?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5419

20200713_PGS3.jpg

By Cl. Conrad Vamilat, SDB

PGS, 13 July 2020 -- As a formation option of our PGS Vice-province, after our first profession we were sent to Canlubang, Philippines for our two years of postnovitiate formation. Certainly, our philosophical studies have helped us in many ways: to think critically regarding the situations and events that we encounter and be able to enter into critical dialogue with the young, besides laying the foundation for our future theological studies.

Our pastoral experiences prepared us to be pastors-educators of the young particularly through our weekend apostolate in different youth centres that is directly under the post-novitiate community; the teaching of catechism in public schools once a week; as well as our lunch assistance to the students of Don Bosco College. These were experiences which prepared us for our practical training and in the practice of the Preventive System.

As a Papua New Guinean I have learnt how to approach young Filipinos who ‘always look for visible signs’. I mean, they will forget what we taught but they will always remember our credible witness outside the classroom. As a postnovice I learnt that Generation Z, who are now our students, is the most creative tech-savvy, confident, with a strong work ethic. This generation of Filipino youth challenged me to learn and meet their standards. But they also prepared me to meet the young people of Papua New Guinea who, similarly, look up to people who consistently put into practice what they preach.

I concluded my postnovitiate formation on the year we remember the arrival of Salesian missionaries in Papua New Guinea 40 years ago and in the Solomon Islands 25 years ago. Living with Salesians from four countries, in an environment and culture different from my own where the Salesian charism is deeply rooted, made me gratefully aware that the charism of Don Bosco is slowly taking root in Melanesia. I am ever grateful of being part of the first Melanesian Salesians pilgrimage to the Salesian Holy places organised by our Vice-Province last year. To have a personal experience of the Salesian holy places which formed our charism is a unique privilege. At the same it made us realise that inculturating Don Bosco’s charism will be a slow process that needs patience and courage. An important part of this is for us Melanesian Salesians to appreciate our rich cultural values as well as to have the courage to say ‘no’ to some of Melanesian cultural practices that are contrary to our consecrated life and our being concrete signs of God’s love for the young.

Now that I am back in my own country for practical training, I look back with gratitude to the formation I have received at the international postnovitiate. I am grateful to our Vice-Province of Bl Philip Rinaldi for continuing to invest in our formation and to the Salesian missionaries in PGS who have been very generous in giving their time and effort in forming us since our college aspirantate.

20200713_PGS301.jpg

20200713_PGS302.jpg

20200713_PGS303.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5429(I)_Seminar leaves lasting impression on students

ALA_5429 By Nigel Akuani Madang, Papua New Guinea, 24 July 2020 -- A truly high-spirited and lasting impression was experienced by the audience as the eighteen students of Divine Word University presented their audio and video short-films ...
    Date2020.07.24 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1305 file
    Read More
  2. 5428(II)_Kumgi DBSTC open second semester with recollection

ALA_5428 By Fr. Angel Savio Sanchez, SDB Kumgi, Papua New Guinea, 22 July 2020 -- The students of Don Bosco Simbu Technical College opened the Second Semester with a Recollection facilitated by the Rector who is also the Spiritual Moderato...
    Date2020.07.23 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views770 file
    Read More
  3. 5424_My ruminations on the Araimiri mission

ALA_5424 By Sr Shanty Joseph MSI Araimiri, Papua New Guinea, 19 July 2020 -- Here my thoughts move to my life journey at Araimiri. It was something to be treasured for life. The life spent mostly with pristine nature, black sandy beach, sw...
    Date2020.07.19 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views5432 file
    Read More
  4. 5421(I)_Young Papua New Guinean reflects on 14 days quarantine

ALA_5421 By Cl. Conrad Vamilat, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 14 July 2020 -- Since the coronavirus pandemic caused the lockdown from March until the new normal in the Philippines we only stayed in the campus and only assigned brothers were going...
    Date2020.07.15 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1713 file
    Read More
  5. 5419(V)_Reflections on my International Postnovitiate Experience

ALA_5419 By Cl. Conrad Vamilat, SDB PGS, 13 July 2020 -- As a formation option of our PGS Vice-province, after our first profession we were sent to Canlubang, Philippines for our two years of postnovitiate formation. Certainly, our philoso...
    Date2020.07.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views654 file
    Read More
  6. 5419(IV)_How does your community celebrate 11th of each month?

ALA_5419 By Fr. Pedro Sachitula PGS missionary animation PGS, 13 July 2020 -- During the last few decades the 11th of the month has become a symbol of missionary animation day. Since 2009 the 11th of the month has become a special occasion...
    Date2020.07.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views390 file
    Read More
  7. 5419(III)_Special Annual Retreat amidst lockdown

ALA_5419 By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, 12 July 2020 -- Amidst the corona virus pandemic, confreres of the Salesian Vice-Province of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands gathered for their annual retreat at the...
    Date2020.07.13 CategoryPGS Reply1 Views751 file
    Read More
  8. 5418(I)_DB Simbu Technical College: end of first Semester

ALA_5418 By Fr. Angel Sanchez, SDB Kumgi, Papua New Guinea,10 July 2020 -- The Educative Pastoral Community of Don Bosco Simbu Technical College wrapped up the First Semester of the School Year with a Thanksgiving Mass. A group of students...
    Date2020.07.11 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views676 file
    Read More
  9. 5411(III)_Media Students produce 18 short films

ALA_5411 By Abigail Seta Port Moresby, Papua new Guinea, 30 June 2020 -- Highlighting the COVID-19 precautionary measures and the environment, Catholic students of the 3rd Media Education Seminar have produced eighteen short films. A spec...
    Date2020.06.30 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views421 file
    Read More
  10. 5411(II)_First Religious profession amidst the pandemic (CoVID-19) of five FIS and two PGS Novices

ALA_5411 By Cl. Thomas Warwara, SDB DBFC, Lawaan, Talisay City, Cebu, the Phlippines, 24 June 2020 -- On Wednesday the 24th of June 2020, the solemnity of Saint John the Baptist, the Society of St Francis de Sales welcomed into the Congreg...
    Date2020.06.30 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views576 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 54 Next
/ 54