austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20190124_PGS.jpg

‘I am the servant of the Lord. May it be done unto me according to your word’ (Lk 1:38)

By Fr Ambrose Pereira, SDB

San Antonio Parish, Panama City, 23 January 2019 -- The experience of being welcomed by simple, warm and friendly people with a readiness to be of help at all times has been the hallmark of my stay thus far. Panama has been dressed up for the occasion with banners and flags and above all a radiating spirit of joy and happiness.

San Antonio parish hosts over 700 pilgrims. Coordinating transport and pickup and catering to different needs in several languages has been done by a team of dedicated volunteers young and old. I was warmly welcomed by Luis Luis Antonio Vega, a short distance from the parish. He spoke Spanish and I spoke English and despite the barrier of language we made ourselves understood. Always keen to be a assistance, I enjoyed visiting the Omar Park and a visit to the Panama Canal, Miraflores locks – a unique system that has been in operation for over a century.

Young people from all over the world have come with a lot of energy as pilgrims to experience the Lord under the motherly mantle of Mary, who comes with the message of service: ‘I am the servant of the Lord. May it be done unto me according to your word’ (Lk 1:38). Her ‘Yes’ has changed the course of history. Our young people are ready to do the same.

The Vocations Fair at the Omar Park is an opportunity for young people to deepen their vocational discernment through workshops, stands, moments of prayer, games and vocational spiritual direction. Entitled, ‘Follow Me’ it is the joyful proclamation to a specific vocation that we are called by God for a lifelong project: matrimony, religious life, the priesthood or being committed laity.

Amidst the many stalls was the one of the Salesian Family where I met young seminarians, Salesians and sisters who also pass on their regards across the miles to the many they know personally. Radio Maria was another stall and I was happy to sign my name near the logo. Inspirational music led the many young people to sing, dance and pray.

Celebrating the Sacrament of Reconciliation in booths specially prepared for the occasion by the Correctional centre unit is an experience that I will treasure. The search for faithful catholic living is evident. Despite the heat the lines for confession are long and winding. Hearing the words, ‘I absolve you from your sins’ and believing that our relationship to God is a powerful experience of joy and happiness. Young and old make their way to this Garden of Peace entitled: Rejuvenation.

José Domingo Ulloa Mendieta, OSA was the main celebrant at the Opening Mass of World Youth Day 2019. It was held at the Campo Cinta Costera, Santa Maria la Antigua on the 22nd January. Hundreds of bishops, priests and several thousands of young people gathered from all over the city to celebrate the event. The archbishop thanked the pilgrims and the people for this celebration of faith. “As pilgrims, we come to share the personal and living encounter with the Lord, united with young people from all over the world who add richness of culture, tradition and experience. We celebrate the glory of God as we confess one faith in many languages, to glorify God with prayer, love, forgiveness and in communion with all”, he said.

Walking long distances, traffic jams, travelling in buses and trains and seeking help from so many kind and generous souls, has been my experience. Meeting Fr Lionel Braganza and other Salesians from Kuwait and different countries of Africa has been an encounter. My sincere thanks to Gloria O’Reilly and Alan Lopez who assisted me along the way and made sure I reach home safely.

20190124_PGS1.jpg

20190124_PGS2.jpg

20190124_PGS3.jpg

20190124_PGS4.jpg

20190124_PGS5.jpg

20190124_PGS6.jpg

20190124_PGS7.jpg

20190124_PGS8.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5025_Concerned about the quality of confreres

Bro. Jean Paul Muller visits PNG for the EAO Provincial Economers’ Meeting By Fr Ambrose Pereira, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 1 March, 2019 -- “Be definite about your choice of vocation”, Br Muller said as he spoke to the aspirants and the Sales...
    Date2019.03.03 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1304 file
    Read More
  2. 5024(II)_President of Federation of Religious of PNG and Solomon Islands

Fr Alfred Maravilla, SDB elected By PGS Viceprovince Secretary's Offic Madang, Papua New Guinea, 2 March 2019 -- At the conclusion of the annual meeting of the Federation of Religious (FOR) in Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands, Fr Alfred...
    Date2019.03.02 CategoryPGS Reply1 Views1703 file
    Read More
  3. 4996(I)_Communion through communication

For the AustraLasia 5000 By Fr. Alfred Maravilla, SDB PGS, 31 January 2019 -- When austraLasia was first launched after the social communications delegates’ meeting at Batulao many years ago, I considered it an interesting initiative but I ...
    Date2019.01.31 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1070 file
    Read More
  4. 4988(II)_WYD2019 Panama - a celebration of joy and happiness

‘I am the servant of the Lord. May it be done unto me according to your word’ (Lk 1:38) By Fr Ambrose Pereira, SDB San Antonio Parish, Panama City, 23 January 2019 -- The experience of being welcomed by simple, warm and friendly people with...
    Date2019.01.24 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views880 file
    Read More
  5. 4983_The PGS Vice Province welcomes 2 Salesian Lay Missioners

By Stephen Stafstrom and Matthew Nguyen Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, 18 January 2019 -- The Salesian Lay Missioners of the New Rochelle Province (SUE) had sent missionaries to PNG from way back in 1993 until 2005. Since last year the new...
    Date2019.01.18 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1007 file
    Read More
  6. 4968_Presentation of Strenna 2019 in PGS

By Br. Jorge Castro Chorro, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 31 December 2018 -- On 31 December after the evening Mass, members of the Salesian Family (FMA, Caritas Sisters of Jesus, SDB) who were in Port Moresby gathered at the Provincial House for ...
    Date2019.01.02 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1035 file
    Read More
  7. 4966(I)_“The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light”

Reflection - Celebrate Christmas with the refuges By Fr Ambrose Pereira, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 25 December 2018 -- “God sent his Son, born of a woman, … so that we might receive adoption as sons” (Gal 4:4). Christmas is here again with its...
    Date2018.12.31 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views4076 file
    Read More
  8. 4947_"The Salesian work ethics have formed me as an educator"

A teacher of DBTS Gabutu (PGS) receives the International Contribution Award By Peter Suka Ririma Port Moresby, PNG, 13 December 2018 -- I started teaching at Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu (PNG) in 2009. It was through DBTS Gabutu that...
    Date2018.12.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1140 file
    Read More
  9. 4939(I)_Simbu (PNG) Bosconians graduate to empower the nation for "economic development and progress"

By Bro Bernard Kaiau, SDB Kumgi, PNG, 30 November 2018 -- Four hundred and forty seven Bosconians marched with pride in their hearts accompanied by all invited guests carrying the flag of Papua New Guinea and Simbu province from the statue ...
    Date2018.12.04 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views48823 file
    Read More
  10. 4932(I)_“Loving our land, helping all men. Youth of Today, Forward March!”

Wokabaut wantaim ol yangpela By Peter Ririma Port Moresby, PNG, 23 November 2018 -- Don Bosco Technical School (DBTS) in Gabutu had its 21st Speech Day with the theme: “Wokabaut Wantaim Ol Yangpela.” It was the Graduation Day for 83 Grade 1...
    Date2018.11.28 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views4435 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 54 Next
/ 54