Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 637 Comment 0

20210513_KOR-(1).jpg

By Fr. Andrea Chang
(KOR Provincial Newsletter - May 2021)

Seoul, KOR, 12 May 2021 -- After 5 years as a 'temporary missionary, 2016-2021' (agreement between two province, SDB Regulations art. 151) Fr Andrea Chang returned to his home province and was assigned to his hometown of Busan (Song-do community in the native place of late Fr John Lee). In the May edition of the Korean Provincial Newsletter Fr Chang shares his lessons and wisdom of past 5 years:

"...Looking back after 5 years of my missionary stay in Japan, honestly I share mixed feelings. Was it too long or too short? After my arrival home one senior confrere asked me: 'Your 3 years in Japan passed so fast?' - But it was not 3 years but 5 years. I spent 3 years in Tokyo, studying Japanese language (NB - but not full-time, with different breaks due to the circumstances)..."

"While studying Japanese, the first 3 years in Japan I spent in Tokyo, two years in Chofu community (formation house-oratory-parish) and one year in Meguro community (parish-oratory-kindergarten). After my Japanese language studies I started my pastoral life, but it was not an easy time to adjust to the different culture in the community and among the young people. The 'wall' of language became higher than I would image at the beginning. Although I was slowly adjusting to the language, there was a need of another extra energy to adjust to the culture in the pastoral work. Since I don't have any teacher's licence, I could not be assigned to the school, so I was sent to two different typical Japanese pastoral communities - Parish with the Kindergarten - in Meguro (Tokyo) and in Beppu (Kyushu island - South)...

..."While reflecting on the different Salesian work situation in Korea and Japan, I need to recognize that I was not able to 'enter more deeply' into this different pastoral situation due to my personal character and attitude. This is probably the main reason and difficulty, and why I finally decided to return to Korea..."

"...Although the mission in Japan province was not easy for me, I have experienced a 'province that is changing - transforming' - both in the fraternal community life as well in the effort to enter more deeply into the mission for poor young people.... If in the future another Korean confrere would like to have a good experience of Salesian life in Japan, my difficulties, success or failures may become a meaningful point of departure for him...I believe, that any confrere who has the heart and faith, would benefit from his Japan missionary experience..."

'... I am very grateful to all who sustained and accompanied me in Japan, and those who helped me with their prayers from Korea. Really I felt this wonderful support from both sides... Japan province is the closest neighbor to the Korean province, both languages are rather close to each other. If any Korean Salesian would open his heart to the Japan missionary life he would really gain a deep experience, since also in Japan there are many Salesian houses."

(Korea provincial newsletter n. 173, May 2021)

Related news articles:

20210513_KOR-(2).jpg

20210513_KOR-(3).jpg

20210513_KOR-(4).jpg

20210513_KOR-(5).jpg

20210513_KOR-(6).jpg

20210513_KOR-(7).jpg

20210513_KOR-(8).jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5853(VI)_Peace in a Digital World

SIGNIS begins its Sixth World Congress in South Korea By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Seoul, Korea, 19 August 2022 -- The World Catholic Association for Communications has launched an urgent call for peace through digital communication. The Con...
    Date2022.08.20 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views338 file
    Read More
  2. 5853(II)_Newsletter - A valuable tool for provincial community building

By our own correspondent Seoul, South Korea, 18 August 2022 -- Some Salesian provinces have a regular provincial newsletter service, usually monthly or bi-monthly, and some provinces have no provincial newsletter. Without doubt, this simple...
    Date2022.08.20 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views349 file
    Read More
  3. 5852(II)_A people of dedication, commitment and hard work

By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Seoul, South Korea, 15 August 2022 -- “Leave your bags in the front and we will have breakfast inside,” said Fr Dominic Seong sdb, Provincial Secretary of the Salesian Province of Korea as we walked i...
    Date2022.08.16 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views375 file
    Read More
  4. 5852(I)_Consistent sharing of the Word - Fr Stefano Yang in Korea

By our own correspondent Neri, South Korea, 13 August 2022 -- Since 2019, as rector of the seashore Salesian retreat house in Neri - South Korea (150 km from Seoul) Fr Stefano Yang, SDB, lives more than ever with his passion to share the Wo...
    Date2022.08.16 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views389 file
    Read More
  5. 5847(III)_VDB Korea region is growing in depth and vocations

VDB, Seoul - South Korea, 7 August 2022 -- The Volunteers of Don Bosco (VDB) secular institute, after 105 years of history is slowly putting down roots also in the Asian environment of a Catholic minority and a variety of multi-religion soc...
    Date2022.08.07 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views383 file
    Read More
  6. 5838(II)_First historic meeting of both ADMA groups in Korea

By Salesian Family Desk Seoul, Korea, 23 July 2022 -- Some of the youngest ADMA groups in the world were founded recently in South Korea, first in Gwangju (2017) and the second in Seoul (2021). Due to the pandemic restrictions the first-eve...
    Date2022.07.24 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views388 file
    Read More
  7. 5766(I)_Vocation Blessings in Korean Salesian Family 2022

Seoul, Korea, 21 January 2022 -- In the context of a fast ageing Korean society, nuclear families and fast ageing Catholic community with few young people, the years of many vocations in Korea are already over. Not only women's and men ...
    Date2022.01.22 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views716 file
    Read More
  8. 5765(VII)_Korean Salesian Brother spreading the culture of respect for life

Seoul, Provincial House, 22 January 2022 -- At present there are more than 10 Salesian confreres in the 107 SDB Korean province of the Korean Martyrs (Headquarters in Seoul) who are well trained in counselling of the young people. At the sa...
    Date2022.01.21 CategoryKOR Reply1 Views622 file
    Read More
  9. 5757(II)_Korea province shares the memory of Fr John Lee (+2010)

South Korea, 5 January 2022 -- 12 years after the premature death of the Korean Salesian missionary in South Sudan, the life story of Fr John Lee continues to inspire many in South Korea and beyond. Due to the pandemic, the 10th death anniv...
    Date2022.01.07 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views889 file
    Read More
  10. 5737(I)_Korea - ordination of 90th Salesian priest Fr Daniel Heo Deok-jin

By SDB Korea SC Seoul, South Korea, 26 November 2021 -- On 22 November 2021, Daniel Heo Deuk-jin of Korea Salesian Province (KOR), was ordained a priest by Archbishop Jeong Sun-taek, OCD, newly appointed Archbishop of Seoul. This Ordination...
    Date2021.11.26 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views584 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Next
/ 21