program to determine the level of literacy in regar...
    Date2021.02.05 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2505 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 54 Next
/ 54