austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

Common-home1.jpg

By Ms Choe JunKyeong

SYM Seoul South Korea, 14 November 2022 -- Pope Francis' call for ecological conversion has inspired millions around the world, mostly the younger generations of Catholics and people from all walks of life. South Korea is no exception. This article published in the November 2022 issue of the 'Salesian Bulletin Korea' (살레시오 가족지, no. 177) as an echo of a world stage presentation during the SIGNIS World Congress (Seoul, August 15-20, 2022) by Ms. Agnes Choi, SYM member in one of the groups in Seoul. We report an abrigded version:

"Movement of Young Adults for the Common Home-Earth fosters a humanity's harmonious life"

You may ask: Is it possible to have an environmental movement in our daily life? How can we transform the 'environmental movement' into a daily life 'trend' in life? Can we use digital tools to establish some environment al 'trends'?

I am involved in the environmental movement of 'Beluca Friends' that is a member of a large Catholic Lay Movement 'FEHW' (Friends of Earth, Heaven and Water). The best thing about our group is that I'm able to find out the most fitting 'action' that widens our vision and activity. During our weekly 'environment-related action' there are limits to individual creativity. But in this movement we find a large variety of concrete proposals to live and put into practice. Here are some actions we practice as 'FEHW':

• Since July 3 (World Day without plastic) we spend at least one day without plastic bags.
  • In the nearby public park we volunteer as 'park carers'
  • Visiting the local agricultural market to help our farmers
  • We try to eliminate from food with high water footprint from our menu
  • On Earth Day (April) we try to adopt one 'pet tree'
  • Participating in a 'good energy' campaign with energy saving habits.
  • Choose one meal in the 'vegan' eatery or cafe
  • If all of these suggestions are difficult, we can at least 'eat everything' without leaving food waste.

When you start this environmental movement you discover a large variety of possible actions. If you start to care about plants or trees, you can volunteer in the public park as a 'tree carer'. If you don't like some activity, you can choose another one that is in keeping with your character or hobby. An App, 'Project 100', was developed in our 'Beluka friend' group. It helps you over the space of a 100 days to set up a 'personal target' in your environmental activity.

Nowadays 'plogging' is emerging among the young people involved in the environmental movements. You can wear sports gear for 'jogging' and at the same time dedicate your pleasant running time to collecting rubbish around the river park, making your time more meaningful. This connection between 'beauty' + 'meaning' = 'raising your self-esteem', fits the mindset or model of the future generation, creating a new culture. We are aware that the 'traditional forms' of environmental activities are necessary, however some may not feel comfortable with these. Hence 'plogging'.

Young people of our time are not giving up. Tey would like to choose a meaningful contribution for our common home - Earth. Through this effort new trend - new culture can come about. 'Friends of Beluka' like the following quote from Pope Francis 'Laudato Si' (n. 84): 'The history of our friendship with God is always linked to particular places which take on an intensely personal meaning; we all remember places, and revisiting those memories does us much good. Anyone who has grown up in the hills or used to sit by the spring to drink, or played outdoors in the neighbourhood square; going back to these places is a chance to recover something of their true selves."

Common-home2.jpg

KOR-friend-of-earth-water-sky.jpg

KOR-insta1.jpg

KOR-insta2.jpg

KOR-insta3.jpg

KOR-sym2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5980_Vocations Sunday in Korea

By KOR SC Seoul, Korea, 4 May 2023 -- On April 30, 2023, the Korean Salesian province held a Vocations Sunday event. 25 young men and 30 young women participated in the event, accompanied by 15 SDB confreres and 20 FMA sisters. The vocation...
    Date2023.05.05 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views415 file
    Read More
  2. 5955(I)_Korea: Listening to God on the way to WYD 2023 in Lisbon

Seoul, South Korea, 14 March 2023 -- Last weekend, 12 March, the SYM (Salesian Youth Movement) Korea prepared another young adults recollection in Seoul, Daerim-dong Salesian Youth Center. The SYM event was attended by 44 young people, eigh...
    Date2023.03.14 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views546 file
    Read More
  3. 5953(I)_Eight boys reborn as children of God: Baptism in Don Bosco Oratorio

By DBYC Don Bosco Youth Center, Seoul, Korea, 10 March 2023 -- On 8 March, a day when spring was in full bloom, even though in the middle of the Lenten season, a special feast took place at the Don Bosco Oratorio. Eight young people were ba...
    Date2023.03.10 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views984 file
    Read More
  4. 5942(I)_Ordination of two Salesian deacons in Seoul

By our own correspondent Seoul, Korea, 8 February 2023 -- Two Salesians deacons - Lee chang-min (Marciano) and Kim Beom-jun (Stefano) were ordained deacon on 31 January 2023 during the Eucharistic celebration in the Seoul SDB provincial hou...
    Date2023.02.08 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views363 file
    Read More
  5. 5935(I)_Korea province blessed with new Salesians and two finally professed

By SDB Soc Com Seoul, Korea, 28 January 2023 -- On the same day, 27 January 2023, the First and Final Religious Professions were celebrated in the 'Holy Korean Martyrs' Province. The whole provincial community of Korea (Provincial F...
    Date2023.01.28 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views426 file
    Read More
  6. 5913(I)_Salesians offer the Korea Catholic Community quality YM reflection

Salesian Youth Spirituality Research Center, Seoul, South Korea, 19 December 2022 -- Last week the Salesian Youth Spirituality Research Center (Seoul - South Korea) launched by the SDB province a few years ago (Director Fr Moses Yoon) with ...
    Date2022.12.19 CategoryKOR Reply2 Views367 file
    Read More
  7. 5898(I)_Canonization Pilgrimage of Salesian Brothers Time of Grace (3)

By Brother Philip Yoo, SDB Gwangju - South Korea, 22 November 2022 -- First, I would like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to attend the canonization ceremony of the glorious and graceful Brother Zatti. With a fluttering heart, I ...
    Date2022.11.22 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views341 file
    Read More
  8. 5897(I)_Symposium on 400th anniversary of St Francis de Sales in Seoul

Salesian Youth Spirituality Research Center, Seoul, Korea, 21 November 2022 -- On 5 November 2022 the province of Korea (KOR, provincial Fr. Timothy Choi) organized a well'prepared Symposium to mark the 400th anniversary of Saint Franci...
    Date2022.11.21 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views450 file
    Read More
  9. 5893(III)_SYM Korea and Korean Youth active in environmental movement

By Ms Choe JunKyeong SYM Seoul South Korea, 14 November 2022 -- Pope Francis' call for ecological conversion has inspired millions around the world, mostly the younger generations of Catholics and people from all walks of life. South Ko...
    Date2022.11.15 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views405 file
    Read More
  10. 5885(IV)_How to become a digital missionary today in Korea?

Provincial House, Seoul, Korea, 25 October 2022 -- Carefully planned and prepared by the Missions and Social Communication commissions of Korean SDB province, some 200 members of the Salesian Family enjoyed the 'Salesian Mission Day 202...
    Date2022.10.25 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1535 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Next
/ 21