Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 677 Comment 0
ALA_5361

20200424_KOR2.jpg

By our own correspondent

Daejon, South Korea, 24 April 2020 -- After 10 years of Salesian novitiate experience in Naeri on the western seashore of South Korea, this stage of formation returned last January to the city of Daejon, where the novitiate was first opened in 1992. Today the Daejon community (Rector Fr Peter Choi kwang-seob) ,6 Salesian priests and 4 novices (Novice director Fr Felix Wee won-seok) is entrusted with one group home (Don Bosco house), Salesian Youth Center and Novitiate formation. While the whole Salesian setting is surrounded by the beautiful green of trees and hills.

The Salesian Youth Center is a large venue for Primary and Secondary school student human growth activities during the school year and for the Catholics is a weekend or summer & winter holiday venue for recollections and retreats. Being located at the center of the country, this community is also a venue for many provincial events, celebrations and gatherings. There are also two Salesian Cooperator centers attached to this SDB community and another FMA community, 'Nazareth House', in Daejon, a city of 1.5 million people and center of the Daejon diocese with 220,000 Catholics (6% of the 3.5 million population).

What makes this formation community special is the 24/7 life experience with youth in need (Don Bosco group home) and working together with one FMA community located within the Don Bosco compound. Aside from the ordinary novitiate prayers, work, sports, conferences, talks, various subjects of Salesian consecrated and apostolic life - our Korean novices have a daily opportrunity to assist our young people during recreation time.

How are our four novices (Francis, John of the Cross, Gabriel and John) growing in their Salesian vocation? What helps their growth on their vocation journey? We are grateful for their open and frank sharing:

"Since we have always lived and worked since the aspirantate with youth in need, we learn how to accompany these youngsters. Most of them have never really experienced a caring family and parents. When I received a thank-you letter from some of them, I'm energized on my vocation journey: 'Thanks to you, Brother, I'm growing daily'.

"I have experienced some difficulties on my vocation journey, when being confronted by our difficult young people. However a simple invitation from one Dae-rim-dong boy: "I hope you will soon conclude your military service and be amongst us as soon as possible" - was a decisive push to overcome my cloud of doubts whether to continue or not... Also the family spirit and trust I have received since my high school vocation gatherings by young Salesians, keeps me growing on my vocation journey."

"During my military service holiday I was able to confirm my way of meditation learnt in the aspirantate during the 8 day retreat. Another experience also during the military service, when on the 'Choice' program, when I realized, that most of my talks is about 'Salesians'. That time I recognized that I'm already a member of the Salesians. Also the Salesian family spirit felt in our prayer moments is a strong motivation on my vocation journey."

"I can recognize various experiences of when and how my vocation is growing: When I'm able to overcome a relationship with a difficult confrere in prayer; when I'm able to overcome a difficult moment in my personal life, in prayer; when I'm able, through counselling, to recognize my past hurts and face them with calm in my prayer, finally I feel that my vocation is growing through daily meditation and daily celebration of the Eucharist."

Let's be inspired by the simplicity and open sharing of our novices. Indeed the gift of vocation needs a life-long response, to grow in our daily life. Today we may say one Hail Mary for the 430 Salesian novices worldwide and especially for the 52 novices in our EAO region.

20200424_KOR201.jpg

20200424_KOR202.jpg

20200424_KOR203.jpg

20200424_KOR204.jpg

20200424_KOR205.jpg

20200424_KOR206.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5540(II)_Joint SDB-FMA musical premiered in Gwangju-Korea

ALA_5540 By our own correspondent Salesian Formation House, Gwangju - Shinan dong, Korea, 26 December 2020 -- Truly fitting in this special lockdown Christmas in many countries, the South Korea, Gwangju-based SDB and FMA formation communit...
    Date2020.12.28 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views541 file
    Read More
  2. 5508(I)_New Salesian deacon for Korea - Rev.Daniel Heo Deukjin

ALA_5508 By SC Office Seoul, South Korea 13 November 2020 -- Another EAO deaconate ordination was held in the Seoul - Korea provincial house chapel on 11 November 2020. Due to the terrible pandemic, the new deacon has been living at the fo...
    Date2020.11.13 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views600 file
    Read More
  3. 5493(II)_Will you become my friend? - Fr. John Lee publication finally in English

ALA_5493 By our own correspondent Seoul, South Korea (KOR), 26 October 2020 -- The best missionary animation is to let the missionary speak out. During this missionary month of October we may be encouraged by the consistent daily storytell...
    Date2020.10.26 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views699 file
    Read More
  4. 5489_Why do hundreds of millions like BTS (pop-song boys group)?

ALA_5489 Asia News (PIME) By Fr. Martino Ohsejeong Daejon diocese, Korea, 21 October 2020 --K-pop, Korean pop music is becoming a world-wide well known phenomenon, especially among teenagers and young adults around East Asia. However there...
    Date2020.10.21 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views673 file
    Read More
  5. 5461(II)_'Bible and Life' growing amidst the digital world in Korea

ALA_5461 Suwon Province, Caritas Sisters of Jesus, South Korea, 3 September 2020 -- Already 37 years after starting the Bible and Life Publications, the Caritas Sisters of Jesus in Korea are endeavouring to keep up this important Bible apo...
    Date2020.09.03 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views404 file
    Read More
  6. 5430(I)_Five day communication workshop for the 4 Korean novices

ALA_5430 By KOR Salesian Bulletin KOR Province Newsletter Salesian Bulletin, Seoul, July-August issue 2020 -- Twelve months in the life of each Salesian consecrated religious, brothers or future priests - the novitiate - probably makes the...
    Date2020.07.26 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views432 file
    Read More
  7. 5422(II)_Powerful homage to Korean missionary Fr. John Lee

ALA_5422 Movie: The Resurrection Seoul, South Korea, 17 July 2020 -- A second movie was released last January, focusing on on the legacy of Fr John Lee (1962-2010), Salesian Korean missionary in South Sudan (2001-2009). The documentary dir...
    Date2020.07.17 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views2030 file
    Read More
  8. 5422(I)_Seoul "Bosco Gelato" is opened

ALA_5422 By SC delegate of Korea Province Seoul, Korea, 16 July 2020 -- On 16 July 16 in Seoul, the capital of South Korea, an ice cream shop called "Bosco Gelato" has been opened. Bosco Gelato sells the highest quality organic Italian st...
    Date2020.07.17 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1145 file
    Read More
  9. 5384_Educate Like Don Bosco republished in Korea

ALA_5384 Don Bosco Media, Seoul, Korea, 23 May 2020 -- Probably the most successful Salesian bestseller (apart from Lives of Don Bosco or the Memoirs of the Oratory) - the 88 short stories written for the monthly edition of the Italian 'Sa...
    Date2020.05.23 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views585 file
    Read More
  10. 5363(IV)_Salesian Mission Office Korea - Report 2019

ALA_5363 'Nanum' means sharing By Don Bosco Nanum Salesian Mission Office, Seoul, Korea 30 April 2020 -- As is the case every year, during spring time the Don Bosco Nanum (Mission Office) in Seoul, presents a report of the past year to bene...
    Date2020.04.29 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views664 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Next
/ 21