austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

Valdocco-KOR-salesian-brothers.jpg

By Brother Philip Yoo, SDB

Gwangju - South Korea, 22 November 2022 -- First, I would like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to attend the canonization ceremony of the glorious and graceful Brother Zatti. With a fluttering heart, I read the biography of Brother Zatti and the spiritual materials about Brother Zatti written by the Rector Major for the canonization.

And throughout this preparation period, I prayed a simple short prayer: “According to the example of Brother Zatti, good Lord, grant me the grace to complete my vocation with goodness, humility, and joy. Saint Artemides Zatti, pray for me!” What made this trip even more exciting was that following the canonization of Brother Artemide Zatti, we were able to make another pilgrimage to the holy places of Don Bosco.

About 600 Salesian Brothers from all over the world and thousands of Salesian Family members attended the moving canonization ceremony presided by Pope Francis, who declared Artemides Zatti a Saint in St Peter's Square on the 9th of October. Following three days we spent in the pilgrimage in Turin, Valdocco, Colle Don Bosco.

I was captured by the Becchi visit. It was the figure of John walking the tightrope while gathering his friends with an innocent and mischievous face. So, from an early age, he was an agitator who gathered people and led them to goodness. Nine-year-old John had a revelatory dream in his little room. And with uncontrollable energy and potential 'skills', along with dynamic tireless activities, a boy armed with a clever head and strong faith became a 'friend of young people' conveying God's passionate love to them. Little John became a practical and spiritually deep 'Don Bosco'. He got all his power from God and Our Lady. He came to understand with moving tears the words of Mary, “In due time all will be understand”. That's right. I nodded at the guide's explanation that all of this was not the fulfillment of Don Bosco's dream, but that Almighty God accomplished his will through Don Bosco. I meditated on the 'providence' that God provides everything from the small room of John in Becchi. And in front of the bronze sculpture of a tightrope walking, I have asked for faith in the 'God of Providence' like Don Bosco and Brother Artemides Zatti.

In Turin, I was impressed with the sacristy and backyard of St. Francis of Assisi. The Oratory which began with the Hail Mary and a short conversation between Don Bosco and Bartolomeo Garelli, quickly spread to poor and uneducated children and filled the backyard. Like the butterfly effect, where the flap of a small butterfly's wings swirls around the earth and creates a big wind, the Oratory spread fast. Today, after 181 years, it has become a playground, a classroom, and a place of prayer for young people around the world, the home of the large Salesian family. Also, I could feel that Don Bosco was thrilled to realize the meaning of the dream he had at the age of nine, that he pondered for the rest of his life, until the day he offered a Mass with tears in the Sacred Heart of Jesus Basilica in Rome. Don Bosco's voice could be heard praying, "All this has been provided by God!"

When the priesthood vocation became difficult due to health problems, Artemides Zatti also said, "It doesn't matter whether you are a priest or a monk, as long as you can serve only God." I thought that Don Bosco would have prayed like this about helping the patients recover their health, and so Zatti becomes a “relative of the poor” and comfort them even without expensive medicines. “All these things have been provided by God!”

It was very special and nice to have such an unprecedented time and opportunity to gather together with many Salesian Brothers from all over the world. We were encouraged and encouraged by Brother Zatti’s canonization. And I was delighted to see Pope Francis up close during the special Salesian Family audience. Once again, it was a graceful time to meet Don Bosco!

Saint Artemides Zatti, pray for us!

Related news articles:

Br.Phillip-Kwa,Postnov-Economer.jpg

KOR-Philip1.jpg

KOR-Philip2.jpg

Zatti-KOR-Br-Philip-article.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )