PGS

4563(II)_Discerning if the initial attraction to the Salesian life is indeed God’s call

by ceteratolle posted Nov 25, 2017
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

2011125_PGS.jpg

By Asp. Palep Begiglen

Port Moresby, PNG, 22 November 2017 -- We, the 16 college aspirants of PGS Vice-Province, had our annual retreat in Emmaus Conference Centre, Port Moresby last Nov 18-22. The theme developed by our preacher was “discerning God’s will for me”. The inspiring talks of Fr. Alfred Maravilla, PGS Provincial, together with the group sharings, much time for personal prayer and daily personal dialogue with the preacher helped us aspirants to reflect on our initial attraction to the Salesian life. He gave us practical tips on how to discern if this initial attraction is indeed God’s call. He encouraged us to imitate St. Dominic Savio who was open and sincere to his spiritual guide, the ‘faithful friend of his soul’!

This retreat helped me to have new insights about myself, my positive qualities and weaknesses which made me realise the purpose of God’s call to me. I believe that the Holy Spirit was really present during our retreat. He was talking to me in ways that at first I did not understand. As a fruit of the retreat all of us aspirants were guided to draw up our personal plan of life to guide us during our aspirantate.

On a personal note, as I continue my journey of discernment as an aspirant I am resolved to ‘seize the moment’ (carpe diem) always because I cannot give what I do not have!