Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1271 Comment 1

20160806_MYM.jpg

Myitkyina Don Bosco Vocation Training Center (Kachin State, Burma – Myanmar

By Fr.Victor Khun Myat Aung, SDB

Myitkyina, Myanmar, 5 August 2016 -- Among the 77 boys and 37 girls of Don Bosco Vocation Training Center (DBVTC) in Myitkina (Kachin State – North of Myanmar) are many youngsters of 14-32 years of age with drug addiction experience. DBVTC was open 15 years ago and is developing according the needs of the local youth in need. Not only for out-of-school youth but also many young adults come here to stand up from the addiction and the number of trainees is growing every year.

For the better motivation were open some new section: apart of the traditional carpentry, electricity and motor mechanics also welding and cell phone repair. It’s amazing to know that only two cooks are full staff of the house. Each technical section is going ahead thanks to the volunteers who come from their workshop to give a practice lesson to our Bosconians.

Since the youthful energies need a lot of space, on the 43 acres land our youth exercise their agricultural skills, look for 20 pigs, play football and have chance in traditional martial arts. All three Salesians (two priest and one extraordinary practical trainee assist our boys 24/24 hrs) and the Missionary Sisters of St. Paul look for the 37 girls. Majority of our youth are Catholics and daily Mass and evening prayers with the Rosary is a good chance to exercise in English, Burmese as well in Kachin language.

Two of our youth, heading from traditional Catholic families and being active in their local villages, Joseph (20) and Steven (22 years) are happy to share their experience of being born again after a long nightmare with drug addiction. Both youngsters spent already 6-9 month in the Protestant rehabilitation center and now are for one year Bosconians. One was a youth leader in own village and other became a catechist after the rehabilitation center experience.

(NB - first photo both youth together with Fr. Victor, smiling)

How did you start taking the drugs?

During a secondary school, I have starting with the tablets. Friends invited me: Let’s try with black opium. After a first inhalation followed later a white opium inhalation and I ended with a habit of injection. First time there was no feeling, when I tried for the fourth time, the ‘real feeling’ in blood injection. I was 16 years old! Yes, all relatives used drug when I was young but I did not see it. When I started at the end injecting white opium, it was a very good feeling and I didn’t’ get rid of that feeling. Every time for 10.000 kyats (=10 USD).

How did you see now your 6-9 months experience of the rehabilitation center?

My parents and relatives were eager to rescue me from the drug dependence and brought me handcuffed to the rehabilitation center. After first months of resentment I realized the need to stand up, but the environment around me after ending the rehab period didn’t help me to recover completely in front of the daily temptation. During the time in rehabilitation centers I learn to love the Bible, due to daily 6 hours study and sharing with the protestant pastors! However I was also scared due to the strict regulations of community life, where the ordinary punishment was the feet and handcuffing for one whole weak! But slowly I realized the futility of drugs and need to improve and start a new life.

How to prevent the drug addiction?

I would tell other youngster, if you start, you need the money for the rest of your life… enough budget, since it’s difficult to control! I would tell them – don’t’ believe your friends about good feeling of opium, it passes fast. I felt that I was discriminated, other looking down at me. I would tell: avoid this handicap among your friends!

What is your life dream?

After get rid out of drugs, I would like to pursue a decent job later on. Now learning the cell phone repair, I dream to open a small shop. With my conviction I would like also to serve other needed people around me.

How do you like your one year stay in Don Bosco?

I’m convinced to change my life here and build it better. Don Bosco VTC can change my life. I liked most the faith education, catechesis. I like Salesians who used to remind us ‘you have to do all with conviction, and growth your duties as well as you can’.

Also the Myitkyina bishop Francis Daw Tang is looking at the Salesians for help in the recently opened diocesan ‘Rebirth Rehabilitation Center’ (photo)for the drug addict young Catholics. Indeed in the most peace-fragile State of Myanmar also many people fall easily victims of drug addiction (red, black or white opium) and unfortunately this State is also a home for majority of Myanmar Catholic population. We are looking forwards for some experienced Salesian in the de-addiction ministry!

20160806_MYM1.jpg

20160806_MYM2.jpg

20160806_MYM3.jpg

20160806_MYM4.jpg

20160806_MYM5.jpg

20160806_MYM6.jpg

20160806_MYM7.jpg

20160806_MYM8.jpg

20160806_MYM9.jpg

20160806_MYM10.jpg

20160806_MYM11.jpg

20160806_MYM12.jpg

20160806_MYM13.jpg

20160806_MYM14.jpg

20160806_MYM15.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • vaclav 2016.08.18 12:19

ANS news - interview published

(ANS – Myitkyina) – Don Bosco Vocation Training Center (DBVTC) in Myitkina (Kachin State – North of Myanmar) was open 15 years ago and is developing according the needs of the local youth in need. Among the 77 boys and 37 girls of DBVTC in Myitkina are many youngsters of 14-32 years of age with drug addiction experience. One of them, heading from traditional Catholic familiy and being active in his local villages, is happy to share his experience of being born again after a long nightmare with drug addiction.

By Fr. Victor Khun Myat Aung, SDB

How did you start taking the drugs?

During a secondary school, I have starting with the tablets. Friends invited me: Let’s try with black opium. After a first inhalation followed later a white opium inhalation and I ended with a habit of injection. (…) I was 16 years old!

How did you see now your 6-9 months experience in the Protestant rehabilitation center?

My parents and relatives were eager to rescue me from the drug dependence and brought me handcuffed to the rehabilitation center. After first months of resentment I realized the need to stand up, but the environment around me after ending the rehab period didn’t help me to recover completely in front of the daily temptation. During the time in rehabilitation centers I learn to love the Bible, due to daily 6 hours study and sharing with the protestant pastors! However I was also scared due to the strict regulations of community life, where the ordinary punishment was the feet and handcuffing for one whole weak! But slowly I realized the futility of drugs and need to improve and start a new life.

How to prevent the drug addiction?

I would tell other youngster, if you start, you need the money for the rest of your life… enough budget, since it’s difficult to control! I would tell them – don’t believe your friends about good feeling of opium, it passes fast. I felt that I was discriminated, other looking down at me. I would tell: avoid this handicap among your friends!

What is your life dream?

After get rid out of drugs, I would like to pursue a decent job later on. Now learning the cell phone repair, I dream to open a small shop. With my conviction I would like also to serve other needed people around me.

How do you like your one year stay in Don Bosco?

I’m convinced to change my life here and build it better. DBVTC can change my life. I liked most the faith education, catechesis. I like Salesians who used to remind us ‘you have to do all with conviction, and growth your duties as well as you can’.

In the most peace-fragile State of Myanmar many people fall easily victims of drug addiction. Salesians are looking forwards for some experienced Salesian in the de-addiction ministry!